R C Co Genesee ??? Robeson

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
ITSAKILLER

R C Co Genesee ??? Robeson

Post by ITSAKILLER »

Hi guys recently picked up this peal whittler marked R C Co Genesee on all three blade, back of 1 pen blade says Germany, did anyone ever see this before? Could it be ant relation to Robeson ??
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: R C Co Genesee ??? Robeson

Post by peanut740 »

Some very early Robesons were made in Germany.
Roger
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Yes, an early (1890s) Robeson stamp. See this old post of Charlie's: viewtopic.php?f=93&t=39003&p=375305&hil ... ee#p375305.

Dennis
ITSAKILLER

Post by ITSAKILLER »

Awesome, thanks Dennis, I guess I should have been able to fin that post, appreciate it
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I knew the stamp existed long ago, as I knew a guy that had one.

And when Tom Kalcevic came out with his first book, he listed the stamp.

Definitely prior to Millard Robeson contracting with the Sherwood / Bingham cutlery in Camillus, New York.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Genesee likely refers to Genesee County in N.Y. State. At one time Perry N.Y. was located in Genesee county and Robeson did operate a factory there. County maps and boundaries have changed and now Perry is in Wyoming county.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Also, the Genesee River is nearby, flowing through Letchworth State Park and gorge, which is a beautiful place. ::tu::

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&aut ... CweJPaikiw

Also, if I might clarify, I took the time to re-read my post on Robeson tang stamps referenced above and it appears the knife George posted in the OP has a stamp different from those listed by Tom Kalcevic or known to me.

R. C. CO. / GENESEE does not appear in Tom's book, Knives Can Talk!.

Tom listed a mark that was simply, GENESEE and that is also the mark my internet acquaintance possessed. He lived in the Perry, New York area. I have long ago lost contact with him, indeed, I cannot even recall his name at the moment. We met via Ebay in its earliest days, but he has just dropped out of sight and contact.

I would still date George's knife in the 1890's time frame and given the GERMANY stamp on one blade, after 1891, but prior to Sherwood / Bingham being contracted for Robeson's manufacture to circumvent the tariffs.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
ITSAKILLER

Post by ITSAKILLER »

Great info guys, thanks. It's always fun to find something like this. When I bought it I knew Genesee was in the Rochester area, so it made sense & also not far from Elmira where, according to Goins, Robeson started out as an import jobbing firm
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I remember visiting Letchworth State Park on a summer vacation with my parents in late 1950's or early 1960's. New York State, Vermont & New Hampshire all have remarkable beauty in their geography.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”