the stainless military utuility knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Re: the stainless military utuility knife

Post by kootenay joe »

What this thread shows is that Silvey's short piece on these knives is incomplete. He does not mention Kingston or Stevenson or "U.S. Marine Corps".
The book is titled "Pocket Knives of the United States Military" so one would expect it to mention all the manufacturers and all variations for every pattern. In the 7 lines he devotes to these metal handled knives he seems to have left out a significant amount.
kj
eveled

Post by eveled »

As a collector of these I was disappointed when I read the book.

He left out the important WW2 part. Military pocket knives have always been tough to get info on. Just not exciting enough.

Almost like collecting military typewriters. Lol.

It’s been fun for me to go through that drawer of knives again. It’s been a while since they caught my attention.
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is an original ad for the knives with the initials that SMKW sold to the general public. I don't condone or agree with many of the current business practices of SMKW. I also feel their modern catalogs should have a warning label on the cover that they may cause nausea to a serious knife enthusiast, BUT these older catalogs are great and have a wealth of information. I'm in hopes I can find others and continue to share the information.
Attachments
c 1.jpg
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
eveled

Post by eveled »

That’s a great add. Do you know the date? Thanks.
just bob

Post by just bob »

It's from the 1995 Christmas catalog. So far I have only found 2 of these catalogs.
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Page shot from M H Cole’s Book III. OH
Attachments
0B015296-F78A-4174-891D-C5F23F0CC2D7.jpeg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Cole shows a bailless one there though and I don't think it is a true military knife. Cole was an early military knife writer and a lot less info was available when he wrote those books and there are mistakes in them.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”