US Army Pocket Knives of WWII

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
PvtRossi

Re: US Army Pocket Knives of WWII

Post by PvtRossi »

I finally was able to obtain copies of the Silvey books and read through them. Could I post pictures from it, without infringing on copyright?
The Camillus pocket knife (also made by other companies) and normally marked USA on the shield is, according to Silvey, and Engineers knife (unlike the Pocket, Knife, General Purpose that was supposed to replace most knives then in use, including the mess kit knife). Even though millions were made it still sounds like an item that the common infantryman or regular GI would have carried. So I believe that for my pre-1944 impression I will try to find a PX version or, better still, a period-correct civilian pocket knife, hopefully including also a can opener and bottle opener. Not sure if that was a thing for civilian pocket knives in the 1930s and 1940s, however.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I think you were on the right track with the knives in your initial post. The most common pattern having a can opener and bottle opener (cap lifter) is the scout/utility pattern. Also sometimes called a camper pattern. It was adopted as an official knife of the Boy Scouts of America around 1912. Unofficial scout/utility knives were made by almost every American knife maker (or they had them made for them with their name stamped on them, by Camillus and others). Here’s a thread dedicated to the pattern, containing both official and unofficial versions. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874#p103392

Of soldiers carrying “civilian” knives, many undoubtedly had one of these. If a civilian knife with can opener and botttke opener fits your needs, find a scout/utility knife from pre-1944 and you’ll be all set. JMO

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

This topic reminds me of a conversation I had with the late Tom Williams; he was the official historian of Camillus Cutlery as well as a 30-year employee.
Tom told me once that at the beginning of World War II the military was not prepared with knives for issue. He said we at Camilla and most Cutlery companies in America shipped just about every hunting knife we had to the military. They issued many of these fixed blade hunting knives to Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines. There was even a civilian knife drive where are the civilian population of the United States donated knives to the military to be issued to soldiers. I believe that included both fixed blade and folding knives.

My conversation with Tom, focused primarily on fixed blade hunting knives but I expect the military probably bought knives that had originally been made for the civilian Market and issued them to the Troops. They may have not been official military patterns but they where in all likelihood issued or given to the Troops.

As far as a period correct knife for your reenactment purposes goes, most any knife made prior to the start of the war potentially could have ended up in the hands of the troops. Do if the knife was made prior to 1941 I would think it would be right for your reenactment as this could have been a knife used by the greatest generation.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
PvtRossi

Post by PvtRossi »

Again, I want to thank y'all for your contributions to this threat and the help y'all are giving me for answering such a specific question, posed by somebody who is abysmally ignorant on the topic of pocket knives, for purposes other than collecting pocket knives. I truly appreciate it.
Mumbleypeg wrote:I think you were on the right track with the knives in your initial post. The most common pattern having a can opener and bottle opener (cap lifter) is the scout/utility pattern. Also sometimes called a camper pattern. It was adopted as an official knife of the Boy Scouts of America around 1912. Unofficial scout/utility knives were made by almost every American knife maker (or they had them made for them with their name stamped on them, by Camillus and others). Here’s a thread dedicated to the pattern, containing both official and unofficial versions. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12874#p103392
Of soldiers carrying “civilian” knives, many undoubtedly had one of these. If a civilian knife with can opener and botttke opener fits your needs, find a scout/utility knife from pre-1944 and you’ll be all set. JMO

Ken
Ken, thank you. Yes, that's what I am oriented toward now, a boy scout knife or a civilian knife 1930s or early 1940s. The thread you linked is amazing (194 pages!) and the collections there are astounding.
Unfortunately though most of the times I cannot see the adoption date / manufacture date of the knives presented in it, which is crucial for my goal obviously. I guess finding the official Boy Scouts of America knife of 1912 won't be hard. Finding other non-official scout knives or civilians knife made in the 1930s / early 1940s will not be easy for me, since my knowledge on the subject is so limited that I don't know how to date pocket knives, not even approximately.
I believe somebody in this thread mentioned that bone handles are a telling sign can show if they are pre-WWII manufacture or not (while synthetic handles is a post-war sign). Any other telling signs of a pre-WWII style pocket knife? What about wood handles?
orvet wrote:This topic reminds me of a conversation I had with the late Tom Williams; he was the official historian of Camillus Cutlery as well as a 30-year employee.
Tom told me once that at the beginning of World War II the military was not prepared with knives for issue. He said we at Camilla and most Cutlery companies in America shipped just about every hunting knife we had to the military. They issued many of these fixed blade hunting knives to Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines. There was even a civilian knife drive where are the civilian population of the United States donated knives to the military to be issued to soldiers. I believe that included both fixed blade and folding knives.
My conversation with Tom, focused primarily on fixed blade hunting knives but I expect the military probably bought knives that had originally been made for the civilian Market and issued them to the Troops. They may have not been official military patterns but they where in all likelihood issued or given to the Troops.
As far as a period correct knife for your reenactment purposes goes, most any knife made prior to the start of the war potentially could have ended up in the hands of the troops. Do if the knife was made prior to 1941 I would think it would be right for your reenactment as this could have been a knife used by the greatest generation.
Yes, the "civilian knife drive" is also mentioned in the Silvvey. Something extremely interesting that I had no idea happened. It's truly a showcase example of the military unpreparedness of the US at the outbreak of the war, a stark difference from the situation of mid-1945.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I borrowed this picture from http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... tchblades/ which you may find interesting. Lots of great military knife information on that website!
Attachments
Screenshot_20190901-121038.png
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
PvtRossi

Post by PvtRossi »

1967redrider wrote:I borrowed this picture from http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ ... tchblades/ which you may find interesting. Lots of great military knife information on that website!
US Militaria is an awesome place. Lots of info for sure, but in this specific case it's all about the M-2 paratrooper knife...very familiar with that picture, which is the gear carried by paratrooper rifleman with grenade launcher of 503rd Parachute Infantry Battalion for the drop on Nadzab, New Guinea, in September 1943. M-2 switchblades are sweet, but very unlikely a normal grunt would carry one
PvtRossi

Post by PvtRossi »

I wonder, for example, if either one of these two knives are period-correct and could be ok for me to use. Anybody can help in dating them?
s-l1600.jpg
s-l160d0.jpg
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

They both appear to have delrin handles, which would place them in the early 60's at the earliest.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
PvtRossi

Post by PvtRossi »

knifeaholic wrote:They both appear to have delrin handles, which would place them in the early 60's at the earliest.
I understand! Thank you knifeaholic. I can't distinguish real bone handles from synthetic material handles. Any advice or pointers?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”