Canastota knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
aplejac

Canastota knife

Post by aplejac »

[image][/image]I have a Canastota knife given to be by my grandfather 50 years ago, and i cannot find out anything about it other than it was made between 1875-1895. i would appreciate any info as to value and rarity.
Doc B

Re: Canastota knife

Post by Doc B »

Welcome to AAPK. I'm sure folks will want to see some pictures, to help you out.
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Here is a link, there are a couple of threads, depending on your device... The first 3 threads...under "Topics"
viewforum.php?f=98
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

Canastota is located in Madison County in Central New york.William Hurlbut was President,GA Forbes Vice President.They opened in January of 1875 one year after most of the village buildings on Canal St. and Petersboro St burned to the ground.In 1878 they employed 70 men and produced 50 dozen knives a day,they offered 740 different styles of knives.They frequently closed for weeks or months because of strikes or machine breakdowns or unfavorable tariffs.They made knives for other companies such as Howard knife Co.They are high quality and rare knives.I grew up about 20 miles from Canastota,which is why I collect them.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK.

Per Goins’ Encyclopedia of Cutlery Markings Canastota Knife Co. N.Y. c 1875-1895 Incorporated in 1874, began manufacture of pocket knives in 1875. Went out of business in 1895. The marking “C.K. Co. Canastota N.Y.” was used on many of their knives.

A search of this forum for “Canastota” will find more info and examples of their knives. The search function hare can be found under Quicklinks. Scroll down to “search” and click on it.

Would really like to see a picture of yours!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
aplejac

Post by aplejac »

DSCN3040.JPG
DSCN3041.JPG
DSCN3042.JPG
DSCN3043.JPG
DSCN3044.JPG
DSCN3045.JPG
DSCN3046.JPG
Pictures of my Canastota knife. Any info and value would be appreciated.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Info has been pretty much answered above.Has to value,not much,that knife has seen a lot of use.
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Since the knife belonged to your grandfather, the value to you or someone in your family is priceless. However to a collector, as Roger said the knife has little value. In knife collecting, condition is paramount. Your grandfather obviously liked the knife a lot and about used it up. Which for sentimental purposes is great because it has his mark in the scars and use it bears, which he put on it. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”