mini santoku

Ask questions and share your knowlege about custom knives. Make sure to show off your stuff if you are a knife maker or collector.
hellize

mini santoku

Post by hellize »

Hello boys and girls!

I have a freshly forged mini santoku to show today.

Her full length is 27.5 cm / 10.7 inch. The blade is 16 cm / 6.3 inch long, 4.8 cm / 1.9 inch wide and 5 mm / 0.19 inch thick
The handle is made of naturally vibrant red and waterproof padouk, with textured bronze bolster.
I forged the blade of 5160 and motorcycle chain. It is a san mai.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
csizmar szilard
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: mini santoku

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

hellize wrote:Hello boys and girls!

Her full length is 27.5 cm / 10.7 inch. The blade is 16 cm / 6.3 inch long, 4.8 cm / 1.9 inch wide and 5 mm / 0.19 inch thick
The handle is made of naturally vibrant red and waterproof padouk, with textured bronze bolster.

That blade is stunning! Nice.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
hellize

Post by hellize »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
hellize wrote:Hello boys and girls!

That blade is stunning! Nice.
Thanks! :)
csizmar szilard
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Gorgeous knife! Someone will be lucky, to take that home!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
hellize

Post by hellize »

Doc B wrote:Gorgeous knife! Someone will be lucky, to take that home!!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
thank you very much for the appreciation :)
csizmar szilard
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Hellize, your knife is very refined; I call it elegant. Perhaps to be used in the preparation of a special dish. ::tu:: ::tu::
hellize

Post by hellize »

Quick Steel wrote:Hellize, your knife is very refined; I call it elegant. Perhaps to be used in the preparation of a special dish. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thanks! Glad you like them :D
csizmar szilard
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There is a slight curve to the edge. Did you create this to be the best possible vegetable slicer ? i.e. point on cutting board, raise handle, place carrot under blade and bring edge down to cut a round of carrot, then repeat, fast, moving carrot under blade. You know what i'm trying to describe i'm sure.
I have a few forged Santukos and i find them to be The Best all around kitchen knife for everything that a parer cannot do. When preparing veges for canning/freezing the Santuko can slice very well especially when degree of edge curve is 'just right', which is only a very slight curve.
Have you made other Santukos and if so did you ever 'fine tune' this part of the design ?
That you Master Knife Maker Hellize.
your fan from Canada, kj

P.S. this is not really a "mini". I would call it a small Santuko but at 10 1/2" it is a reasonably common size for this pattern.
hellize

Post by hellize »

kootenay joe wrote:There is a slight curve to the edge. Did you create this to be the best possible vegetable slicer ? i.e. point on cutting board, raise handle, place carrot under blade and bring edge down to cut a round of carrot, then repeat, fast, moving carrot under blade. You know what i'm trying to describe i'm sure.
I have a few forged Santukos and i find them to be The Best all around kitchen knife for everything that a parer cannot do. When preparing veges for canning/freezing the Santuko can slice very well especially when degree of edge curve is 'just right', which is only a very slight curve.
Have you made other Santukos and if so did you ever 'fine tune' this part of the design ?
That you Master Knife Maker Hellize.
your fan from Canada, kj

P.S. this is not really a "mini". I would call it a small Santuko but at 10 1/2" it is a reasonably common size for this pattern.
Glad you like it! :)
Yes, I have made like it is on purpose! I have an old self made kitchen knife which I use daily, with that I have made the mistake to form an almost straight edge. Don't get me wrong, it is fabulous for slicing bread, cheese and ham, but it isn't the best on a cutting board.
So all in all, you are right my friend. For kitchen tasks a slight curve is an absolute must, thus a santoku is ideal :D unfortunately I don't really make any, no one wants them around here :(
csizmar szilard

Return to “Custom Knives”