Carry Backs

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
GARRYOWEN83

Carry Backs

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

A lady friend gave these bayonets to me. Said her father carried them back from Japan. I assume she means WW2. The 2 long bayonets one had scabbard. Couldnt find any markings on them. Shorter one marked torino with serial 3 also BG in a circle. The snake knife looks like a kid made it.
bayonette1.jpg
bayonette1a.jpg
bayonette2.jpg
torino1.jpg
torino2.jpg
torino3.jpg
torino4.jpg
snakeknife1.jpg
snakeknife2.jpg
snakeknife3.jpg
"GARRYOWEN" is the spirit of the 7th Cavalry
GARRYOWEN83

Re: Carry Backs

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

Here is another pic of the snake knife..lol
snakeknife4.jpg
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Pretty cool gifts GO. I would be curious to see the tools available to the maker of the snake knife. Again, great gifts! ::tu:: ::tu::
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

I tried talking her out of giving them to me. Well I guess they will go in the gun cabinet. LOL
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

On the chance that some viewers might not be familiar with it, the snake knife is called a Kris. This pattern was developed in Java; from Indonesia it spread to the southern Philippines and is the common warrior blade of the tribes in Mindanao and Sulu. The waves on the blade can represent either a snake or the flames of a fine.
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

Quick Steel wrote:On the chance that some viewers might not be familiar with it, the snake knife is called a Kris. This pattern was developed in Java; from Indonesia it spread to the southern Philippines and is the common warrior blade of the tribes in Mindanao and Sulu. The waves on the blade can represent either a snake or the flames of a fine.
Cool bit of info. I didnt think much of it a first.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The first bayonet looks to be from an Arisaka(?) rifle of WWII(my military knowledge is severely limited).The one marked "Torino" is likely of Italian origin and possibly for a Mannlicher-Carcano rifle.The keris' sheath looks almost of African origin but may be from the Phillippines. Just a SWAG.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

knife7knut wrote:The first bayonet looks to be from an Arisaka(?) rifle of WWII(my military knowledge is severely limited).The one marked "Torino" is likely of Italian origin and possibly for a Mannlicher-Carcano rifle.The keris' sheath looks almost of African origin but may be from the Phillippines. Just a SWAG.
Thanks for the info Knife7Knut.
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: If the one is a Samari sword I'd take it to a person familiar with the swords. It supposed to come apart and the makers name is on the tang under the handle. I seen this on pawn stars. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

The longer bayonet with the hook on the quillion is Japanese, WWII vintage for the Arisaka. Post some decent pics of the ricasso markings and we can tell which arsenal.
The Torino is Italian for the 1891 Carcano, could be WWI or WWII, I'm not super knowledgable about the several flavors of Carcano bayonets.
Plenty of bayonet specific site on the web for you to look at.
I doubt someone brought these back, at least both of them. As far as I know the Italians didn't have a presence in the Pacific and the Japanese weren't in the ETO.
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

One web site mentions these could be training bayonets. No markings and dull rounded blades.
cottage hill bill

Post by cottage hill bill »

Bayonets were not normally sharp. Some countries sharpened bayonets, British P1907s in WWI for instance. Even then it was not sharpened like a knife blade and would still appear relatively dull. Points are a different matter. Points were sharp. Training bayonets have very noticeably rounded tips. Both the bayonets pictured have sharp points, not training examples.
GARRYOWEN83

Post by GARRYOWEN83 »

cottage hill bill wrote:Bayonets were not normally sharp. Some countries sharpened bayonets, British P1907s in WWI for instance. Even then it was not sharpened like a knife blade and would still appear relatively dull. Points are a different matter. Points were sharp. Training bayonets have very noticeably rounded tips. Both the bayonets pictured have sharp points, not training examples.
Thanks for the info. Top of the blade has the same radius as the bottom. No marks, serial# no tang ,grind .

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”