Camillus 23

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Camillus 23

Post by Jeffinn »

I had one of these knives last year. I cleaned it up and installed some new bone handles on it and then promptly sold it. I regretted selling that knife almost as soon as it left my possession.
I went on a purchasing binge recently for another Camillus 23 and found one on E-bay, then I found another one on an AAPK store, then one more on E-bay again. all of them were fairly priced so now I have an abundance of nice Camillus 23 knives for projects.
I cleaned this one up and re-handled it in a mahogany bone. For this particular bone I've noticed that it goes to a lighter color if you sand the top more than a bit. Its not a problem, the color is still nice just not a deep as you would expect for mahogany.
Still not too shabby;
P1010616.JPG
P1010617.JPG
P1010620.JPG
P1010625.JPG
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
https://www.jfinamoreknives.com
http://www.secondlifeknives.com
FRJ

Re: Camillus 23

Post by FRJ »

That looks great, Jeff. Nice job.
As near as I can tell, all 23s need to be recovered. Camillus put some unstable material on the ones I have seen.
The 23 is a fine, strong knife. I have two that were recovered by Muskrat Man.
You have given that one a new life. ::tu::
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Another great job Jeffinn. That is a great little knife and now with both stable and beautiful scales. ::tu:: ::tu::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Nice job Jeff! Those 23s are awesome knives! One wonders why they put such lousy covers on them? ::shrug::

I think the mahogany color from Culpeper's may vary a little bit from batch to batch. I have used it and had it come out to look a shade or two darker than the Amber, however yours looks a shade or two lighter than Amber, or maybe it's just my screen.
Nice job regardless!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I've got to get one myself. It's a big ole' knife, so good for heavy work as much as it is EDC. Still looking for one sub-$20 that doesn't have worn/heavily sharpened blades. On older examples, you see basically every one of them with yellowed/shrunken handles. I guess they chose the celluloid material because it was cheap, seeing as almost all of them have advertising for a felt (for rollers in paper mills) or paper products company.

Great rescale job on that one! I'm thinking ebony when I get one in.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Jeffinn wrote:I had one of these knives last year. I cleaned it up and installed some new bone handles on it and then promptly sold it. I regretted selling that knife almost as soon as it left my possession.
I went on a purchasing binge recently for another Camillus 23 and found one on E-bay, then I found another one on an AAPK store, then one more on E-bay again. all of them were fairly priced so now I have an abundance of nice Camillus 23 knives for projects.
I cleaned this one up and re-handled it in a mahogany bone. For this particular bone I've noticed that it goes to a lighter color if you sand the top more than a bit. Its not a problem, the color is still nice just not a deep as you would expect for mahogany.
Great job Jeffin! I did a 23 last year. I hope you don’t mind I will share with you what I finally did with mine.
Attachments
542D9CB1-889F-4BCB-A482-8E0FD1BD3B93.jpeg
BB41BDD3-1580-4330-91CF-CD227E354CE5.jpeg
D8E73958-1287-42F0-964E-10062A90EBDB.jpeg
1E211282-2BF1-4EDA-AA20-093C3B0C562E.jpeg
9F4E4350-4679-4F70-8BC5-A1F2908480E1.jpeg
03852AE0-6BE6-4C87-819C-74F51F0C23DE.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Landersknives wrote:
Jeffinn wrote:I had one of these knives last year. I cleaned it up and installed some new bone handles on it and then promptly sold it. I regretted selling that knife almost as soon as it left my possession.
Great job Jeffin! I did a 23 last year. I hope you don’t mind I will share with you what I finally did with mine.
Great picture show Ed. I have not liked that pattern handle on other knives I've seen but I sure like it on this one. Great job. ::nod:: ::tu::
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

Landersknives wrote:
That turned out great Ed!
I used that style of handle on another knife I did (reverse worm groove I believe, mine was wine colored). It’s an unusual pattern but I like it!
Hey … it’s a pocketknife for gosh sakes. I’m not selling the Mona Lisa….Bullitt4001
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

orvet wrote:Nice job Jeff! Those 23s are awesome knives! One wonders why they put such lousy covers on them? ::shrug::

I think the mahogany color from Culpeper's may vary a little bit from batch to batch. I have used it and had it come out to look a shade or two darker than the Amber, however yours looks a shade or two lighter than Amber, or maybe it's just my screen.
Nice job regardless!
Thanks Dale! It’s not your screen, definitely a shade or two lighter than Amber.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

cody6268 wrote:I've got to get one myself. It's a big ole' knife, so good for heavy work as much as it is EDC. Still looking for one sub-$20 that doesn't have worn/heavily sharpened blades. On older examples, you see basically every one of them with yellowed/shrunken handles. I guess they chose the celluloid material because it was cheap, seeing as almost all of them have advertising for a felt (for rollers in paper mills) or paper products company.

Great rescale job on that one! I'm thinking ebony when I get one in.
Thanks! The last three I bought were all in the $20-$30 range. All had great blades, crappy handles and just needed a little TLC. I’m thinking maybe smooth or jigged white bone for one of them. The other one may get done in Micarta. I haven’t worked with that material yet and want to give it a try.
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

FRJ wrote:That looks great, Jeff. Nice job.
As near as I can tell, all 23s need to be recovered. Camillus put some unstable material on the ones I have seen.
The 23 is a fine, strong knife. I have two that were recovered by Muskrat Man.
You have given that one a new life. ::tu::
Thanks!
Jeffinn
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jeffinn »

doglegg wrote:Another great job Jeffinn. That is a great little knife and now with both stable and beautiful scales. ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you for the kind words!
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Beautiful job on both knives guys! 23's are one of my favorites - built like a tank and very affordable. Ed, what is the name of the color and pattern of the bone you used? (I can't quite make it out in your picture that shows the empty plastic envelope.) Here are a couple that I rehandled quite some time ago. The top one is Bolivian Rosewood and the bottom one is Leopardwood. You guys have inspired me. I think I may try doing one in stag next. Best regards.

Herb
Attachments
DSCN9742.JPG
DSCN9743.JPG
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Herb those two turned out really knice. ::tu::
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice job on those beautiful wood handles, Herb.

I have to have someone replace mine for me. I asked Muskrat Man to do the job.
Here is my short line 23.
Smooth white bone.
Attachments
DSCN7527.JPG
DSCN7532.JPG
DSCN7561.JPG
DSCN7535.JPG
DSCN7538.JPG
DSCN7540.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

And my long line 23.
Canvas Micarta.
Attachments
DSCN7544.JPG
DSCN7546.JPG
DSCN7548.JPG
DSCN7551.JPG
DSCN7553.JPG
DSCN7559.JPG
Joe
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Joe that white bone especially looks good. ::tu::
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.wish I could post photo's!!.......the one i have that jerryd and glennbad did for me with the Thunderbird emblem on it is one of my treasures!!!............... ::tu:: ::groove:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ......................
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Tommy, your wish is my command.
Attachments
Tommy's Thunderbird Camillus 23.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

And treasure it you should Tommy, that thing is beautiful. ::nod:: ::nod::
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Joe, I like that green canvas micarta on your 23.
It looks ready to report for duty and do any task that needs to be done! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks, Dale. :)
Yeah, that Micarta looks pretty good on that knife. I like the way it came out.
You know those 23s, they wont shirk. ::tu::
Joe
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

herbva wrote:Beautiful job on both knives guys! 23's are one of my favorites - built like a tank and very affordable. Ed, what is the name of the color and pattern of the bone you used? (I can't quite make it out in your picture that shows the empty plastic envelope.) Here are a couple that I rehandled quite some time ago. The top one is Bolivian Rosewood and the bottom one is Leopardwood. You guys have inspired me. I think I may try doing one in stag next. Best regards.

Herb
Herb I will check on the color of the bone tomorrow. I can’t recall right off. I bought 3 sets I believe. I have two more 23s to do when I can get back in my shop. Thanks for the positive comment.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

herbva wrote:Beautiful job on both knives guys! 23's are one of my favorites - built like a tank and very affordable. Ed, what is the name of the color and pattern of the bone you used? (I can't quite make it out in your picture that shows the empty plastic envelope.) Here are a couple that I rehandled quite some time ago. The top one is Bolivian Rosewood and the bottom one is Leopardwood. You guys have inspired me. I think I may try doing one in stag next. Best regards.

Herb
The bone is called Wild Cherry Worm Groove. I bought it from Culpeppers. I buy when they send me their marked down listings. I try to buy at least 3 sets of everything I get. I hope this helps Herb.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Ed, thanks so much! I do the same thing when ordering from Culpepper, particularly because of the shipping fee. The 23 that was posted with white smooth bone looks very cool. It gave me an idea about doing one in something like ivory. I have never worked with mammoth ivory and considering the cost, I don't trust my beginner's skills. I wonder if there is a synthetic ivory alternative that looks close to the real thing?
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”