Knife patttern (no number on tang)

The Remington Corporation and the knives that they built have influenced the U.S. cutlery industry more than nearly any other manufacturer. From the time America was settled, to the end of WWI, American knife companies struggled to compete with Britain and German imports, but events that occurred during and after the First World War led to a great change in this phenomenon. Unprecedented opportunities arose, and Remington stepped up to seize the moment. In the process, they created some of today's most prized collectables. In an ironic twist, the next World War played the greatest role in ending the company’s domination of the industry.
RAD

Knife patttern (no number on tang)

Post by RAD »

958E8D83-34DE-4800-9BD8-4BB0379DA266.jpeg
06559E2C-FC7A-4CDF-AA13-39156BF290B2.jpeg
Need help with pattern and value on this one. Stamp indicates manufactured between 1933 and 1935. It’s in really good condition. Some minor corrosion in a couple of spots on edge of liners and on the surface of couple of pins. Looks like it was carried but never really used or sharpened. Any help appreciated.
Gunsil

Re: Knife patttern (no number on tang)

Post by Gunsil »

I think the pattern may be called "counterfeit". I do not believe it is a real Remington.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Ditto.
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK RAD. Unfortunately as others have already said, the knife is a fake. And a poor one at that. Sorry if that disappoints you, but it is what it is. It has no collector value. Put it in your pocket and use it - that’s its only value.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
RAD

Post by RAD »

Thanks guys. I kind of suspected. It looks like they took it apart and then put it back together with the blades on the wrong end. And blade combination is weird too.
(Thanking God I didn’t pay anything for it! It was given to me for doing her a favor. It was he deceased husbands knife and she wouldn’t have known it was counterfeit.)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

RAD, sorry it's not a million dollar old Remington, but glad it is a neat knife. Fun to own, carry or just look at and talk about. And the handles look pretty good too. ::tu::
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

The handle scales appear to be Abalone shell. I would call it a customized knife or somebodies home project rather than a counterfit. I don't think it was made to deceive anyone. Neat knife to own and carry.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Remumc wrote:The handle scales appear to be Abalone shell. I would call it a customized knife or somebodies home project rather than a counterfit. I don't think it was made to deceive anyone. Neat knife to own and carry.

Really?? Remington never made that pattern handle, and they never made a knife with that blade configuration. Nothing on that knife was made by Remington. It is not a customized Remington, it is a pure and simple fake. I would also bet the blades which were not made by Remington are also made of cheap steel and would likely not make a good carry knife.
pearlroosterman

Post by pearlroosterman »

I agree. Any counterfeit is just that and frankly, I invested a heck of a lot of money to put together a decent collection of true Remingtons and any fakes that enter the market are a problem. This is really a problem for folks new to the hobby and get burned. No telling how many people we have lost from the hobby due to frustration of this stuff. If the counterfeiters were not profiting they would stop doing it. I would hope that most collectors will take the fakes out of circulation. Ok, I will get off my box..... lol.
John
AREMINGTONSEDGE

Post by AREMINGTONSEDGE »

::dang:: ::not_saying:: ::watching_you:: ::not_saying:: ::censored:: I agree completely!!! I have already ranted on this subject! ::uc::
Rocky, AKA- AREMINGTONSEDGE
RAD

Post by RAD »

Thanks for all the input! I can tell I’m really going to enjoy being in this forum!
Remumc

Post by Remumc »

Gunsil wrote:
Remumc wrote:The handle scales appear to be Abalone shell. I would call it a customized knife or somebodies home project rather than a counterfit. I don't think it was made to deceive anyone. Neat knife to own and carry.

Really?? Remington never made that pattern handle, and they never made a knife with that blade configuration. Nothing on that knife was made by Remington. It is not a customized Remington, it is a pure and simple fake. I would also bet the blades which were not made by Remington are also made of cheap steel and would likely not make a good carry knife.
Ok I have been spanked! Did not say it was a customized Remington. I still think it is an interesting knife and a good one to carry and use. Get out the Dremel and sand off the Remington stamp. Problem solved at least for this knife. I have had a couple of Remington mystery knives over the years. Luckily didn't pay much for them.

Return to “Remington Knife Collector's Forum”