Dads knives

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
JnBama

Dads knives

Post by JnBama »

Hi all joined yesterday , been looking for info on my dads CASE knives . He was a WWII Vet and retired from hardware store so had several knives over the years. He passed away 2004 and I found a few knives packed away , he still had one taken away from me when a kid . I gave some to cousins, Bro in law and kept three . In the photo mine is on top 63087 and his two a 6208 and 6229 1/2 . I'm sure both were used everyday 6208 is solid but no snap and the oldest still has snap and straight . Would also like to know the handle material- Thanks Jeff
Doc B

Re: Dads knives

Post by Doc B »

Hi, welcome to AAPK! Very nice knives, to have from your father. They are certainly all bone handled. More knowledgeable Case folks can probably give you some more info. ::welcome::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

JnBama wrote:Hi all joined yesterday , been looking for info on my dads CASE knives . He was a WWII Vet and retired from hardware store so had several knives over the years. He passed away 2004 and I found a few knives packed away , he still had one taken away from me when a kid . I gave some to cousins, Bro in law and kept three . In the photo mine is on top 63087 and his two a 6208 and 6229 1/2 . I'm sure both were used everyday 6208 is solid but no snap and the oldest still has snap and straight . Would also like to know the handle material- Thanks Jeff
Jeff your 63087 has delrin scales/handles. Case started using the shield that is on that knife in 1973 to denote that the handle material on knives with that shield are not bone. The other two knives are bone. Great family keepsakes. I hope this helps.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

I knew smarter Case folks, would come along. ::facepalm:: I was under the impression that the first # (6) was the handle material, bone...I stand corrected.
Thanks Ed!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
JnBama

Post by JnBama »

Landersknives wrote:
JnBama wrote:Hi all joined yesterday , been looking for info on my dads CASE knives . He was a WWII Vet and retired from hardware store so had several knives over the years. He passed away 2004 and I found a few knives packed away , he still had one taken away from me when a kid . I gave some to cousins, Bro in law and kept three . In the photo mine is on top 63087 and his two a 6208 and 6229 1/2 . I'm sure both were used everyday 6208 is solid but no snap and the oldest still has snap and straight . Would also like to know the handle material- Thanks Jeff
Jeff your 63087 has delrin scales/handles. Case started using the shield that is on that knife in 1973 to denote that the handle material on knives with that shield are not bone. The other two knives are bone. Great family keepsakes. I hope this helps.
Thank You , the oldest may have belonged to Grand Pa ,he was the whittler , sharpener and handyman . I have taken an interest and plan on collecting a few pocket knives nothing real expensive or fancy. I see Milan TN , lived there 2000 -08 and moved down here close to my sister
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! It's always great to have family heirloom knives as they're priceless keepsakes. Good of you to share his knives with other family members. Hopefully they will treasure them accordingly.

That 6229-1/2 is what collectors call the "Tadpole" . It's the smallest pattern Case made. I don't normally like small knives but the Tadpole is the exception - it's one of my favorites. ::tu::

Thanks for showing them to us.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Great collection, as everyone else has said, great to have some family heirlooms and a connection with your dad and that period of history. You have already seen the knowledge on this forum, so enjoy your time on it my friend. ::handshake:: :)
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Welcome to AAPK. Don’t give up on having any snap in the blades - they look pretty full and probably aren’t worn enough to have worn down tangs. Flush them good with hot soapy water (Dawn), then blow them out with compressed air and oil the joints with light gun oil. They may surprise your by regaining the snap. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

Those are some very special knives. Thank you for sharing.
-Tim
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Jeff,

Welcome to the forum. My first Case was similar to yours, 6308 from 1978. Don't
be surprised if you stay around here for any length in time you will be getting
interested in collecting more knives. :D

Bob
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Awesome family heirlooms!! Thanks for showing us!! :)
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Welcome, from a fellow Alabamian! I live about an hour East of Huntsville!
You have already received great info and important advice.
Those are some pretty knives, and I know that they are priceless to you. I hope you can pass them down for generations to appreciate and enjoy!

But, for the most important question:
Roll Tide, or War Eagle?
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
JnBama

Post by JnBama »

Thanks for the welcomes have other stuff in my album. I'm not a big fan but do like college football , my bro in law is a Iowa Hawkeyes fan.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

Not a big fan either, just love to joke about it. I am an Alabama fan, but my daughter earned a Doctorate degree from Auburn.
Personally, I just love to pick on everybody!
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Awesome that you used to live in Milan. The 6229 1/2 that Ken mentioned is a nice knife for sure. They are small but highly collectible. I should have welcomed you properly but I have had a lot on my mind lately. Sure am glad your here though and I am positive you will enjoy your stay. Great group here with some amazing administrators and the big boss man Bryan is pretty awesome as well. I hope your small start will lead to many years of collecting/accumulating bliss. Another way you may be able to bring some or all the snap back is with “Gun Scrubber” they sell it pretty much wherever they sell gun cleaning supplies. Spray the well good and work the blades. Blow it out and oil it up. Need anything just holler. Your friend in knives, Ed “Landersknives” Landers.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
JnBama

Post by JnBama »

Old Hunter wrote:Welcome to AAPK. Don’t give up on having any snap in the blades - they look pretty full and probably aren’t worn enough to have worn down tangs. Flush them good with hot soapy water (Dawn), then blow them out with compressed air and oil the joints with light gun oil. They may surprise your by regaining the snap. OH
I flushed it soap and water ,blew it out with electronics duster could see bubbles come out from between the springs . I then oiled and let it sit awhile then blew out some crud , blades worked a little better. Very glad since cleaned can see some color and grain of bone handles. May do it over again with air nozzle at work, thanks for the advise
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Glad it worked for you and glad to have you here at AAPK. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”