Well..... I bit.... hook, line and sinker... LOL

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
Meridian_Mike

Well..... I bit.... hook, line and sinker... LOL

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I thought I had an unusual 58 OT at first. It was advertised as a "Vintage Old Timer stockman knife, Ulster Knife Company". I always look at the Ulster OTs on the bay, looking for nice examples I can add to my collection. ANYWAY..... This one sure did look unusual. The blade complement was wrong. Hmmmmmm, I got it for a good price...... $11 shipped.
Well, this morning AFTER paying...LOL.... I took a GOOD LOOK at this guy. THAT IS WHEN... I see the rocker pin. Not factory and not at all put in very well.
It's a cobbled together knife. Oh well..... I think I will try to clean it, tidy up the rocker pin and carry it. I just hope the blades fit the wells good.
The seller was "theknifeorder" and if that is someone here.... no foul, all is good. I just got an inexpensive lesson. I NEED to examine these "looks too good to be true" knives a little better in the future.

Here she is.....
(Don't laugh...)
ulster 1.jpg
ulster 2.jpg
ulster 3.jpg
ulster 4.jpg
ulster 5.jpg
And the most telling...... check out the rocker pin....
ulster 6.jpg
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Well..... I bit.... hook, line and sinker... LOL

Post by glennbad »

Don't beat yourself up too bad, we've all been fooled like that. Sometimes more than once... :oops:
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Up front, I freely confess I know little to nothing about Old Timers, especially the stockman pattern so please don't judge me too harshly on my question. Did Schrade ever make an Old Timer with a spear main blade? I don't recall ever seeing anything but a clip main blade in them. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:14 pm Did Schrade ever make an Old Timer with a spear main blade? I don't recall ever seeing anything but a clip main blade in them. ::shrug::
I don't ever recall seeing any Old Timers with a spear main blade. This is probably going to be an Ulster knife with the Old Timer sides on it... (???)

I guess I need to try to find out which Ulster this was... is.... was....
::shrug::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I wish my mistakes were only $11.00 ones. :roll:
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Amen, to that, Doglegg ::nod::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Even the $10 & $11 mistakes add up. Ask me how I know. :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

We have all been down this road. At least you have a knife you can sharpen and carry
everywhere under any conditions. If you lose it (god forbid) a little less tears will
be shed.

Bob
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

What's wrong with an $11 EDC knife? ::shrug:: I know it's not what you expected but the price was right and I would use it any day. ::nod:: It would be a nice conversation piece to show and talk about with your knife buddies. ::super_happy::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm Even the $10 & $11 mistakes add up. Ask me how I know. :lol: :lol:
LOL! I think we’ve all got a box of “good deals” laying around. Mine usually end up being parts knives (which essentially means that I can’t bring myself to throw them out so I pack them away for some “future use”).
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

1967redrider wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:25 pm What's wrong with an $11 EDC knife? ::shrug::
Well, nothing is wrong I guess.... I just thought I had snagged myself an Ulster mistake. What I got was somebody's attempt at a shoe box assembly of parts. No where on it does the knife actually say "58 OT" even though it is an Ulster with a set of Old Timer handles.

Like I said..... no foul..... Just me saying I need to pay more attention when I buy so I will know what I am getting before the money leaves my hands....

(Just thought y'all might like to learn from my boo-boo...)

:D
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

jerryd6818 wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:55 pm Even the $10 & $11 mistakes add up. Ask me how I know. :lol: :lol:
How DO you know? ::shrug::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

BatJak wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:09 pm
How DO you know? ::shrug::
Would you like to see the pile that makes my point?? Here's two recent purchases (last couple of weeks). Bought one and then as a test to see if what I thought was true, I went back to the well and got another. ::uc:: It was true. They both have sloppy half-stops. There are others which preceed these two but these were handy and fresh in my memory. Ten bucks apiece including shipping.

Gave one to my buddy today.
Attachments
1005190757-1.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
BatJak

Post by BatJak »

That was awful nice of you, Jerry ::marine_salute::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks Allen. The 1st Sgt said that was a good move. ::woot:: I was just being the guinea pig so no one else would make the same mistake. It's my altruistic side coming out. :roll:

On the bright side, I was showing them to my buddy yesterday and he was admiring it so I offered one to him. He took it but then he's a train guy and not a knife guy. :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Mike - Pretty much any knife that is $11 shipped is more fun that $11 in my wallet. You have something that is unique, anyway, and it does not look bad at all. Clean it up and enjoy, if the walk and talk are okay. Sometimes I see an old shell knife that is dirt cheap and I just cannot stop myself from buying it, even though I know it is not a quality knife. And guess what. I never regret buying!
Mel
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 pm Thanks Allen. The 1st Sgt said that was a good move. ::woot:: I was just being the guinea pig so no one else would make the same mistake. It's my altruistic side coming out. :roll:

On the bright side, I was showing them to my buddy yesterday and he was admiring it so I offered one to him. He took it but then he's a train guy and not a knife guy. :lol: :lol:
Jerry you have an altruistic side and a bright side!!?? I think I am stuck with the plain old left side and right side. :( :roll: ::shrug::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

doglegg wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:21 pm
jerryd6818 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:53 pm Thanks Allen. The 1st Sgt said that was a good move. ::woot:: I was just being the guinea pig so no one else would make the same mistake. It's my altruistic side coming out. :roll:

Jerry you have an altruistic side and a bright side!!?? I think I am stuck with the plain old left side and right side. :( :roll: ::shrug::
Now you're not leaving that one at my doorstep. Man up. Take responsibility for your plain sides. ::woot:: :lol: :lol:
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Dinadan wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:15 pm Mike - Pretty much any knife that is $11 shipped is more fun that $11 in my wallet. You have something that is unique, anyway, and it does not look bad at all. Clean it up and enjoy, if the walk and talk are okay. Sometimes I see an old shell knife that is dirt cheap and I just cannot stop myself from buying it, even though I know it is not a quality knife. And guess what. I never regret buying!
Yep, you are 100% right Mel. That will be a good one to tote and the price wasn't too awful bad.
Shoot, it just might even be fun to mechanic on and dress up a bit. I should have it in my hand (and pocket) early next week.

::tu::
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Whew! And here I was thinking I was the only one who bought rare gems and turned out to be stinkers! Yours looks a lot better than most of my mistakes!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Well, I just got this little joker in my hands. It's pretty much a train wreck.
The spear point blade that was added doesn't even get close to fitting. It doesn't EVER engage the back spring. SO... no snap, no NOTHING.
The other 2 blades look to be original to a 58 OT...... but..... the main blade must have come from a smaller knife. Look at the pull.... it just disappears down into the blade well. AND, the tip of the blade is up out of the blade well. If it were down inside then the pull would almost disappear.
main blade 2.JPG
ALSO.... This new ....LOL.... main blade that was added is too straight on the outside edge and it scrapes the liner from opening to closing. What a MESS....
Main blade 1.JPG
Well, I guess I have a parts knife I might be able to harvest a blade from.
I just looked at the sellers pictures..... They were ALL pictures with the knife open.
So there you go.

PAY ATTENTION MIKIE!!

:lol:
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

And another thing I just noticed.....

This is a 108 OT that was modded up not even a 58 OT to start with...

IT....
ulster 1.jpg
A 108 OT...
108 OT.jpg
Oh well......
::facepalm::

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”