Hen & Rooster Folding Hunter Custer's Last Stand

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
raincrowe

Hen & Rooster Folding Hunter Custer's Last Stand

Post by raincrowe »

A two bladed Hen & Rooster folding hunter 5 1/4 inches closed..... With the depiction of Custer's last stand... also pic of hen & rooster Solingen Germany on the large blade...on the backside of blade Bertram Cutlery 512 PS....the other blade marked.....Custer's Last Stand......June 22,1876..... 1 of 500......pic of hen & rooster Rostfrei... beautiful handles dare say bone with nice emblem...knife came in the box with nice carrying case!.... Would like to know more about this knife...year made and anything else available...
Attachments
SAM_0949.JPG
SAM_0952.JPG
SAM_0953.JPG
SAM_0955.JPG
SAM_0958.JPG
SAM_0959.JPG
SAM_0962.JPG
XX Case XX

Re: Hen & Rooster Folding Hunter Custer's Last Stand

Post by XX Case XX »

I did some searching on the internet and found a few other "Last Stand" knives but none of them had any information. Hope someone out there can help you.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Great looking knife. At first glance I wondered if the handles might be ivory. You have a better view than me though. Great knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The knife looks to be the same pattern as a Boker 2020
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

doglegg wrote:Great looking knife. At first glance I wondered if the handles might be ivory. You have a better view than me though. Great knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
With the International Ivory ban what is the chances to be real?
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

mrwatch wrote:
doglegg wrote:Great looking knife. At first glance I wondered if the handles might be ivory. You have a better view than me though. Great knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
With the International Ivory ban what is the chances to be real?
MrW, they are still around. Some for sale here on AAPK. I've bought 3 or 4 off ebay this year. But the noose does seem to be tightening. Also not saying that those are.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

1st off...they got the wrong date etched on the blade...
Custer battle was June 25th, 1876
Major Reno and his troops held tight on a bluff and fought June 26th, 1876
about 5 miles from the Greasy Grass battlefield where Custer died.
Seeing General Terry's troops coming from the south the next day, the Lakota & Cheyenne retreated....
A major mistake for H & R for sure !!!

Stag
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The original Bertram knife shop (smaller than 'factory', closed in 1980 and rights to the Hen & Rooster branding were sold. From then on tang marking became "Bertram Cutlery", in place of just "Bertram" or C. Bertram". The knives became regular factory produced knives. Some were initially made by Kissing Crane until they closed around 1985 ? and then Boker made some of the H&R's and now some might be made in China ? Hard to know for sure.
Your knife looks like a Boker, likely late 1980's or 1990's. Handles could be ivory and if so, those are fairly big pieces of ivory.
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Also frost is getting new H&R made in Spain and Germany. They are very nice knives to say the least. Proper fit and finish, nice blade grinds, super highly polished steel, some of the best stag you can find.
You have one super knice knife their rain!
Handles look to be either white bone or ivory.
You nailed it stag! Somebody didn't read there history correctly over there... ::disgust:: ::shrug::
Yes, i agree with Roland. Has a very boker-ry look to it.
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

What are the chances the blades on these knives were done by that well-known and respected male/female pair of engravers, whose names I can never remember? ::facepalm::

It is so abstract, it took me a moment or two to actually see soldiers.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

Shaw / Leibowitz!!!!!

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

RobesonsRme.com wrote:Shaw / Leibowitz!!!!!

Charlie
It doesn't look like anything Shaw-Leibowitz has done;their etches are more crisp and detailed.JMHO
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
RobesonsRme.com

Not all their knives were so crisp and detailed. They did venture out some with their artistic expression.

This is a Shaw-Leibowitz Gerber that sold on Ebay some time back for $310.00.

And a Rigid.

And a Bob Dozier Bowie.

Charlie
Attachments
Vintage-US-GERBER-Limited-SHAW-LEIBOWITZ-Engraved-Hunting.jpg
Vintage-US-GERBER-Limited-SHAW-LEIBOWITZ-Engraved-Hunting.jpg (25.25 KiB) Viewed 2449 times
Shaw Leibowitz Rigid.jpg
Shaw Leibowitz Bob Dozier.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
raincrowe

Post by raincrowe »

Well after doing a little research and taking in all that was said....Without a doubt it is on a 2020 Boker frame...See pictured with a U.S.A. Boker and a German Boker knife... I believe the handles to be white bone... the chances of it being ivory would be like winning the mega lottery....The date on the blade is wrong the battle took place on June 25-26 1876 instead of June 22,1876.... being 1 of 500 I did find where one has sold on ebay…. Worth Point Rare Hen & Rooster "Custer's Last Stand" Knife and Sheath....although that one had a number on the bolster and this knife doesn't...This knife seems to be odd in more ways than one....Could this be an experimental knife?....I would like to thank one and all for the information and dialect and look forward to hearing more ::tu::
Attachments
SAM_0987.JPG
SAM_0982.JPG
SAM_0985.JPG
SAM_0981.JPG

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”