Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Mail Call, Post Your New GECs.

Post by QTCut5 »

Although I liked the Stainless Steel Wharncliffe blade and the acorn shield, something about the #99 Wall Street just didn't call to me when it was first released...I prefer graceful curves & rounded bolsters and the #99 frame looked too square and blocky.

But, when I found this one with Burnt Orange Springfield bone covers that have a Winterbottom-like appearance, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Very glad I did, too. This Wall Street is a great knife. I was pleasantly surprised at how slim it is, not "blocky" at all. A very well-made knife.
P6200021.JPG
P6200022.JPG
~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

QTCut5 wrote:Although I liked the Stainless Steel Wharncliffe blade and the acorn shield, something about the #99 Wall Street just didn't call to me when it was first released...I prefer graceful curves & rounded bolsters and the #99 frame looked too square and blocky.

But, when I found this one with Burnt Orange bone covers that have a Winterbottom-like appearance, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger.

Very glad I did, too. This Wall Street is a great knife. I was pleasantly surprised at how slim it is, not "blocky" at all. A very well-made knife.

P6200021.JPGP6200022.JPG

~Q~
Have to agree with everything you said. I have the Elk, and it has become one of my favorites. Slim, and the perfect size for all my needs.
I was fortunate and received one that the lockup was solid in all directions. How is yours?
-Tim
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

FarSide wrote:I was fortunate and received one that the lockup was solid in all directions. How is yours?
Same...very tight, solid lock up...which, to be perfectly honest, was yet another pleasant surprise since my previous experience with GEC lockbacks was the several #72 Scouts I used to own...every one of which had some degree of blade play when open and locked. I guess I had just come to expect that of GEC lockbacks. Apparently GEC finally figured out how to produce a lockback that locks up as solid as a Case Copperlock.

~Q~

~Q~
L0wlife

Post by L0wlife »

#12 toothpick in sambar stag
Attachments
20190624_124852.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

#12 looks Very Nice ! Excellent stag showing on front side.
kj
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Two USA made Lambfoot folders from the launch of Waynorth Cutlery. Not everyone’s cup of tea but these are just exceptionally crafted folders by GEC. The overall fit and finish as well as hafting are exceptional. The pull is a bit stronger than a 15 pattern and the nail nick is perfectly positioned for ease of blade extraction. Some have reported being able to pinch them open however I can’t do it with either one. Overall, just an outstanding job by GEC ::tu::
Attachments
73E274E9-3EF4-4453-BDA8-108FBC81D62D.jpeg
Lloyd
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Duffer wrote:Two USA made Lambfoot folders from the launch of Waynorth Cutlery. Not everyone’s cup of tea but these are just exceptionally crafted folders by GEC. The overall fit and finish as well as hafting are exceptional. The pull is a bit stronger than a 15 pattern and the nail nick is perfectly positioned for ease of blade extraction. Some have reported being able to pinch them open however I can’t do it with either one. Overall, just an outstanding job by GEC ::tu::
Two beautiful looking works of craftsmanship. You must be chuffed-enjoy them mate. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Wow those are beauties. Nice score Duffer, and thanks for showing. Looks like we might have to lamb hunt this year.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Looks like we might have to lamb hunt this year"
You could open up the first ever "Lamb Pedicure" shop.
kj
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Thought I was cutting back, since retirement. So true.
Not buying.jpg
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Finally got some pics of this Swayback Lambsfoot from Gunstock Jacks and Charlie C. Very impressive. Swayback is a beloved pattern, but this excels in the group. The walk and talk is incredible, the pull not bad, the lock up impeccable. This is like a Northwoods. Maybe the coolest GEC I've seen outside of Northwoods. Of course they're pricing this one like a Northwoods, but C.C. did it right. Love the golden amber color in the bone that turns brown and then fades to black. The lambsfoot doesn't protrude like a sheepfoot when closed, much more compact. Love that. Love the rat tail bolsters, the steel liners, the old look. I was looking for a Wright and sons Swayback with a lambsfoot like George Mallory took up Everest because I didn't think anyone else was making them. Well GEC just blew me away with the one they made. And Charlie C. design is out of the park. Hats off.
Attachments
WP_20190628_124.jpg
WP_20190628_144.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

Very nice Ivoryman! I agree—I think GEC hit a new “high water mark” with this new Charlie C. SFO #93 pattern release and for all the reasons you mention.
Lloyd
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Everyone of Charlie C.'s SFO patterns come out as a 'notch up' from other knives of the same pattern being made at the same time. I think it is because Charlie's design is slightly different from the regular run knives, and he has an eye for perfect flow and balance.
kj
kamagong

Post by kamagong »

I don't buy many knives, so when I do I want it to be special. This one does not disappoint.
Attachments
Resized_20190711_094729.jpeg
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Congrats Kamagong, great score, great knife, great shot.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I have to congratulate GEC on this one. Immaculate half stop and great snap.
Attachments
IMG_5497 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Greg, I agree. It’s no wonder these are selling out in minutes.
Here are some pick ups for me, haven’t gotten many pictures taken until today. Got these two Mavericks from Mince22 over the weekend, and catching up on the 93’s. I realized after I took these pictures that one of the Mavericks came with the wrong tube.
I think I have a new favorite, it’s these Mavericks, man are these nice. Can’t believe they only made 25 of each of these. The pull is easy, snap is great, the fit and finish are immaculate. I think I like the Kingwood better than the bone, maybe it’s the bolsters, I do like the stripes on that one. I had never seen this pattern before, they should produce a lot more of these.
Attachments
IMG_0760.jpeg
IMG_0765.jpeg
IMG_0761.jpeg
IMG_0773.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

SharpShiney, you been busy boy. Wow, absolutely can't get enough looking at that Tidioute Maverick bone. Autumn anything bone, that's for me. And the Ram shield 93, and that Lambsfoot. Congrats, those were hard to come by and soaring in price. Get while can. Rocking batch of blades. Wow.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here are the latest additions. This Cripple Creek is gorgeous, much better in hand than the pictures convey. The 54 in SNAKEWOOD, beautiful. And my 3 new Northwoods.
I’m really getting hooked on wooden handles. Until I collected GEC knives, I really didn’t collect wooden handles, but they do wood right whether it’s Cocobolo, Snakewood, Kingwood or Ebony.
Attachments
IMG_0862.jpeg
IMG_0867.jpeg
IMG_0868.jpeg
IMG_0886.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Thunderwood

Post by Thunderwood »

35 Churchill in Clawed Cougar Bone.
Attachments
20190731_151724.jpg
biglmbass

Post by biglmbass »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote: I think I have a new favorite, it’s these Mavericks, man are these nice. Can’t believe they only made 25 of each of these. The pull is easy, snap is great, the fit and finish are immaculate. I think I like the Kingwood better than the bone, maybe it’s the bolsters, I do like the stripes on that one. I had never seen this pattern before, they should produce a lot more of these.
I tend to think the Mavericks are something of a sleeper in the GEC line. I didn't pay close attention to them when they were first released & readily available. Regardless, it's a neat pattern for sure.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Northfield #13 Whip Sambar Stag
P8010040.JPG
P8010037.JPG
P8010042.JPG
P8010035.JPG

~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I have always liked the slimness of that little knife Q and the stag doesn't hurt a bit. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

doglegg wrote:I have always liked the slimness of that little knife Q and the stag doesn't hurt a bit. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks, Floyd. I actually bought a couple of #13 Whips when the pattern was first released a couple of years ago. I really liked the design and the single Wharncliffe blade; but, the ones I got had very hard pulls and the slender frame just didn't give me enough to hold onto when I tried to open the blade, so I sold them. When this one came up for sale, though, I just couldn't resist since I wasn't planning to carry or use it anyway. As it turns out, however, this one has a much lighter pull. Now I have the dilemma of deciding whether or not to carry this one since I can actually open the blade without an opening tool. Tough call, but I expect it'll end up being a safe queen (like 99.9% of my collection). I always think I will use the knives I buy, but when I get them in hand I just can't seem to bring myself to "mar the perfection" if you know what I mean. ::undecided::

~Q~
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

QTCut5 wrote:
doglegg wrote:I have always liked the slimness of that little knife Q and the stag doesn't hurt a bit. ::nod:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Thanks, Floyd. I actually bought a couple of #13 Whips when the pattern was first released a couple of years ago. I really liked the design and the single Wharncliffe blade; but, the ones I got had very hard pulls and the slender frame just didn't give me enough to hold onto when I tried to open the blade, so I sold them. When this one came up for sale, though, I just couldn't resist since I wasn't planning to carry or use it anyway. As it turns out, however, this one has a much lighter pull. Now I have the dilemma of deciding whether or not to carry this one since I can actually open the blade without an opening tool. Tough call, but I expect it'll end up being a safe queen (like 99.9% of my collection). I always think I will use the knives I buy, but when I get them in hand I just can't seem to bring myself to "mar the perfection" if you know what I mean. ::undecided::
Indeed I do know what you mean. ::nod::

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”