Shout Out to Lowe's

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Steve Warden

Shout Out to Lowe's

Post by Steve Warden »

Not only do they offer a military discount, I noticed this in a couple parking spots a few months ago, right up close to the main entrance.
Thank you, Lowe's, for recognizing those who serve and have served! ::marine_salute::
20190709_171638.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Doc B

Re: Shout Out to Lowe's

Post by Doc B »

::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Mine has had it some time as well. I feel this was an extraordinary gesture on their part to repurpose some of those "online pickup" spots no one used to veteran parking. And area veterans use these every day. Walmart could do the same (seeing as my Walmart chose the best parking spots in the gigantic lot to use for online pickup, but I'm sure if the idea was even floated to them, they'd make some kind of lame excuse not to; probably centering around someone finding it offensive. And Target sure as heck wouldn't.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Nice but IMO just a marketing scheme , I only shop their as a last resort . Home Depot down the street and you can’t find a parking spot , Lowe’s is about a mile away and the parking lot is always empty ::shrug::
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

ScoutKnives wrote:Nice but IMO just a marketing scheme , I only shop their as a last resort . Home Depot down the street and you can’t find a parking spot , Lowe’s is about a mile away and the parking lot is always empty ::shrug::
I went to our nearest HD (about an hour and a half away), and the difference is night and day. At Lowe's, there's only like two employees that know anything, and it's because both of them worked at area hardware stores beforehand (one had a big management problem that caused a lot of people to quit). Home Depot is much better. Everyone knows what they're selling; and they carry a lot of American and European made tools. Lowe's--not much. A few Estwing, a few Vaughan (and not all of those are American), a few Channellock and that's it.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Texas Roadhouse has vet parking too. ::handshake::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

As both Lowe's and Home Depot offer military discount, I don't see it as a marketing scheme. Reserved parking for vets certainly isn't something they HAD to do. We have one of each store within a mile of each other. They seem equally busy. Don't know why, but I prefer Lowe's. If they don't have what I need, I go to Home Depot. Doesn't really matter to me, reserved parking or not.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::td:: Menards doesn't offer a Vet parking spot or a Vet discount. The 11% discount is just a marketing scheme to rip you off
You have to spend the discount you recieve at their store. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

I'm sure they'll be sued for some sort of favoritism or discrimination.
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Living in a state with a lot of Lowe's stores (44 in my area of the state) and a lot of military bases/posts (Fort Bragg, Camp Lejeune, New River Air Station, Cherry Point Air Station, Seymour Johnson AFB, etc.) I can assure you that Lowe's is the real deal when it comes to supporting the military and their families. They do a lot of support (putting their money where their mouth is) that gets no public recognition - a few years ago the local Lowe's (near Charlotte) chartered a jet to get a local ARNG unit home in time for Thanksgiving or Christmas (forgot which holiday). That is the kind of support I am aware of from 32 years in the NC ARNG and 36 years of selling building materials to Lowe's. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ScoutKnives wrote:Nice but IMO just a marketing scheme , I only shop their as a last resort . Home Depot down the street and you can’t find a parking spot , Lowe’s is about a mile away and the parking lot is always empty ::shrug::
Here it’s just the opposite. The Lowe’s stores are clean and well organized. There’s plenty of help, with retired plumbers and electricians staffing those aisles respectively. If I go to HD I usually have to hunt for someone to help me if I have a question. The aisles are crowded and there is often inventory stacked on the floor to the extent that sometimes you can’t get a cart down the aisle. The stores just look dirty when compared to Lowes. ::shrug::

Having said all that, my first choice is usually the locally owned lumber, hardware, plumbing and electrical stores which have hands-down the best help, and better quality merchandise. ::tu:: Buy local!!!!!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Where I live it's more how Ken describes it. Home Depot is further though it's right next to the freeway it is between two off ramps and two freeways and has very poor access. One two lane road in and out, and pretty congested. The store looks messy, not well-organized and merchandise stacked the aisles. Last time I asked them they said they didn't didn't have a veteran discount.
The only thing they have that Lowe's doesn't is equipment rental.

Is the wearing Marine Corps baseball cap and even if I forget to ask for it the people at Lowe's ask if I am a veteran. They act like they genuinely want the veteran community's business. Lowe's is usually where we go for appliances, primarily because they have decent prices to begin with and with the discounts we save quite a bit when we replace appliances.
Most of the help at Lowe's is knowledgeable and if they aren't they will get someone who is.

The store that has the best veterans discount that I have encountered is the Benchmade store, at the Benchmade factory. They give veterans a 30% discount, if you can document your veteran status. My VA card was proof enough for them. You can even get the veterans discount their online store! ::tu:: ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

a chain store company here has a "expectant mother" parking space. My nearest H.D. is 30 miles away. But most employees know their stuff. I read on another board that Home Depot prices very by the income levels of where they build. store 20 miles away my be lower on some items, and I do not know that is a fact. Bean counters in the U. P. are unhappy when like a Lowe's store closes and sit's empty. Pay way less in propert taxes claiming their buildings are built as single use only and can't sell them.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

We have both Home Depot & Lowe's. Both give a 10% veteran discount. (Just about covers Ca. sales tax) :x
Home Depot is a bit closer. If I am purchasing any wood products, I find that Lowe's wood is of better quality and stock, however it is a bit more expensive at Lowe's. Also Lowe's has a "In-N-Out Burger" restaurant within walking distance. ::ds::
Our Granddaughter works at Home Depot.
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

One thing I also appreciate about Lowe's is the way they treat their employees who are in the National Guard and Reserves. At one time they still paid their employees who went on active duty. I don't remember if it was full salary or partial but even a partial salary is almost unheard of support from an employer!
My youngest daughter is in the National Guard and worked at Lowe's for a year or so. They were very good at letting her take time off for drill and other Guard related activity. They also gave her a nice discount.
Having managed businesses before I know employers are not allowed to discriminate against employees who serve in the Guard and Reserves, but I also know that many of them discriminate regardless. My daughter only had the best of things to say about Lowe's as related to the treatment of her and her National Guard time.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

::tu::
Well lowes just went waaaaaaay up in my book! Pretty much same prices as home depot in Regina, SK. And both big as heck! You go in there, you might not be coming out for a looooooog time! ::paranoid:: :shock:
:D :lol:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

This thing started out about Veteran parking spaces at Lowe's and that's great. I love shopping at Lowe's, bought my John Deere zero-turn mower there. I have their Lowe's Military Account and I'm happy knowing I'm going to get a discount everytime I go there, Veteran parking or not. Look I'm a 26 year retired Navy Veteran and I'm very, very grateful for all the discounts, parking, state benifits and yes even the free coffee in some places, but I don't believed any of it is owed to me. My hero is law enforcement officers. Lets show them our gratitude for putting their jobs and their lives on the line ever day, for having to deal with the death in our cities, the dregs of our society that the rest of us turn our backs on because we don't want to see them, the one that swore to uphold the law and the Constitution. Their the one's still fighting the battle everyday right here in our cities, towns, and streets. Let's give them a parking space when they're off duty just being everyday citizens, lets offer them when you see them on duty a handshake, a thank you, and a simple cup of coffee.

I apologize for getting up on my soapbox and preaching, it was just something I felt strongly about.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Well stated David .... ::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

I think its six of one half a dozen of another around here as far as service goes, the attitudes really change during the downturn of '08,'09 workers are a lot more helpful now at both. I've had nephews work at both and they like the workplace. One that work at HD now works for Lowe's ::tu:: ::handshake::
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

All I was trying to do was say THANK YOU to Lowe's for doing something they didn't have to do.

I did not intend for this to become LOWE'S vs HOME DEPOT battle.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Steve Warden wrote:All I was trying to do was say THANK YOU to Lowe's for doing something they didn't have to do.

I did not intend for this to become LOWE'S vs HOME DEPOT battle.
You're right Steve and I apologize for my ranting in my post.
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

dlr110 wrote:This thing started out about Veteran parking spaces at Lowe's and that's great. I love shopping at Lowe's, bought my John Deere zero-turn mower there. I have their Lowe's Military Account and I'm happy knowing I'm going to get a discount everytime I go there, Veteran parking or not. Look I'm a 26 year retired Navy Veteran and I'm very, very grateful for all the discounts, parking, state benifits and yes even the free coffee in some places, but I don't believed any of it is owed to me. My hero is law enforcement officers. Lets show them our gratitude for putting their jobs and their lives on the line ever day, for having to deal with the death in our cities, the dregs of our society that the rest of us turn our backs on because we don't want to see them, the one that swore to uphold the law and the Constitution. Their the one's still fighting the battle everyday right here in our cities, towns, and streets. Let's give them a parking space when they're off duty just being everyday citizens, lets offer them when you see them on duty a handshake, a thank you, and a simple cup of coffee.

I apologize for getting up on my soapbox and preaching, it was just something I felt strongly about.
::tu:: ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

Again from the Lowe's parking lot.
20190713_093637.jpg
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”