professional folder scale replacement

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
klinerm

professional folder scale replacement

Post by klinerm »

I've recently gotten interested in folders and am in with love mammoth bark. I've gotten a few nice scales off of ebay, and I'm wondering if anyone could recommend an artisan who is comfortable replacing original scales with mammoth.

Thanks for any help.

Richard
kootenay joe

Re: professional folder scale replacement

Post by kootenay joe »

There are numerous skilled knife 'mechanics' here with years of experience.
"Muskrat Man" has replaced original handles with ivory for me and the result is perfect. If you look in the 'Knife Repair/Service' forums here you will see posts by MM and then you can click on his name to contact him.
There are others who also do excellent work but i have not had any direct experience with these gent's so hopefully others who have, will post their references here as well.
kj
richard

Post by richard »

as i have said before. have a go yourself. there is nothing like the feeling of, DIY. start with with complete wrecks.make them useable again.
in a short time.you will become.ready for better projects. just saying in my humble .findings.
god bless. RWM
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I wouldn't practice on bark ivory.
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Not everyone is handy with tools or has the experience to handle tools well enough to get good results. Sure try it out on knives you are not attached to. But with a knife you care about, send it to someone who already has skill and experience.
kj
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Yup, same thing i feel Roland. I got a few Imperials that i either will do myself or send to muskrat man. He is very reasonable with his work so i don't think it pays to do it your self anyway. JMTB
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”