American made traditional

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
OSCAR

American made traditional

Post by OSCAR »

I found a site that has Utica (made in USA) knives. Are they any good? How do they compare to say the old Camillus in quality? Thanks OSCAR
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
FRJ

Re: American made traditional

Post by FRJ »

Here's a old Utica dog leg. Great old knife.
Attachments
DSCN4246.JPG
DSCN4259.JPG
DSCN4262.JPG
DSCN4265.JPG
DSCN4266.JPG
Joe
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

beautiful!
thanks for sharing...How is the quality?
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

No Utica, but I have several Kutmasters and contract knives (Klein Tools). Personally, I find it depends. My older ones are on par with a Camillus; while the newer ones aren't a whole lot better than Bear and Sons. And that's on a brand new hawkbill that came fresh out of a wrapper. The liner locks, no matter how old, never work right. They always have a ton of up/down play. And this dates from Granddad's old coal mine work knife Klein, made in the late 1970s, all the way up to the new Kutmaster. And this is on the coping and hawkbill patterns.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Cody. They look nice but from what you are saying, the new ones are mediocre. I’ll keep an eye out for vintage ones.
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

OSCAR wrote:I found a site that has Utica (made in USA) knives. Are they any good? How do they compare to say the old Camillus in quality? Thanks OSCAR
Try this (it's safe): viewtopic.php?f=35&t=8074
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

OSCAR wrote:beautiful!
thanks for sharing...How is the quality?
I haven't owned this knife for very long. I haven't sharpened it or carried it yet. It has some kind of plastic covers.
It is solid and has good action. Now I'll have to dig it out and pack it for a while. I'm glad to own it. ::nod::
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I found these other Utica's. They are well made knives. The jacks have half stops. The little leg knife does not.

Now I am packing the black jack.
Attachments
DSCN9273.JPG
DSCN9276.JPG
DSCN9278.JPG
Joe
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I really like that Utica Lady's Leg. Never see that many with two blades. Does the heel open a bottle? I personally can't stand the pattern, but old ones are really growing on me. I've wanted a Remington for ages--but just keep seeing the ripoffs made in the 1980s in Japan. At least finding originals is easy--the heel typically has a hook for opening bottles in it.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Most of the Utica knives I have seen are older, circa WWII or before. Maybe a Utica collector could say for sure when they started stamping most of their knives with the Kutmaster name, but I think it was somewhere around WWII.
I think the older stuff stamped Utica, is on par with most of the other knives made during that time.
They were producing some nice looking bone handled knives a few years ago, but I haven't used one to know how good they are.

I have no idea about the more recent stuff that is imported.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

The Kutmaster stamp has been used since 1937.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here’s a U.S.A. Utica made within the last few years. Very good quality fit and finish, Delrin handle covers. On par with Camillus, better than Bear & Sons IMHO. Limited sample size but I bought two of these and both were good. Got them off the Utica web site IIRC. https://uticausa.com/. From the homepage go to products>everyday carry, then scroll down. Most of the U.S.A.-made line now appears to be tacticals and fixed blades but there are a couple of traditional patterns in the on-line catalog.

Ken
Attachments
E26A76CC-A1C4-4F67-9644-E2F81A78BCBB.jpeg
63703A6B-FDF8-4B13-89AC-A8BB8EF290A3.jpeg
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Here’s a U.S.A. Utica made within the last few years. Very good quality fit and finish, Delrin handle covers. On par with Camillus, better than Bear & Sons IMHO. Limited sample size but I bought two of these and both were good. Got them off the Utica web site IIRC. https://uticausa.com/. From the homepage go to products>everyday carry, then scroll down. Most of the U.S.A.-made line now appears to be tacticals and fixed blades but there are a couple of traditional patterns in the on-line catalog.

Ken
I believe these are genuine bone. I've got a couple of these newer Uticas and there bone.
Eye Brand Collector
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I just ordered two. Thanks for the recommendations. Oscar
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

It looks like Utica discontinued most of their US made slipjoints. A few years ago on their website they has maybe 20 to 30 different models including trappers, stock knives, barlows, and TL-29 style electricians knives, many bone, some delrin and wood, all made in USA.

Looks like they are now down to only one trapper in smooth white bone.

They were making a lot of patterns for Moore Maker, not sure of they still are.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Eye Brand Man wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:Here’s a U.S.A. Utica made within the last few years. Very good quality fit and finish, Delrin handle covers. On par with Camillus, better than Bear & Sons IMHO. Limited sample size but I bought two of these and both were good. Got them off the Utica web site IIRC. https://uticausa.com/. From the homepage go to products>everyday carry, then scroll down. Most of the U.S.A.-made line now appears to be tacticals and fixed blades but there are a couple of traditional patterns in the on-line catalog.

Ken
I believe these are genuine bone. I've got a couple of these newer Uticas and there bone.
You are correct sir! I had forgotten but after seeing your post I looked, and indeed it is bone. Very nice bone too! ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Received the USA Utica I bought today. Beautifully made. Tight, great snap, no wobble and great edge ! On further examination, I noticed a milled out void in the handle. It had been missing the shield! Got it new on Amazon. If it was meant to be a working knife I could care less. I bought it as a collectible. No it didn’t fall out. The shield wasn’t in the box and the knife was wrapped in paper. There appears to be no residual cement in that spot. Would seem it left the factory that way. I’ll contact them to see if they can send me a shield. I won’t return for exchange. Might get a worse one. Other than that, it is superbly made. I guess it can serve as a working tool if Ithaca don’t make it right. Could also be Amazon undercuts everyone else by selling seconds?
Has anyone else gotten flawed merchandise from Amazon? Just curious if I should pay more elsewhere and get what I am supposed to get for the money. Thanks !
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

OSCAR wrote:Received the USA Utica I bought today. Beautifully made. Tight, great snap, no wobble and great edge ! On further examination, I noticed a milled out void in the handle. It had been missing the shield! Got it new on Amazon. If it was meant to be a working knife I could care less. I bought it as a collectible. No it didn’t fall out. The shield wasn’t in the box and the knife was wrapped in paper. There appears to be no residual cement in that spot. Would seem it left the factory that way. I’ll contact them to see if they can send me a shield. I won’t return for exchange. Might get a worse one. Other than that, it is superbly made. I guess it can serve as a working tool if Ithaca don’t make it right. Could also be Amazon undercuts everyone else by selling seconds?
Has anyone else gotten flawed merchandise from Amazon? Just curious if I should pay more elsewhere and get what I am supposed to get for the money. Thanks !
All but one of my Bear and Sons were obviously seconds, and all came from Amazon. While not marked as such, the quality was bad--so bad that they were safety hazards. Boxes on a couple had been retaped. Finally ,I said to heck with it, and bought an older Sears Craftsman 45201 (a rebranded Bear Jaws, sold in the 1990s). Now it's actually good.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Cody, I am not doubting it after my experience. I contacted Utica knife to see if they can send me a shield. They called me right back stating that they hadn’t made this knife in years. They said they will send one if they can find one. Apparently it is new old stock. Nevertheless it’s a beautiful knife . It would be great if they can find me the shield as this is a collectible and not a working knife but either way it’s a keeper thanks now
CE1D4A7C-D315-43FA-BE09-4CE340B1C89A.jpeg
I learned my lesson. No more knife purchases from Amazon !!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I wish Utica still made traditional folders.
Attachments
86E5B5DF-CC62-44EE-8CED-CB3CEE226776.jpeg
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

cody6268 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:28 pm
OSCAR wrote:Received the USA Utica I bought today. Beautifully made. Tight, great snap, no wobble and great edge ! On further examination, I noticed a milled out void in the handle. It had been missing the shield! Got it new on Amazon. If it was meant to be a working knife I could care less. I bought it as a collectible. No it didn’t fall out. The shield wasn’t in the box and the knife was wrapped in paper. There appears to be no residual cement in that spot. Would seem it left the factory that way. I’ll contact them to see if they can send me a shield. I won’t return for exchange. Might get a worse one. Other than that, it is superbly made. I guess it can serve as a working tool if Ithaca don’t make it right. Could also be Amazon undercuts everyone else by selling seconds?
All but one of my Bear and Sons were obviously seconds, and all came from Amazon. While not marked as such, the quality was bad--so bad that they were safety hazards. Boxes on a couple had been retaped. Finally ,I said to heck with it, and bought an older Sears Craftsman 45201 (a rebranded Bear Jaws, sold in the 1990s). it's actually good.
Cody, I had similar experiences with knives from Amazon
I quit buying from them.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

OSCAR wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2019 7:51 pm I wish Utica still made traditional folders.
Can you post a picture of this knife with the main blade open.
I have the same one and the blade opens past 180°.
I find this annoying. Other than that I really like it.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Oscar! You are aware that the last post in this thread is from over a year ago, aren't you? ::uc:: Jus' a thought! 8)
8)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”