New York gravity knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
mrwatch

New York gravity knives

Post by mrwatch »

I read on-line yesterday that New York has struck down the gravity knives law.
Gunsil

Re: New York gravity knives

Post by Gunsil »

As I read it it has not been struck down by the state. It has merely been deemed unconstitutional by a judge. This merely means the judge's ruling can be appealed or the law can be changed, which it likely will. The governor is a knife and gun hater and I don't think there will ever be a legal gravity knife here while he is.
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Doug Ritter and Knife Rights have been bringing the suit for a few years now and he/it has been pursuing getting the law changed for even longer.

The NY legislature got a law change passed last year and the year before that, but the Governor vetoed it both times, even though both years, the law changes passed with overwhelming votes in both houses.

The law change has been passed again this year unanimously in both houses (Assembly Bill A5944 and Senate Bill S4863) which removes "gravity knife" from all NY criminal statutes, but leave the definition in place.

The bill has not yet been transmitted to the Governor for signature/veto, but once it is sent to him, he has 10 days to do something.

Doug (via Knife Rights posts on BF and FB) has aid he will let folks know when to contact the G's office urging him to sign the bill.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Unfortunately, he will veto it again. He’s the poster boy for the liberal mantra “I don’t care how wrong it is, I’ve got good intentions.” Which then leads to “I don’t care that it didn’t work, I had good intentions.”

And we all know what they say about where “good intentions” lead. The highway to h*ll is paved with them! ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I’m pleased to report that I was wrong! After having vetoed essentially the same bill twice previously, much to my surprise the New York State governor signed the “gravity knife” legislation into law. Great news for all New York knife collectors and owners.

Third time is the charm. Not sure whether New York has a pre-emption law like the one in a Texas and other states, preventing local jurisdictions (cities, towns, counties, etc) from passing laws contradicting state law. I hope so, else the new state law may not help those in places like New York City.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “General Knife Discussion”