Need some help please

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knifemasterwid

Need some help please

Post by knifemasterwid »

My husband, Mike Miller was a custom knifemaker for years. I lost Mike in December to complications from Diabetes. What is left behind after his shop contents were sold is 213 PUMA blades. Mike was also for many years the only authorized PUMA repairman in the United States.

The blades are all manufactured either in Germany or Spain. They are in their original boxes and some are stamped PUMA, some are stamped Germany and some are unmarked (these were manufactured in Spain according to the boxes) They start at 4" then 5" blades and last 5.5" blades. I do not know what they are worth and wonder if someone out there might help me figure this out?

Also he has a large supply of exotic woods for handles. Before offering these for sale, it would be nice to know what the worth might be so I am in the know. Can anyone possibly help me?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Need some help please

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

knifemasterwid wrote:My husband, Mike Miller was a custom knifemaker for years. I lost Mike in December to complications from Diabetes. What is left behind after his shop contents were sold is 213 PUMA blades. Mike was also for many years the only authorized PUMA repairman in the United States.

The blades are all manufactured either in Germany or Spain. They are in their original boxes and some are stamped PUMA, some are stamped Germany and some are unmarked (these were manufactured in Spain according to the boxes) They start at 4" then 5" blades and last 5.5" blades. I do not know what they are worth and wonder if someone out there might help me figure this out?

Also he has a large supply of exotic woods for handles. Before offering these for sale, it would be nice to know what the worth might be so I am in the know. Can anyone possibly help me?

Welcome to the forum. It’s sad to read of your loss. It’s a big adjustment. Do you have an eBay account? There are exotic hardwoods for sale on eBay. A lot of them are “buy it now” and not auctions so you could find out the value of the slabs of wood there. That would also be a great place to offer them for sale. On the blades, I have no idea. You see a lot of old Schrade blades for sale on eBay but I don’t remember seeing Puma blades offered. They have to be worth something, but what I don’t know, hopefully someone will come along who also makes knives and can give you a better idea of value.
Hope this helps,
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
rugmar

Post by rugmar »

I too am so sorry for your loss. Losing a loved one is a very difficult time and I offer my belated condolences.

Could you post a picture of a few examples? It could make a big difference in value as to whether they are true blanks or finished blades. Are they ground, are they drilled, or maybe just in different states of becoming a finished knife? All these things may play in to how much they are worth.

I feel sure someone here will be able to assist you. Most that I have experienced on here are nothing but honest gentlemen so I believe you have come to the right place.

Take care of yourself and I hope the Lord showers you with blessings in your time of sadness.
knifemasterwid

Post by knifemasterwid »

I apologize ahead of time, as I am not the best photographer. But here are two photos of what I am talking about. Thank you for letting me know about ebay. Mike when it came to his knives, did everything from scratch but heat treating (which is an art onto itself) All I did was scrim some custom blades for his customers and keep his books. I don't know which exotic woods are what. It's all very confusing and overwhelming.
01mikeskniv.jpg
01mikesknives.jpg
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Also sorry to hear about your loss, I experienced the same thing one year ago. What do the wood scales measure? I assume they are for pocket knife handles. It is really hard to put a price on them, too many variables, like are they stabilized, how big , how thick , and etc. Some exotic wood like desert iron wood gets pretty costly. I have paid $20 to $50 for exhibition grade burl ironwood. 1 1/4"x 4 1/2"x 3/8" thick. BTW I make only fixed blade knives, no pocket knives. There are several members here on AAPK that do really good work on pocket knives however. You could check with Jantz knife supply for pricing on other woods. Good luck, Terry ::tu::
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
knifemasterwid

Post by knifemasterwid »

The exotics are not to scale. They’re just raw wood. He would cut and scale What he needed from his supply. His signature was that his knives were custom-made for each customers hands.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

I understand , I might be interested in some of that, if you could take a photo of a few pieces and give me some measurements, I try and figure out what you have and get back to you. thanks for now, Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

knifemasterwid wrote:The exotics are not to scale. They’re just raw wood. He would cut and scale What he needed from his supply. His signature was that his knives were custom-made for each customers hands.
Something occurred to me later after posting on this. You might want to contact Puma about those blades. They may not want those being sold where someone unauthorized might use them to counterfeit Puma knives. They might buy them back from you. It could be worth a call.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
knifemasterwid

Post by knifemasterwid »

Thank you so much all of you, for your incredibly kind posts and your straight-forward advice. On the exotic woods, I will get back with you- right now the wood is buried under items in one of our barns. My goal by this weekend is to have all those items out, inventoried and put back where they can be found easily. I will also contact PUMA- I didn't even think that I might be going about this all wrong. Thanks again Guys. One thing I learned by working side by side with Mike at the shows, you guys makers and collectors are all one in a million.

P.S. By the way, I just got off the phone with PUMA and they are extremely interested and will buy all the blades. THANK YOU ALL!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

knifemasterwid wrote:Thank you so much all of you, for your incredibly kind posts and your straight-forward advice. On the exotic woods, I will get back with you- right now the wood is buried under items in one of our barns. My goal by this weekend is to have all those items out, inventoried and put back where they can be found easily. I will also contact PUMA- I didn't even think that I might be going about this all wrong. Thanks again Guys. One thing I learned by working side by side with Mike at the shows, you guys makers and collectors are all one in a million.

P.S. By the way, I just got off the phone with PUMA and they are extremely interested and will buy all the blades. THANK YOU ALL!

Fantastic! I thought they would rather have them than take a chance that someone would counterfeit their knives with them. Really glad for you.
God’s blessings.
And you are right, knife people are the best.
SSk
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

knifemasterwid wrote:Thank you so much all of you, for your incredibly kind posts and your straight-forward advice. On the exotic woods, I will get back with you- right now the wood is buried under items in one of our barns. My goal by this weekend is to have all those items out, inventoried and put back where they can be found easily. I will also contact PUMA- I didn't even think that I might be going about this all wrong. Thanks again Guys. One thing I learned by working side by side with Mike at the shows, you guys makers and collectors are all one in a million.

What a good solution to that part of the problem. I trust you will be able to dispose of the woods with a similar satisfactory result. What part of the USA are you located in? There might be someone here on AAPK who could take a look at the balance of the items and give you some guidance.
Bless you in this difficult time. ::pray::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
knifemasterwid

Post by knifemasterwid »

I am in Oregon in the Willamette Valley. There are also blanks of AEBL Steel as well as some fixed blades already shaped in AEBL steel unfinished. He had lots of treasures
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Our member "ORVET" lives in Oregon in the Willamette Valley (Salem). He is a knifemaker/repairer/customizer who buys and uses nice pieces of wood.
knifemasterwid

Post by knifemasterwid »

Thank you- I forgot to just say that we (I) live in Sweet Home if anyone wishes to contact me about any of this- my email is mothermary55@comcast.net. Thank you again, you have been so wonderful during this difficult time.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hi knifemasterwid,
I am so sorry for your loss.
I am in Salem, about 50 miles from you. Was your husband a member of the Oregon Knife Collectors Association? If so, we probably have some friends in common.
My name is Dale Vincent and my forum name is orvet.

Sounds like you have the issue of blades taken care of, but perhaps I can help you with some of the other things you have left. I know several of the knife makers in OKCA and you may have things left they can use or that I can use.

I will send you an email with my contact information and we can form a plan there.

I hope this will be helpful,
Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”