SMF Solingen Gentlemans Knife (sitting king logo)

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
freetradz

SMF Solingen Gentlemans Knife (sitting king logo)

Post by freetradz »

Hello,
Looking for some information on recent aquisition. Only information I have been able to find is a WWII paratrooper knife with same logo. Any information would be much appreciated. (pics are pretty lame - sorry)
THANKS.

Newbe to the site - please school me if I did something wrong ...
phone pics 5-20-10 372.jpg
Attachments
phone pics 5-20-10 145.jpg
rangerbluedog

Re: SMF Solingen Gentlemans Knife (sitting king logo)

Post by rangerbluedog »

According to LEVINE'S GUIDE TO KNIVES AND THEIR VALUES, this knife was made by Stocker & Co. in Solingen, Germany.
The company made knives from 1897 to circa 1970. They used the SMF stamp after 1933. Before that, they used "Solingen Metallwarenfabrik".
Welcome to AAPK!
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
Landman007

Post by Landman007 »

New guy, first post... to a very old post.

I ran across this post while researching (via google) a similar knife I have. On my knife the scales are gold/brass in color with ornate scrolling; one side has a signature in cursive and the other has a copper emblem dated 1938. It has a large blade, as small blade, and a fingernail file. What I have noticed is that the large blade is stamped with "Solinger Metallwaren Fabrik" and the small blade is stamped with "SMF Solingen" with the sitting king. Please note the difference in spelling between Solinger and Solingen.

Could this be a "transitional" knife?

What is with the spelling?
Landman007

Post by Landman007 »

IMG_1046.jpeg
IMG_1047.jpeg
IMG_1048.jpeg
IMG_1049.jpeg
freetradz

Post by freetradz »

Wow...long time first response. THANKS. The limited information I derived was historically HITLER preferred knife vendor was the sitting king mfg. Beyond that I have not deciphered any additional information. Please pass on any additional information you uncover.
Thanks
rangerbluedog

Post by rangerbluedog »

This is kind of circular logic, but the FAMILY NAME, "SOLINGER" has a history that basically ties the family to the area of the city of SOLINGEN.
So the SOLINGER family, whose roots are in SOLINGEN had a company called SOLINGER METALLWARENFABRIK, in the city of SOLINGEN.
That's why the blade is marked both with SOLINGER METALLWARENFABRIK and SOLINGEN.

That's my opinion anyways...
s-l600.jpg
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have never heard of "Stocker & Co." or seen it marked on a knife. "SMF" was a knife manufacturer but how is it related to "Stocker" ?
kj.
Landman007

Post by Landman007 »

I haven't dug to deep but when I google "stocker & co smf knife" there are many references to Stocker & Co as the manufacturer of SMF. I am not at all saying this is the case, though there are a lot of references to this. I will continue to dig as time permits.
Landman007

Post by Landman007 »

Assuming that Stocker & Co and SMF are one in the same. Where does Solinger come in to play?
Landman007

Post by Landman007 »

Solinger Metallwaren-Fabrik Stocker & Co SMF... is the same company.
rangerbluedog wrote:According to LEVINE'S GUIDE TO KNIVES AND THEIR VALUES, this knife was made by Stocker & Co. in Solingen, Germany.
The company made knives from 1897 to circa 1970. They used the SMF stamp after 1933. Before that, they used "Solingen Metallwarenfabrik".
Welcome to AAPK!
If they used the SMF stamp after 1933 and if they used the "Solinger Metallwaren Fabrik" prior to 1933, is my knife a "transitional" knife?

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”