USA BULLDOG/GEC

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

USA BULLDOG/GEC

Post by Quick Steel »

In the final 2 or 3 years of Bulldog's wonderful run of German made knives, manufacturing included USA made knives buy GEC. It is my understanding, subject to most welcome correction, that about 17 models were made during this time and were serial numbered.

This particular knife is "007. The certificate which came with it identifies it as a special shop run of 42 knives. Further: #25 Liner Lock-4 1/2" closed. 1095 Carbon Steel-Frontier Bone, Bulldog USA. This was made in 2009. I suspect the Bulldog knives ceased production in 2010. I do not know who the current owner of the China made Bulldogs which are a far lesser product than the original Solingen/USA knives.

F&F are superb. It has half stops. If anyone has information concerning the USA Bulldogs kindly share it or direct me to it.
P1030392 (2).JPG
P1030393 (2).JPG
P1030394 (2).JPG
P1030395 (2).JPG
P1030397 (2).JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: USA BULLDOG/GEC

Post by doglegg »

QS the handles are very knice. And a great pick up. I'm not familiar with the GEC made ones at all but that one sure looks great. A very substantial knife. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::handshake::
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

You can add this one to that cool display case you just bought!!! ::nod::

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Mike it is too big for that case.

doglegg, I knew that they existed but that is all. This one is the first I've seen. It impresses me in every way.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Does anyone know if during the final years when BDs were made in the U.S. were BDs simultaneously continuing at Olbertz in Solingen. Any info will be appreciated.

Also, I forgot to mention that besides the USA BDs being made by GEC some were made by Queen.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Shaken not stirred? You need a matching .32 PPK that hits like a brick through a plate glass window. :wink: Seriously, I have two black bone Schatt & Morgan 4 1/2" English Jack Knives with serial number 007. One has a clip master, the other a spear. Another knife or two with that s/n would be cool.

Is your Bulldog's handle bone or stag? The roughness makes it look like stag but the symmetry looks like bone. It looks great what ever it is. The only thing I know about GEC Bulldogs is that I've always been out bid on them.

I have a question for Bulldog collectors. Before production went to China did all Bulldogs have carbon steel blades? I've not seen one from either Germany or the USA advertised as stainless.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

MSJ, You have a good memory for dialog.

MY knife covers are made with what GEC/Bulldog calls Frontier Bone. At first glance I thought of stag. But I do like the look of the bone.

Bulldog did make stainless blades. They would usually be marked on one of the tangs as Rostfrei (rust free=stainless). I believe most if not all of BD fixed blades were stainless in addition to a variety of pocket knives.
sunknife

Post by sunknife »

Very attractive knife QS, pretty solidly built too I imagine. I like the liner lock feature for that one although I'm sure it would preform fine without it.
The frontier bone looks fantastic on that knife as well. I'd be proud to own that one myself, a gem. ::tu::
Greg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Thank you Greg. For carry I think it definitely needs a good leather scabbard.

Return to “European-made knives”