What's Happening

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
JET79

Re: What's Happening

Post by JET79 »

Looks like the 2019 possibilities are up for view on GEC’s site
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Oh my goodness. 3 7/8" straight jack with clip main and coping pen. 3 9/16" cattle knife. And a 4 3/4" Coke bottle jack with double pulls on the Northfields, I'll be busy buying jacks in 2019 again it seems.
Screenshot_20180928-193817.png
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Ok guys, I was going to create a new thread regarding the recent "What's Happening" pics, but I had to resurrect this old thread because it seemed appropriate. So with no Production Schedule update, we're seeing: 47 Hawkbills, 72 Hoof Picks, 65 Fish Knives, all kinds of kitchen implements, and H10 mini Hunters! What's going on?? Are these non-scheduled runs going to be for knife shows, or are they going to the distributors?

- Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The exciting knife that is to be made this year is the #29 Eureka pattern as a 2 blade Jack and a 3 blade Cattle knife. Anyone know how soon work on these will begin ?
kj
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

kootenay joe wrote:The exciting knife that is to be made this year is the #29 Eureka pattern as a 2 blade Jack and a 3 blade Cattle knife. Anyone know how soon work on these will begin ?
kj
Roland, it sounds like you have more information than I. Is the name Eureka a common traditional pattern, or do you know that GEC will name the new 29 the Eureka? Also, where did you hear that they will run it in a 2 blade jack configuration? Clearly I'm in the dark on recent news.

- Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Eureka is a traditional name first used by Western States for a Swell Center Serpentine frame. The GEC site shows this under "Preview of Possibilities".
They only show a 3 blade Cattle version but a 2 blade Jack would make total sense so i think will also be made.
Check LG4 pages 187 and 191.
kj
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Did we already know that the 2019 AAPK knife would be a #97 or is this a new announcement?
http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/pro ... -schedule/
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

Does anyone know any details on the 39 lambsfoot mentioned in the new production schedule? Size? Handle shape?
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Rick, an AAPK is a new announcement to me. Had i known earlier i would have bought fewer 97's to 'leave room' for the AAPK edition.
kj
Frailer

Post by Frailer »

HighPlains wrote:Does anyone know any details on the 39 lambsfoot mentioned in the new production schedule? Size? Handle shape?
Frame length will be 3-7/8”. Overall length open will be just a hair under 7”.
04FD010F-0A3E-46DC-9274-2E6357840D26.jpeg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Railsplitter wrote:Did we already know that the 2019 AAPK knife would be a #97 or is this a new announcement?
News to me as well Rick. Oh well . I guess having four of them won't necessarily be a bad thing. ::facepalm::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

gsmith7158 wrote:
Railsplitter wrote:Did we already know that the 2019 AAPK knife would be a #97 or is this a new announcement?
News to me as well Rick. Oh well . I guess having four of them won't necessarily be a bad thing. ::facepalm::
You can never have too many knives, just like boolits. :D
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
willc

Post by willc »

m0nk wrote:Ok guys, I was going to create a new thread regarding the recent "What's Happening" pics, but I had to resurrect this old thread because it seemed appropriate. So with no Production Schedule update, we're seeing: 47 Hawkbills, 72 Hoof Picks, 65 Fish Knives, all kinds of kitchen implements, and H10 mini Hunters! What's going on?? Are these non-scheduled runs going to be for knife shows, or are they going to the distributors?

- Lee
Where did you see the 47,72and 65 info?
Also isn’t 65 Ben Hogan and 63 Fish knife?
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

willc wrote: Where did you see the 47,72and 65 info? Also isn’t 65 Ben Hogan and 63 Fish knife?
Willc, all these various patterns are seen in the "What's Happening" pics on the GEC production blog (http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/). The What's Happening link always hangs out near the top of the right side pane. You're right that the Ben Hogan is on the 65 frame, but they also make a F&F trim 65 Fish Knife. They've made a "Fish Knife" on both the 63 and 65 frames, but this one is a 65. You can't mistake the 63 because of its square bolster and fish tail end. The 65 has a copperhead shaped pivot end and round butt end. I think both are about 4 1/2" in length.

To continue the strangeness, GEC updated their production schedule, but none of the 47, 65, 72, kitchen, or H10 knives that are clearly in production are on it. Which leads me to suspect that they're for knife shows, or unlisted SFO's or something. Anyone have any insight into this?

-Lee
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Frailer wrote:
HighPlains wrote:Does anyone know any details on the 39 lambsfoot mentioned in the new production schedule? Size? Handle shape?

Frailer, welcome to AAPK! And that pic is exactly how I imagined such a knife to look. Charlie has had a similar looking Lambsfoot pic in his sig block on BF for quite a while now. No wonder he's getting it done right as an SFO now. It looks like it's gonna be a nice one. Reminds me of a 47 frame. Can I ask where you got that pic? I don't see it on the Waynorth site.

- Lee
willc

Post by willc »

m0nk wrote:
willc wrote: Where did you see the 47,72and 65 info? Also isn’t 65 Ben Hogan and 63 Fish knife?
Willc, all these various patterns are seen in the "What's Happening" pics on the GEC production blog (http://greateasterncutlery.net/blog/). The What's Happening link always hangs out near the top of the right side pane. You're right that the Ben Hogan is on the 65 frame, but they also make a F&F trim 65 Fish Knife. They've made a "Fish Knife" on both the 63 and 65 frames, but this one is a 65. You can't mistake the 63 because of its square bolster and fish tail end. The 65 has a copperhead shaped pivot end and round butt end. I think both are about 4 1/2" in length.

To continue the strangeness, GEC updated their production schedule, but none of the 47, 65, 72, kitchen, or H10 knives that are clearly in production are on it. Which leads me to suspect that they're for knife shows, or unlisted SFO's or something. Anyone have any insight into this?

-Lee
Thanks Lee.
I never noticed the What’s Happening link on side of page there.
The Nifebright and Orange Delrin fish knives should be nice. I have only seen them before in Black and the natural micarta.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Frailer wrote:

Out of curiosity, what’s with the “Buffalo, NY” in the Waynorth Cutlery tang stamp? I thought that Waynorth was located in the Pacific Northwest.
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Greenman wrote:
Frailer wrote:

Out of curiosity, what’s with the “Buffalo, NY” in the Waynorth Cutlery tang stamp? I thought that Waynorth was located in the Pacific Northwest.

If I remember right Charlie is originally from Buffalo, NY.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Charlie C's knives are made in USA and likely 95% or more are sold to people in USA. If they were marked "Canada", USA import laws might result in tariffs being charged and thus prices would be higher. Note this is speculation. I do not know what factors lead to the USA marking but tariffs are likely part of the reason.
kj
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

JohnR wrote:
Greenman wrote:
Frailer wrote:

If I remember right Charlie is originally from Buffalo, NY.
Thanks for the info, John. :)

kootenay joe wrote:Charlie C's knives are made in USA and likely 95% or more are sold to people in USA. If they were marked "Canada", USA import laws might result in tariffs being charged and thus prices would be higher. Note this is speculation. I do not know what factors lead to the USA marking but tariffs are likely part of the reason.
kj
Roland, that’s most likely the reason that the labels on the tubes for Charlie C’s knives (at least the ones that I’ve seen) display a post office box address in Point Roberts, Washington. I was born and raised in western New York State—Buffalo is a long way from Washington State. :lol: ::shrug::
Josh

/|\

“Man is the most insane species. He worships an invisible god and destroys a visible nature, unaware that this nature he's destroying is this god he's worshipping.”
— Hubert Reeves
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Buffalo is where Charlie grew up. It is a neat name to be on the knife, more so than "Point Roberts".
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

The GEC#29 Humpback has been renamed.
87745332212222211.jpg
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I have one on preorder from CK, in Tidioute bone, will be my first new knife in a long time. Size is just right at 3.5" and I love a knife with a punch. Looking forward to this one.
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I just bought a NOS GEC#93 Tidioute rams foot natural micarta knife. JSR Sports & More just received a small batch of #93 natural micarta and #93 Northfield antique jigged bone knives. You snooze ! You lose !
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I see some stag examples of the 92 Eureka jack showing up on the what's happening page. I do believe I'm gonna need one of those. :D Shipping next week perhaps?
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”