Ka-bar question

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
OSCAR

Ka-bar question

Post by OSCAR »

When did Kabar stop making traditional slip joint pocket knives in USA?
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Ka-bar question

Post by knifeaholic »

Good question with a couple of potential answers.

Kabar definitely manufactured traditional pocket and hunting knives in their Olean, New York factory into the early to mid 1960's.

At some point after that, Kabar ceased being a manufacturer and contracted their standard product pocket knives to Camillus.

When that point was, I am not certain. I have heard 1967 and I have also heard 1976 as the years that Kabar closed their Olean NY factory.

Anyway, they continued to widely sell the contracted Camillus-made knives until a few years after Alcas bought the Kabar name from Cole National. I believe that was about 1998-99, possibly a few years after that.

During the late 70's to 90's, Kabar also contracted with Queen and to a lesser extent Case, to make their special or limited edition knives for the Kabar Collector's club.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thanks Steve.
I just ordered the Kabar bicentennial trapper (from you I think). Was wondering who made it. The tang is stamped Olean NY. Does that mean Kabar manufactured it?
So many knives are produced under contract by other companies that it’s hard to know who made what. I’m sure I’ll love the knife when it arrives. Either Camillus or Queen made an excellent product. But I’ll be looking for a pre 60’s Kabar if Kabar didn’t make it.
Thanks again! Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

OSCAR wrote:Thanks Steve.
I just ordered the Kabar bicentennial trapper (from you I think). Was wondering who made it. The tang is stamped Olean NY. Does that mean Kabar manufactured it?
So many knives are produced under contract by other companies that it’s hard to know who made what. I’m sure I’ll love the knife when it arrives. Either Camillus or Queen made an excellent product. But I’ll be looking for a pre 60’s Kabar if Kabar didn’t make it.
Thanks again! Oscar
If it is the bicentennial trapper I'm thinking of it was issued in 1976.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I also would like to know exact dates of the closing of the Olean factory and who made their folding knives from 1966 on other than the KCC knives. There have been a lot of Kabar (italicized) stamps on ebay lately that came out of the Schrade factory in Ellenville so one must figure Shcrade was making some for Cole or Alcas owned KA-BAR also.
By the way, the bici trapper was a KCC release in 1976, I think it was made by Queen. All KABAR knives suffered lower quality with the wartime civilian knives and that stayed on for the duration. None of the post war KA-BARs are near in quality to the pre-war knives.
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I just received the bicentennial. Beautiful knife and the quality is there. It’s a fair assumption it was released in 1976.
The tang is stamped Olean NY. It came with certificate that it is limited and made in Olean NY 1976.
Guess they closed that factory later than the 60’s.
B1D13437-DFB4-45AD-813F-D77A3C42B6F3.jpeg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”