what kind of wood is this?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
tnkingfish

what kind of wood is this?

Post by tnkingfish »

got a boker germany 2 blade damascus anyone know what kind of wood the handles are?
Attachments
100_8338.JPG
100_8339.JPG
FRJ

Re: what kind of wood is this?

Post by FRJ »

To me, it looks like Oak dyed black. Huge pins.
Joe
tnkingfish

Post by tnkingfish »

thanks, i thought it may have been some type of exotic wood having the damascus blades.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Are there cracks in the wood on the front side ?
Black wood on knives is usually ebony but the grain here is too open to be ebony.
kj
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Bog Oak.

https://www.wood-database.com/bog-oak/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bog-wood

Böker has made a number of different traditional pocket knife patterns with this handle material. Some have had 440C blades; some have had damascus blades; all have been relatively pricey. Somewhere in my accumulation, I have two single-bladed trappers (one in each blade material) with bog oak handles.
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
tnkingfish

Post by tnkingfish »

dont think its cracks looks like its just the way the wood is made i think its had the shield reglued
Attachments
100_8345.JPG
100_8346.JPG
100_8340.JPG
100_8341.JPG
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

tnkingfish wrote:dont think its cracks looks like its just the way the wood is made i think its had the shield reglued
Imperfections are commonly found in bog oak and are generally considered to be part of the wood’s charm and natural “character”. After all, this piece of wood is hundreds or perhaps thousands of years old!

Larger pieces of bog oak with fewer imperfections are quite expensive and are generally reserved for uses such as the crafting of high-end furniture where structural integrity is important.
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Greenman wrote:
tnkingfish wrote:dont think its cracks looks like its just the way the wood is made i think its had the shield reglued
Imperfections are commonly found in bog oak and are generally considered to be part of the wood’s charm and natural “character”. After all, this piece of wood is hundreds or perhaps thousands of years old!

Larger pieces of bog oak with fewer imperfections are quite expensive and are generally reserved for uses such as the crafting of high-end furniture where structural integrity is important.
+1 not ebony but like king fish has said bog oak.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Of course the shield has been reglued! That is part of being a Boker! Not putting down the knife, I have several Bokers and love them but they do tend to let go of their shields. And the wood on that one does have character. ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greenman, thanks for posting about bog oak. It is new to me and you gave the basic facts. I really enjoy learning something new.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”