Case Tested 048 Linerlock ?

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Case Tested 048 Linerlock ?

Post by herbva »

I am assuming this knife is a Case 61048 slim trapper (although the auction states it is 4" and I believe the 048's are all 4 1/8"). I've never seen an 048 linerlock and would like to hear opinions. Perhaps this is a different pattern that I am not aware of. (Also looks to me like there may by a chip patch on the barehead end of the pile side that is not mentioned in the auction.) Thanks!

P.S. - I am not implying or insinuating that this is a fake, or that there is anything wrong with this knife or the well-known seller, so please do not get your panties in a wad. ::paranoid::

https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-1920-T ... 3146114388
Attachments
DSCN9112.JPG
DSCN9113.JPG
DSCN9114.JPG
DSCN9115.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case Tested 048 Linerlock ?

Post by peanut740 »

That seller has more fake knives than any other seller on Ebay. ::td:: ::td::You see that rock in the picture,move on!
Roger
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Agreed!! TN is the antique knife faking capital of the world and this guy is it's prime minister. Even if he has a knife that looks good to me I couldn't buy it simply because I doubt anything he has for sale. Amazing to many that he sells as many as he does.
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I'm guessing that knife was "built" from a Schrade linerlock?
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm Agreed!! TN is the antique knife faking capital of the world and this guy is it's prime minister. Even if he has a knife that looks good to me I couldn't buy it simply because I doubt anything he has for sale. Amazing to many that he sells as many as he does.
Here I thought ol' Sporty was the fake knife PM of Tennessee. ::hmm::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

There is a patent date on the liner lock, if it was legible it might tell where that part came from. ::hmm::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

peanut740 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:55 pm That seller has more fake knives than any other seller on Ebay. ::td:: ::td::You see that rock in the picture,move on!
True!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Looks like a cattaraugus w/ a case shield added & a case blade added, lol
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:44 pm
Gunsil wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:22 pm Agreed!! TN is the antique knife faking capital of the world and this guy is it's prime minister. Even if he has a knife that looks good to me I couldn't buy it simply because I doubt anything he has for sale. Amazing to many that he sells as many as he does.
Here I thought ol' Sporty was the fake knife PM of Tennessee. ::hmm::
I once thought that about ole sporty but he at least does sell some legit knives although he sure gilds the lily on his ads. I think these days jazzy has more messed up knives for sale than sporty. And of course mstorm is right up there with those two.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Yea I agree gunsil, The shame of mstorm is a few years ago, I listed a 25cent tested knife & I quickly learned it was a common fake equal end knife, So I listed it as such & it sold for like 35bucks to mstorm. The following week he sold it on his ebay page for 350. I knew then you gotta be careful with that dude.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ratlesnake75 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:41 pm Yea I agree gunsil, The shame of mstorm is a few years ago, I listed a 25cent tested knife & I quickly learned it was a common fake equal end knife, So I listed it as such & it sold for like 35bucks to mstorm. The following week he sold it on his ebay page for 350. I knew then you gotta be careful with that dude.
Kind Regards,
Mark
another reason why all fakes should be destroyed. Or put em in your pocket and use em.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Ken, I keep a fake Jack Knife Ben I bought 30 some or more years back which has welded on blades just to show others what not to buy. I got it in a baggie of assorted knives at an auction. I take it to shows I set up at and have it in my sales case. If somebody asks me what to look out for I whip it out and show the welded blades and replaced bone scales. I too would like to see all fakes destroyed but it sure would be a huge pile of knives. My problem with the idea is that who gets to determine what is fake. I have seen knives shown here that are called out as cobbled or fake and they were honest good knives. The book on counterfeit knives by Wisner (sp?) even has some plain old worn knives being called fake when they are just worn. I am TOTALLY amazed at how many cobbled or fake antique knives are sold on ebay. Who is accumulating all these bad knives? I am just amazed by the whole business.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Gunsil wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:46 pm Ken, I keep a fake Jack Knife Ben I bought 30 some or more years back which has welded on blades just to show others what not to buy. I got it in a baggie of assorted knives at an auction. I take it to shows I set up at and have it in my sales case. If somebody asks me what to look out for I whip it out and show the welded blades and replaced bone scales. I too would like to see all fakes destroyed but it sure would be a huge pile of knives. My problem with the idea is that who gets to determine what is fake. I have seen knives shown here that are called out as cobbled or fake and they were honest good knives. The book on counterfeit knives by Wisner (sp?) even has some plain old worn knives being called fake when they are just worn. I am TOTALLY amazed at how many cobbled or fake antique knives are sold on ebay. Who is accumulating all these bad knives? I am just amazed by the whole business.
Gerald Witcher wrote "Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery"
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The problem I have with selling a fake, even when it's an acknowledged fake, is exactly what Mark described. The new owner can re-sell it, represented as an honest knife, which is what mstorm did with the knife. If you watch eBay sales closely you will see the same scenario repeated too often.

If you choose to keep the fake, fine. It's yours to do with as you see fit. Using it as a teaching example is a noble use for it. Mark it in some way that calls attention to it being a fake. Then when the day inevitably comes that you are no longer in control of it, it's less likely to wind up back in circulation, to be offered for sale as an honest knife. Which is another good teaching opportunity and example of how to deal with fakes. ::tu:: JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

espn77

Post by espn77 »

That guy on Ebay that sells all those drilled tang stamp knives. I think someone did that to mark them as fake. Then that guy bought them and represents them as "salesman sample " knives. That's my theory on why they have that mark, because everyone of them is fake.
Treejakal

Post by Treejakal »

Sold for $270.00 plus shipping
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Treejakal wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:03 pm Sold for $270.00 plus shipping
thomastusser1-2x.jpg
Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”