Stupid question?

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
OSCAR

Stupid question?

Post by OSCAR »

I see some posts marked “picklock”. What is that refer to? What if any other types are there?
Thanks
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
kootenay joe

Re: Stupid question?

Post by kootenay joe »

I don't know either other than some Italian folding daggers have a 'picklock' system to keep the blade open. Ray knows about this. Hope he posts.
kj
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

"Picklock" is a term describing the method of closing a particular style knife-usually earlier Italian stilettos.
These knives usually have a pin on the back of the blade tang that locks into a hole in a tab on the backspring. This tab has to be "picked" up off of the pin to close the blade-hence the name "picklock."
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks for the answer. I was curious.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Bill. Very clear description, one i will not forget because now i understand how if works.
I would like to ask about the term "Italian stilettos". Bernard Levine has said that a true "stiletto" is a fixed blade knife. Did i misunderstand his statement ? Or is there disagreement over what a "stiletto" is ?
kj
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks Bill for the explanation. Very clear. ::nod:: ::tu::
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Kootenay Joe:
My understanding of the term stiletto is a long and narrow bladed knife, fixed or folding, often sharpened on both sides but can be on just one.
Oscar.....
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Oscar, yes that is how most knife people think of "stiletto". It is Bernard Levine who insists on the original meaning which is a fixed blade. I was asking Bill to find out if any other knife 'experts' agree with Bernard. Bill DeShivs is an equally authoritative knife person.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

My understanding of the term,"stiletto" originally meant a long thin bladed knife that could have one ,two,or even three edges that were sharpened and essentially designed to pierce chain mail or other types of body armor. Folding models were also made so that they could more easily be concealed on one's person.Some early Italian models also had graduations carved into the blades to be used to measure the elevation of gun barrels.
I would think a proper term for the ones in question could be "folding dirk" but I guess they thought the term stiletto sounded more sinister.And the term dirk is considered illegal to own in certain places. I remember reading an article on knife laws in regard to California's confusing statutes.Apparently if you were caught possessing an Italian style switchblade with a blade over two inches in length you were subject to prosecution of a misdemeanor. However if you were caught in possession of an identical knife that was NOT a switchblade but merely a lock back you could be prosecuted for a FELONY! This was because the two knives fell under two different laws. One law deals only with switchblades and gravity knives while the other is the so-called,"dirk and dagger law".I don't know if this insanity has been rectified but it should be.JMHO
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Knifenutt. Another reason I DONT live in California.
Bill DeShivs

Post by Bill DeShivs »

The Italians, who may have very well invented the first "real" stilettos, call their automatic knives of the common pattern, "stilettos." They are generall not designed to cut, only stab.
Bill DeShivs, Master Cutler

Factory authorized repair for:
Latama
Mauro Mario
LePre
Colonial
KABAR
Hubertus, Grafrath, Ritter
Schrade Cut. Co., Geo Schrade, Pressbutton, Flylock
Falcon/AKC/AGA Campolin
Puma
Burrell Cutlery
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Bill. As the folding knives with stabbing blades are called "stiletto" in the country where they are made, then that is the name.
kj

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”