Jantz Knife Kits

The place to show off and discuss factory manufactured knives customized with scrimshaw, inlays, file work, etc...
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Jantz Knife Kits

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Some of you may have seen these either in the Jantz catalog or on their website. I always wanted to try one of their knife kits, and recently had a chance to do some trading with a guy that had a couple extra which I picked up for a few bucks equivalent. The smaller one is the SS771 Lynx kit and the larger one is the SS724 Bighorn. I just did the 4 inch overall closed SS771 and will discuss that one at this time. The kit is a very well made assortment of all the parts needed, except handle material. The blade is 3/32" thick, the brass liners are .040", and includes nickle silver bolsters, which are spot welded to the liners. The handle pin material is .072", frame pins are .079", and the pivot pin is .100", all of which are included. The pivot pin comes with a nice domed head on one end, so I used it that way and domed the other end when assembling. The kit is marked "Made in Japan" with a removable sticker. I decided to go with some handle material that I had gotten from Culpepper, called Autumn Gold Smooth bone.
SS771 kit showing all the parts.
IMG_3063.JPG
Finished.
IMG_3066.JPG
IMG_3067.JPG
The parts all fit together nicely, the holes all align perfectly, even the locking bar fit into the blade recess without any fitting or adjustment. If I had only one thing to criticize about the kit, it would be that there is a little space between the liner and the spot welded bolster on one side, but it is not real noticeable.
IMG_3069.JPG
I think if someone was looking to build a customizable knife without going to all the trouble to build from scratch, a knife kit like this may be the way to go.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Byrd

Re: Jantz Knife Kits

Post by Byrd »

Nice write-up and good work. I've looked at those kits and wondered how they would fit up. You may have encouraged me to get one!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Nice job! It's a good looking knife! Do you know what type of steel they used, for the blade? ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Doc B wrote:Nice job! It's a good looking knife! Do you know what type of steel they used, for the blade? ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
The pamphlet that contains the instructions states that the blade is 440-C. I was looking on the Jantz website and I don't see the SS771 listed. They still do list the other one I have and will be showing when it is complete, the SS724. They also have other folder kits. It would be a good way for someone to get their feet wet in knife making and assembly to try the first time out. However, they are not cheap, as the SS724 current listing on the website is $69.95 for the kit. Fortunately I only have a fraction of that in these two kits.
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Oooh...that is pricey. You can pick up some pretty neat old ones, to redo...for that.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Doc B wrote:Oooh...that is pricey. You can pick up some pretty neat old ones, to redo...for that.
Right you are. I have an older catalog and they used to have kits that started in at $20. It appears that now they have dropped some of them and the cheapest one is about $35.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Good job on that joker! Sure does look nice!
Thanks for the review!

Mike
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
wizrd

Post by wizrd »

Nice write up on the folder kits. Gives me encouragement to try one - my technical skills are - measure with a micrometer, - mark with chalk - cut with an axe.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I finally got around to finishing the other knife kit I mentioned above. This one is a 4 inch lockblade which like the one above is a Japanese made kit from Jantz. All the parts fit together nicely, all holes line up perfectly and the locking mechanism fit perfectly and did not require any adjustment. The bolsters are .140" thick nickle silver, blade at tang is .118" thick, pivot pin is 118", rocker pin is .099", spring pins are .079". The blade has a faux Damascus etch. I decided to go with some stag for the handle material. The only problem I had was because I went with stag that is somewhat thicker than the mfg allowed for, the .079" spring pins are too short. Luckily I had some .078" nickle silver on hand to make longer pins.

A little extra is allowed on the spine to sand flush.
IMG_3521.JPG
IMG_3522.JPG
The faux Damascus blade etch
IMG_3523.JPG
Finished product.
IMG_3524.JPG
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Looks good OC! Love me a lockback ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great job, OC. Very attractive knife. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Byrd

Post by Byrd »

OC, that is a striking looking knife! Good job!
If the thunder don't get you then the lightening will!
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Byrd wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:00 pm OC, that is a striking looking knife! Good job!
I agree......It sho' is!
I might have to look into these kits!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne

Return to “Customized Factory Knives”