Baby’s First Knife!

Discuss or show off anything that relates to knives.
zoogirl

Baby’s First Knife!

Postby zoogirl » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:24 pm

So, I’ve been thinking. Like most of us, I’m a parent and now grandparent. The kids are 11,6 and 4.
By my granddaughter’s age I was already borrowing my dad’s knife as often as I could and by my older grandsons age, I was getting my own for Christmas.
I know of one member who has collecting granddaughters, three and six, and another little four year old girl is on a current thread, whittlin’. ::tu::
I’ve been thinking about starting the kid off with their first proper knives. They all like going fishing and the little guy just went on his first camping trip.
What do you guys recommend? I think a single bladed spear, Spey or sheepsfoot would be the safest. Something like this -
7039574D-6BFB-4C66-82F0-F499B5790010.jpeg

What age do you think is appropriate? What type of knife?
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”

Doc B
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Baby’s First Knife!

Postby Doc B » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:38 pm

That looks like a pretty good choice, to me! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:40 pm

I think you are on the right track. A single blade Barlow should be ideal for smaller hands.
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

Steve Warden

Postby Steve Warden » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:41 pm

I've heard a locking blade is best to start with. The added safety of not having the blade inadvertently slamming shut on their fingers.
Also something inexpensive if/when they lose it.

That said, my first knife was a stockman given to me by my Grampy when I was about 9. I still have it.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Steve Warden

Postby Steve Warden » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:43 pm

As for age, I don't think you can or should put a number on it.
Each kid matures differently.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)

Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby Colonel26 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:13 pm

Steve Warden wrote:As for age, I don't think you can or should put a number on it.
Each kid matures differently.

I agree.

I’m not sure about lock backs. Some can be hard for a grown up to manipulate, little, weaker hands and a sharp blade and a lock back could be a problem.

I’ve known many people who give a kid a knife and first they “dull” it so it will be safer. To me this is a very bad thing to do. A dull knife is a dangerous knife and WHEN they cut themselves, dull knives make nasty cuts. I always made sure my boys knives were sharp.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee

tongueriver
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby tongueriver » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:08 pm

I think beefy handle, short blade, any kind, sharp. I had already cut myself a few times by age 8 or 9, I am sure. No biggie.
kid whittling.jpg

zoogirl

Postby zoogirl » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:38 pm

Colonel26 wrote:
I’ve known many people who give a kid a knife and first they “dull” it so it will be safer. To me this is a very bad thing to do. A dull knife is a dangerous knife and WHEN they cut themselves, dull knives make nasty cuts. I always made sure my boys knives were sharp.

Yes, and also, a dull knife is a frustrating knife. If the kid can’t cut what they want, sure as heck, he’ll start to hack at it. That’s when you get blades folding back and blades slipping off the item it’s not cutting.

Gunsil

Postby Gunsil » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:42 pm

This is me at five with my first belt knife which I had received for my fifth birthday the previous summer. My mom had made the matching snow suits for my sister and myself. I got my first folding knife the next year, a barlow and not a great brand. I think I was given the belt knife first because I couldn't shut the blade on my fingers. I probably lost over 20 pocket knives before I was twenty years old, some were fine knives, some cheapos. One rule for sure is never give a little kid something you don't want him to lose or break.

Scan 111770090.jpg

Quick Steel
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Postby Quick Steel » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 pm

I believe today in many parts of the country your parents would have been in serious trouble for allowing you to have a belt knife at age 5. Today's culture does not have a lot to recommend it. ::tu:: More importantly, you and your sister were wrapped up in the love your mom put into those snowsuits.
"Life is good if you don't weaken." AG Russell

KnifeSlinger#81

Postby KnifeSlinger#81 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:51 pm

tongueriver wrote:I think beefy handle, short blade, any kind, sharp. I had already cut myself a few times by age 8 or 9, I am sure. No biggie.kid whittling.jpg

Neat photo Cal.
-Paul T.

Always looking for excellent to mint condition schrade cut co and walden knives. I really like stockman and cattle patterns.

eveled
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Postby eveled » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:44 pm

I got my kids fixed blade mora knives with hard plastic sheaths. Kids like to stab at things and blade closure is an issue.

My kids have “companions”. 4.1 inch blade. Comes in 7bright colors.

The Eldris has a 2.2 inch blade. Also available in 7colors.

treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby treefarmer » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:50 am

Ann, I was thinking about the Opinel knives for a youngster. The blades are not under spring tension, no chance of the "walk and talk" biting the child. They make some with a more rounded blade points just for kids and the knives can be had in some interesting colors. Plus they are not expensive even compared to most used folders. The biggest problem I've had with an Opinel knife was letting it go through the washing machine. The wooden handle will swell up and it takes a bit to dry one out where it opens and closes with ease. Several years ago, I bought a couple for my grandsons to use as fishing knives, got the stainless steel bladed ones since they probably would keep them in their tackle boxes. I don't remember what size. Google Opinel and see what you think.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.

Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Postby Jody744 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:33 am

Victorinox has a my first, with a rounded tip so it’s not pointy, that was my daughters first knife
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)

zoogirl

Postby zoogirl » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:21 am

I kind of like the Opinal idea and I know where there are a bunch of smaller used ones at about five bucks each. I could actually paint the handles myself, now that I think about it.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”