Baby’s First Knife!

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
zoogirl

Baby’s First Knife!

Post by zoogirl »

So, I’ve been thinking. Like most of us, I’m a parent and now grandparent. The kids are 11,6 and 4.
By my granddaughter’s age I was already borrowing my dad’s knife as often as I could and by my older grandsons age, I was getting my own for Christmas.
I know of one member who has collecting granddaughters, three and six, and another little four year old girl is on a current thread, whittlin’. ::tu::
I’ve been thinking about starting the kid off with their first proper knives. They all like going fishing and the little guy just went on his first camping trip.
What do you guys recommend? I think a single bladed spear, Spey or sheepsfoot would be the safest. Something like this -
7039574D-6BFB-4C66-82F0-F499B5790010.jpeg
What age do you think is appropriate? What type of knife?
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Doc B

Re: Baby’s First Knife!

Post by Doc B »

That looks like a pretty good choice, to me! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I think you are on the right track. A single blade Barlow should be ideal for smaller hands.
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

I've heard a locking blade is best to start with. The added safety of not having the blade inadvertently slamming shut on their fingers.
Also something inexpensive if/when they lose it.

That said, my first knife was a stockman given to me by my Grampy when I was about 9. I still have it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

As for age, I don't think you can or should put a number on it.
Each kid matures differently.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Steve Warden wrote:As for age, I don't think you can or should put a number on it.
Each kid matures differently.
I agree.

I’m not sure about lock backs. Some can be hard for a grown up to manipulate, little, weaker hands and a sharp blade and a lock back could be a problem.

I’ve known many people who give a kid a knife and first they “dull” it so it will be safer. To me this is a very bad thing to do. A dull knife is a dangerous knife and WHEN they cut themselves, dull knives make nasty cuts. I always made sure my boys knives were sharp.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I think beefy handle, short blade, any kind, sharp. I had already cut myself a few times by age 8 or 9, I am sure. No biggie.
kid whittling.jpg
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Colonel26 wrote:
I’ve known many people who give a kid a knife and first they “dull” it so it will be safer. To me this is a very bad thing to do. A dull knife is a dangerous knife and WHEN they cut themselves, dull knives make nasty cuts. I always made sure my boys knives were sharp.
Yes, and also, a dull knife is a frustrating knife. If the kid can’t cut what they want, sure as heck, he’ll start to hack at it. That’s when you get blades folding back and blades slipping off the item it’s not cutting.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

This is me at five with my first belt knife which I had received for my fifth birthday the previous summer. My mom had made the matching snow suits for my sister and myself. I got my first folding knife the next year, a barlow and not a great brand. I think I was given the belt knife first because I couldn't shut the blade on my fingers. I probably lost over 20 pocket knives before I was twenty years old, some were fine knives, some cheapos. One rule for sure is never give a little kid something you don't want him to lose or break.
Scan 111770090.jpg
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I believe today in many parts of the country your parents would have been in serious trouble for allowing you to have a belt knife at age 5. Today's culture does not have a lot to recommend it. ::tu:: More importantly, you and your sister were wrapped up in the love your mom put into those snowsuits.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:I think beefy handle, short blade, any kind, sharp. I had already cut myself a few times by age 8 or 9, I am sure. No biggie.kid whittling.jpg
Neat photo Cal.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I got my kids fixed blade mora knives with hard plastic sheaths. Kids like to stab at things and blade closure is an issue.

My kids have “companions”. 4.1 inch blade. Comes in 7bright colors.

The Eldris has a 2.2 inch blade. Also available in 7colors.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Ann, I was thinking about the Opinel knives for a youngster. The blades are not under spring tension, no chance of the "walk and talk" biting the child. They make some with a more rounded blade points just for kids and the knives can be had in some interesting colors. Plus they are not expensive even compared to most used folders. The biggest problem I've had with an Opinel knife was letting it go through the washing machine. The wooden handle will swell up and it takes a bit to dry one out where it opens and closes with ease. Several years ago, I bought a couple for my grandsons to use as fishing knives, got the stainless steel bladed ones since they probably would keep them in their tackle boxes. I don't remember what size. Google Opinel and see what you think.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Victorinox has a my first, with a rounded tip so it’s not pointy, that was my daughters first knife
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I kind of like the Opinal idea and I know where there are a bunch of smaller used ones at about five bucks each. I could actually paint the handles myself, now that I think about it.
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

I think your thoughts on the matter are right on, Ann. I have had a knife in my pocket since I was 6 years old. At recess, starting in Grade One, we would pull out our pocket knives and play stretch and chicken. I went through many single blade Richards and cheap wood handled German made pocket knives in my youth, all mostly spear blades.
Dan
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I never thought I’d the Opinel. That’s a fantastic choice for a first knife.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Victorinox has made a single blade knife, thin sharp blade but perfectly round at the tip. Little kids tend like to hold a knife and wave it around in the air. Poking themselves or someone else or the cat with a pointy tip is a risk. The round end on this SAK blade is safe. Plus it spreads PB very well and is sharp enough to slice paper.
I had a few. If i can find one i will post a picture.
Calvin is that a picture of you with the chaps ?
kj
eveled

Post by eveled »

Easy enough to round off the tip on whatever knife you choose.

I still have my first knife it is a 4 blade SAK from the 50’s I believe. My dad broke of the tips of both blades before he gave it to me.

In fact I still have a scout knife his uncle gave him again with broken off tips. That one is a real shame. Beautiful bone handles the spear point is turned into a coping blade. I think it is a Dwight Devine. Don’t quote me. I’ll dig it out and check my memory later.

A SAK is a great choice for a first knife too. The original MacGiver was inspired by my childhood. I thought I could fix anything with that knife.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I could not find the single blade knife with rounded tip, but i did find this 3 blade example: rather nice too, very useful too with the saw blade.
kj
Attachments
IMGP6822.JPG
IMGP6823.JPG
New_Windsor_NY
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: I'm On The Far Right On The Left Coast In Commiefornia

Post by New_Windsor_NY »

None of these kids are mine! I would rather have Baby's First Handgun, but this is a knife site. :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 772 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Kid: "Wish we had time to bury them fellas."
Josey Wales: "To hell with them fellas. Buzzards got to eat, same as worms."
Clint Eastwood-The Outlaw Josey Wales

Skip
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This kid is 'mine'. Taken 10 years ago with Tom Krein "Bulldog" knife and hat.
Note, as a careful father i made sure she had her snow boots on in case she dropped the knife. Taking her to hospital with her toes in a bag would have caused too many problems. :shock:
kj
Attachments
arapaho 003.jpg
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Great post Ann.
Our first born was in June 1976, she will be 43 in a few days ::ds::
I remember asking Mom to wait until July 4th to make her a official Bicentennial Baby. She would have nothing to do with that.
However, many Bicentennial gifts were purchased and received, to include many Hallmark First Edition ornaments, American Bicentennial Coins, etc.
Unfortunately, I was just a few short years of becoming a pocket knife collector. ::teary_eyes::

Of the below, I ask myself: : "What would I currently prefer?"
s-l1600.jpg
ca91005130.jpg
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan

Return to “General Knife Discussion”