ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

Post by dlr110 »

I’m coming to all of you fine folks at AAPK and asking you if you have knowledge of any antique stores, flea markets, or other type locations that you would recommend. On May 7th my wife and I will be on the road again looking for great places to find the antiques and collectables that we look for and of course mine are always KNIVES.

We will be driving from the Dallas/Fort Worth Texas area up through Eastern Oklahoma, into Western Arkansas, then Branson, MO. area and then up to St. Louis. Also, any place that meets certain criteria I do a review on my website and I also take pictures and post them on their Google Map description and reviews. It’s a lot of fun and lets people know where they might find the things they collect. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Thank you in advance for any advice you have, and prayers for safe travels.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: ON THE ROAD AGAIN!

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Haven’t been there recently but McAlester (old downtown area) and Chouteau, Oklahoma have some pretty good antique stores and flea markets, and there are a couple in Jenks also. Muskogee used to have a couple of good places but last time I was there those were out of business. They may have just re-located. ::shrug:: I’ve found a few old pocket knives in those towns in the past, but as you know it’s hit and miss. Jenks, OK also used to be a hotbed but last time we were through there, there were only two or three places left, but a couple of them were pretty good.

Chouteau has a couple of good places to eat also. There’s a large Amish community there and they run a couple of restaurants and bakeries in the town, which is not very big. The Dutch Pantry is an all-you-can-eat home cooking style buffet which is good, but the pies they sell there (you can buy a whole pie for about $10) are excellent.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Shepherd Hills Cutlery in Lebanon, MO is worth the stop for any knifer.
They have more than just Case ....
::tu::
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Haven’t been there recently but McAlester (old downtown area) and Chouteau, Oklahoma have some pretty good antique stores and flea markets, and there are a couple in Jenks also. Muskogee used to have a couple of good places but last time I was there those were out of business. They may have just re-located. ::shrug:: I’ve found a few old pocket knives in those towns in the past, but as you know it’s hit and miss. Jenks, OK also used to be a hotbed but last time we were through there, there were only two or three places left, but a couple of them were pretty good.

Chouteau has a couple of good places to eat also. There’s a large Amish community there and they run a couple of restaurants and bakeries in the town, which is not very big. The Dutch Pantry is an all-you-can-eat home cooking style buffet which is good, but the pies they sell there (you can buy a whole pie for about $10) are excellent.

Ken
Thank you Ken for responding! :D There are a number of antique places along highways 75 & 69, but I haven't been to any in the Jenks/Broken Bow are, so I may have to try there. You're right about the Amish places, we have shopped and eaten in some of their bakeries and they are very good. If we get over to that Jenks area I'll let you know what we find. ::tu::

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

royal0014 wrote:Shepherd Hills Cutlery in Lebanon, MO is worth the stop for any knifer.
They have more than just Case ....
::tu::
Brother you are so right. :D I have been there several times and my wife is always trying to drag me out. In fact there is a Shepherd Hills location in Branson, MO. and we are staying in a hotel withing walking distance, so if my wife wants to stay at the hotel or go somewhere else fine, I'm sure I can spend a few hours in there! ::ds:: Thanks for the response and I will let you know if they are about the small of different in any way.

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

dlr110 wrote:fact there is a Shepherd Hills location in Branson, MO. and we are staying in a hotel withing walking distance
I had forgot about that one. You lucky dog you !! !!
8) 8)
Chris
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

All right, we're "On the road again" looking for those treasures in all the antique stores, flea markets and what ever else looks good. We have a couple of stops we already know we want to make and then it's on to Branson, MO for a couple of days. I'll send updates as we go.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Wishing you were here! My trip is only half over and I already have 24 more knives.
Attachments
20190511_115727.jpg

doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Sounds like a prosperous trip!
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

doglegg wrote:Sounds like a prosperous trip!
Yes sir it is, and when I get home I have a lot of research to do on several of them. Will be sending pictures when I get home.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

royal0014 wrote:
dlr110 wrote:fact there is a Shepherd Hills location in Branson, MO. and we are staying in a hotel withing walking distance
I had forgot about that one. You lucky dog you !! !!
8) 8)
Chris thought I would share with you my purchase at the CASE store in Branson. Despite my photo that is a very beautiful cedar box. The handles on the knives are called Driftwood.
20190512_115123.jpg
20190512_114937.jpg

royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

::tu:: ::tu::
Chris
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

dlr110 wrote:Wishing you were here! My trip is only half over and I already have 24 more knives.
I'm enjoying your updates, David. Looks like you are having a wonderful trip.

If you don't mind my asking, where was this photo taken? You didn't mention coming this far north but it looks exactly like one of the antique shops here in town.
Attachments
20190511_115727.jpg
20190511_115727.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 1491 times
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Railsplitter wrote:
dlr110 wrote:Wishing you were here! My trip is only half over and I already have 24 more knives.
I'm enjoying your updates, David. Looks like you are having a wonderful trip.

If you don't mind my asking, where was this photo taken? You didn't mention coming this far north but it looks exactly like one of the antique shops here in town.
Rick, that picture is from South County Antiques Mall on Tesson Ferry Rd St. Louis. This phone makes it hard for me, but when I get home I will be uploading more pictures here and on my website. Also I will be adding some reviews of the locations we visit.

dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

I'm home again!! Had a great time seeing my son and grandsons and of course finding knives. My grand total this trip was 32 knives !!!!! ::ds::
Give me a couple of days to catch my breath and I'll get some pictures and stories uploaded here and on my website. Watch the KNIFE FINDS OF THE DAY Thread.

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”