Farmer amputates leg with pocket knife.

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Doc B

Farmer amputates leg with pocket knife.

Post by Doc B »

Wow...hope I never have to use my knife, for anything like this :shock:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/us/farme ... index.html
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Farmer amputates leg with pocket knife.

Post by Railsplitter »

Incredible. That must have hurt like crazy.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

That's one tough hombre!
markpreston

Post by markpreston »

He said he never lost consciences and had to crawl 150 feet to his cell phone. It got caught in a grain auger according to the news report I saw. Anybody know what knife he had? I'm keeping my cellphone on me at all times doing stuff like this from now on.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The photos suggest a below the knee amputation, but they never show how far below.

Unless the auger screw took care of the tibia and fibula and all he had to cut was mangled flesh or unless he had a Swiss Army type knife with a saw blade, I'm a little skeptical.

He also had the poplitial and/or tibial and lesser arteries to deal with. They would have initially retracted in response to the trauma, but not for long. I'd be interested to know how much blood loss occurred.

This response is an indication of why Sarah will not watch medical dramas with me in the room. ::facepalm::

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Being an amputee (LF foot) I can not imagine doing that myself.. And the pain he must have went thru would be unreal.. That's one tough farmer.. Hope all is well for him in the end!!
John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I read the article and my reaction is similar to Charlie's (before i read his post). I have been at a few amputations and going through the bone with a good bone saw and a young strong orthopedic surgeon is work. And you have a lot of tissue to cut through to get down to bone.
A more accurate version would be something like: the auger chewed off most of his foot and ankle and he cut through what ever tissue was still attached at both ends.
That article was written by a reporter. He/she might never have seen a grain auger or an amputation in progress, so he wrote it up as best as he could.
That's how i see it.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This man was just interviewd by a CBC radio journalist. His foot got caught in the grain auger and it severed his foot which he could see going around with the auger blade. The auger had a hold of his pant leg and some of the 'tissue' that had been attached to his foot. He worried that if he 'relaxed' the auger would draw in more of his lower leg or his entire leg. He used his pocket knife to cut through his pant leg and some 'tissues', including a nerve he thinks because of a sudden pain.
He was very matter of fact, straight forward and calm. No B.S. about this guy. Unfortunately he was not asked about his "pocket knife".
kj

Edit to say: if it's possible to guess from hearing him speak, he sounds like an old time Case guy to me. ::woot::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”