Case collection garage find

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Ropeman

Case collection garage find

Post by Ropeman »

I was helping my girlfriend clean out her garage and noticed a Buck Knife display case with several knives piled up in the bottom. After trying to find a key for the tiny lock and then trying to pick it I just removed the screws on the hasp. What I found was not a collection of Buck knives, but some very well preserved Case knives from the early to mid 80s. Her mother owned a hardware store in the 80s and she thinks this came from there. Now I need to talk her into letting me put these in my collection :)

I knew they were all valuable, but didn't know any specifics so I had to join up here and do some research.
Attachments
IAXW2242.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case collection garage find

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find! And welcome to AAPK. You may have found it already but in addition to the member posts here, there is a good research section that can be accessed by clicking on "Research" in the header up at the top of the page.

If you have questions about a knife just post pictures of it with your questions (be as specific as possible about what you're wanting to know). ::handshake::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
TPK

Post by TPK »

Congratulations on the great find Ropeman!!! ::tu::

Wish I could help you but "I'm with stupid."

No worries though, lots of folks here with lots of knowledge. There is also a Case thread. I'm sure you can find out all you need to know there or look at the top of the page & you'll see "Research". There you can learn how to look at the stamps on the blades to figure out how old or young those actually are. Plus lots of other stuff about Case knives.

Good luck, ::tu::
Tom
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

That's quite a find! The 1980s second cut stag sells for silly high prices, usually as much as better top surface stag. She has two examples of it, the standard 5254 Trapper, 2nd knife down in the top left corner, and what I think is a 5232 Jack knife, the middle knife in the group of three knives in the bottom right corner. The ball point pen with a knife blade is unusual and the extra long banana Trapper in the top right corner is not the most common either.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That's a great find! Congratulations, hope you can get them added to your collection. ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

Very nice discovery. Your girlfriend has a great collection there. Do the right thing, and let her know exactly what she's got. She'll decide what she wants to do with them. Nevertheless, she just might love you enough to let you add them to your collection. Hope everything works out for the both of you. ::tu::
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

Thanks for the comments all! I originally told her they were worth at least $25 to $50 each without any research. She said I could have them until I took more interest. Now she says she will hold onto them until she checks with mom to find out exactly where they came from.

After doing more research here I found that my $25 to $50 each was low for several examples.

MSJ, you are correct on the 5254, but the Jack knife is a 52032. I'm not sure yet what the 0 means. If what you are calling the "banana Trapper" is the long white knife on the right side, that one is a Colonial and I have been told it's called a melon or sausage tester. If you are referring to the second column top row, that is a IV207 with 5 dots on the tang stamp.

Thanks again!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The "zero" in a Case pattern number usually means there is some deviation from the same pattern without the zero. Could be a slightly different shape or blade configuration, different bolsters, etc.
Here's a link to that info in the Research section I referenced in my previous post.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ng-system/

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Great find and welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

This is the one that's got my attention. I'd like to know what year or era this knife was made.

"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Modern Slip Joints

The knife that I called a banana Trapper is in the 6251 in the upper left corner. Case keeps making them, on and off, to supply demand which is not great. They are too long to lay in the bottom of a front pants pocket and skinny or narrow for a belt pouch knife. Banana trapper is a common name for the general shape and size. Some who do not like the pattern call them toad stickers. During recent times banana trappers were also made by Queen and Camillus. They can be found branded Winchester, Remington and Kar-Bar. I like the Camillus made Remingtons with a pen secondary blade rather than a second long blade. The pattern is so long that the pen blade winds up being about the same size as a medium pocket knife's master blade.

I want to add a Case banana Trapper to my collection one of these years. Here's my plan. I jump in and marry her ahead of you then tie her to the railroad tracks and inherit her banana Trapper. ::ds:: ::paranoid::

Just because it is fun to play ID this knife I'm going to guess that the knife XX Case XX asked about is a 6392.
Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

Thanks Doc B!

MSJ, After looking again I realized which one you were calling the banana trapper, because the other white handled knife is not a trapper style. It has 5 dots on the tang stamp and the pattern # IV207 SP SS. I have not been able to find one like it on the price guide.

The g/f is becoming frustrated with my "obsession" of her collection so I am not allowed to look at them anymore ::teary_eyes:: Maybe your plan will work to inherit that trapper!

XX Case XX, I don't have a closeup pic of that knife, but if memory serves me correct it is a 6392 and has 9 dots on the tang stamp. It has some pocket wear and patina on the blades so it's the only one to see any use of the bunch. I think that is my favorite as well!
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Ropeman wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:14 pm XX Case XX, I don't have a closeup pic of that knife, but if memory serves me correct it is a 6392 and has 9 dots on the tang stamp.
The handles appear to be well worn Stag. Are you sure it's not a 5392?

Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

XX Case XX wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:07 pm The handles appear to be well worn Stag. Are you sure it's not a 5392?
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

Ropeman wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:26 pm That is possible.
You said it had "9 Dots". Can you post a close-up picture of the tang stamp? That would be very helpful. ::nod::

gunut

Post by gunut »

if you are really interested in this girl...forget the knives unless she asks more about them.........sounds like it will just cause trouble....besides they are just knives.... :roll:
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

gunut wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:07 pm if you are really interested in this girl...forget the knives unless she asks more about them.........sounds like it will just cause trouble....besides they are just knives.... :roll:
Give up knives...for a girl?!?! Ludicrous.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Could that banana trapper be a Case Classic? ::hmm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Modern Slip Joints

1967redrider wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:01 pm Could that banana trapper be a Case Classic? ::hmm::
The research section's list of Case Classic patterns does not include 6251 or banana Trappers with other side covers.
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/co ... ern-guide/
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Modern Slip Joints wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:38 pm
1967redrider wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:01 pm Could that banana trapper be a Case Classic? ::hmm::
The research section's list of Case Classic patterns does not include 6251 or banana Trappers with other side covers.
Wow!!! ::oh_my:: That would be a Grail Knife then if it's authentic.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

The IV207 is what is referred to as a mini trapper. It has elephant ivory handles hence the letters IV. The last one of those I saw for sale went for $250, probably higher now.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Modern Slip Joints

I apologize for the confusion I created by writing in my first two posts that the banana Trapper is in the top right corner when it is in fact the top left knife. I did not figure out what I'd done in time to edit my first reply. :oops:
1967redrider wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:49 pm
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:38 pm
Wow!!! ::oh_my:: That would be a Grail Knife then if it's authentic.
I think it is safe to write that all of her knives were made before Jim Parker started the Case Classic knife line in 1989. I do not see anything that would connect her banana Trapper with the Case Classic product line. However, I'm no expert and we have not seen its tang stamps.
Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

gunut wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:07 pm if you are really interested in this girl...forget the knives unless she asks more about them.........sounds like it will just cause trouble....besides they are just knives.... :roll:
Seems like good advice from someone who understands a good woman!
Doc B wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:52 pmGive up knives...for a girl?!?! Ludicrous.
Also seems like solid advice from someone who has met some of my ex's! ::doh::
Modern Slip Joints wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:26 am I apologize for the confusion I created by writing in my first two posts that the banana Trapper is in the top right corner when it is in fact the top left knife. I did not figure out what I'd done in time to edit my first reply. :oops:
Sorry for the confusion. I see now that you mentioned "extra long trapper" That beauty is a 1982 6251SP SS. Is has "Case Collectors Club 1982" script on the blade.
gsmith7158 wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:10 am The IV207 is what is referred to as a mini trapper. It has elephant ivory handles hence the letters IV. The last one of those I saw for sale went for $250, probably higher now.
Thanks for the info! I couldn't find the IV in the handle material list. The mini trapper is from 1986.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

::rotflol:: ::nod::
Ropeman

Post by Ropeman »

XX Case XX wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:07 pm
Ropeman wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:14 pm XX Case XX, I don't have a closeup pic of that knife, but if memory serves me correct it is a 6392 and has 9 dots on the tang stamp.
The handles appear to be well worn Stag. Are you sure it's not a 5392?
I checked over the weekend and verified that this knife is a 6392 with the 70s tang stamp and 9 dots.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”