Schrade 8OT

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Schrade 8OT

Post by Jeffinn »

I received this knife from an AAPK member who’s knife I did some work on. The main blade had been ground down just a bit (about 1/8” short) so I rounded up a new blade for it (thanks Dale).
Cleaned up the two smaller blades, removed the Swinden key pins and installed pivot pins through the bolsters then installed some new smooth ruby red bone handles from Culpepper. I’m really liking the red bone from Culpepper this time around.
I was going to install the original Old Timer shield back on it but when I was prying it from the old handle it popped off and disappeared into some hidden region in the basement (maybe another dimension!) that I have not been able to locate. I ordered up some new shields so I’ll finish it up when those arrive.
84FFF16E-902C-4BE0-80A7-C9881845DA21.jpeg
E38D05E0-A433-4E05-825E-783D84B3D259.jpeg
8AA58D09-91E7-4BA4-819E-A62CAA48769F.jpeg
D84AC3C6-8261-43A5-9671-9A33B606E750.jpeg
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Schrade 8OT

Post by stockman »

Nice work

Harold
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

That is a real beauty Jeff! Great work!

Did you have to do any fitting to get the new (different) blade to work?
I have always wondered if there was any fitting for a different blade to fit an existing spring.

I LOVE that red bone...
A very nice look!

2 thumbs UP!!
::tu:: ::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Thanks Mike.
For this particular knife there was no blade fitting required. The spring end and blade end matched up well so it wasn't an issue. I'm guessing a used blade might require a bit of "finessing" to get in right but with this new blade the fit was fine.
Jeff
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

10-4... I guess the "new" blade and the knife must have been about the same vintage (?).
AND..
I guess I was thinking that some things (dimensions at the blade notch ??) might have changed from the older 8OTs to the newer 8OTs .... I guess I have learned something here! Maybe Schrade tried to keep things simple and unchanged.

Good deal.

:D
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

stockman wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:51 pm Nice work

Harold
Thanks Harold!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Jeff if it were mine I would want the shield left off. That red is pretty enough on its own. Great work.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

doglegg wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:15 pm Jeff if it were mine I would want the shield left off. That red is pretty enough on its own. Great work.
Yep, nothing at all wrong with how it "sits"... but, us Old Timer folks want to see that shield....LOL.

Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

That red pops!! ::tu::
Nice work!
Tim
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Meridian_Mike wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:20 pm
doglegg wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:15 pm Jeff if it were mine I would want the shield left off. That red is pretty enough on its own. Great work.
Yep, nothing at all wrong with how it "sits"... but, us Old Timer folks want to see that shield....LOL.

::tu:: ::tu::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I think it looks great, too...without the shield. I hate when I hear the sound of something hitting the ground...then being unable to locate it.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Something about a good red handled pocket knife! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I agree. I love Old Timers but I think the shields suck. That bone really looks good. When I do brake work I wait for the dark of the moon, zero degrees or colder, 6 inches of snow and in the gravel. Watch those little springs and parts disappear!
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

tongueriver wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:23 pm
I agree. I love Old Timers but I think the shields suck. That bone really looks good. When I do brake work I wait for the dark of the moon, zero degrees or colder, 6 inches of snow and in the gravel. Watch those little springs and parts disappear!
LOL! Perfect conditions for working on something with a lot of moving, spring loaded parts.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Now that is too true to be funny. ::nod::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That looks amazing! Good work.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I love how it looks without the shield! (And I generally prefer a shield). Sometimes, less is more.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Ozwelder

Post by Ozwelder »

A suggestion for you then.

A idea that my late Dad used. He was a watchmaker and losing parts from a watch under repair on his bench was a disaster.

Dad's answer to this problem was to pin the bottom edge of an apron to the edge of the bench and the other end was looped around his neck as per a normal apron is worn. No lost parts.
I hope it helps.

I have to say the red bone is mouth watering.
Ozwelder

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”