GEC Auctions of Note

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC Auctions of Note

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

kootenay joe wrote:These high prices are due to strong collector interest. With many GEC patterns there are more interested collectors than knives to collect. If knife collecting does not continue to attract new members, in 10 years or so there could be far fewer knife collectors. If this happens the high prices being seen now will decline.
But the converse could happen. GEC is making such outstanding knives that many people new to knives might become enamored and become knife collectors. If this really took off then prices for the most desired patterns and knives with excellent handles would go higher than they are now.
It could go either way. The future is often not what had been expected.
kj
I would love to see statistics on who the buyers of these knives are. For my entire career I always kept in mind Harry Dent’s book “The Great Boom Ahead”. In that book written in 1991,Harry, who is a behavioral economist, showed the direct correlation between the baby boomers and the economy. He called it “the spending wave”. People are predictable when it comes to spending. When you reach your 40’s and through your 50’s you reach your peak of spending. When you look at the “spending wave” compared to the stock market, it’s a direct correlation. It’s also interesting the predictions he made in 1991. He predicted that Harley Davidson would reach a peak in the early 2000’s because the average Harley customer is a middle age white guy going through a midlife crisis. Around here, during that time period, motorcycles were everywhere. Now that the rush is over, not so much. And Harley’s stock has fallen off it’s perch now for many years.
The reason I went into all of that comes back to my first sentence. I wonder if the reason these knives are going for so much has to do w/ the “spending wave”. I just have to wonder how many buyers of these knives are people, mostly men, who now have disposable income and are satisfying their never before affordable urge to collect knives? If that’s what is driving this, then this thing has several more years to run. Problem is when the tap gets turned off, it gets ugly, just look at Harley Davidson.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Here is another one that surprised me with a winning bid of almost $532.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 2649103512
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:I would love to see statistics on who the buyers of these knives are.
I can't quote any statistics, but I do belong to a couple of Facebook groups dedicated to GEC and Northwoods knives. My observations from the active participants of these groups and what I can glean from their Facebook profiles is that the "enthusiasts" for these knives range from age 30 to age 60, with the most active people being on the younger side of that range.

My observation of the demographics of folks interested in pre-1970 knives is that their ages trend to 50+ with 60+ probably representing most of the folks.

If (when) the economy turns bad, I would expect some hardship selling of GEC and Northwoods and resulting price declines. On the flip side, when the GEC / Northwoods collector reaches their own "spending wave" cycle I would expect nostalgia to re-ignite interest in the 2006 - 2020 GEC / Northwoods knives and potentially drive prices even higher than they are now - assuming the economy is good when that time comes.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

RalphAlsip wrote:Here is another one that surprised me with a winning bid of almost $532.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Great-Eastern- ... 2649103512
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:I would love to see statistics on who the buyers of these knives are.
I can't quote any statistics, but I do belong to a couple of Facebook groups dedicated to GEC and Northwoods knives. My observations from the active participants of these groups and what I can glean from their Facebook profiles is that the "enthusiasts" for these knives range from age 30 to age 60, with the most active people being on the younger side of that range.

My observation of the demographics of folks interested in pre-1970 knives is that their ages trend to 50+ with 60+ probably representing most of the folks.

If (when) the economy turns bad, I would expect some hardship selling of GEC and Northwoods and resulting price declines. On the flip side, when the GEC / Northwoods collector reaches their own "spending wave" cycle I would expect nostalgia to re-ignite interest in the 2006 - 2020 GEC / Northwoods knives and potentially drive prices even higher than they are now - assuming the economy is good when that time comes.
Ralph, That’s very interesting. From my selling of a rather large collection, the people that were buying the 70’s era Case knives I had were in their 50’s for the most part. Several that reached out to me mentioned that this was the knife they wanted when they were a teenager but couldn’t afford. So that makes me think that you are right about those knives GEC is producing now and how there will be a nostalgia about those in the future. Given the small quantities these prices would see some huge appreciation when that happens.
I love that yellow knife you have there and it’s unique and handsome, but not handsome enough for me to part w/ 500 dollars to have it. Wow.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Beautiful Yellow Rose Cattle Baron ! A true Classic, 100 years ago, now and 100 years from now.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Here is an auction w/ 6 almost 7 days left to go and it’s already up to 500 dollars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MINT-1-60 ... SwJ8hcxg~d
I find it amazing that an acrylic handled knife would command such a high price. It is a beautiful knife though.
SSk
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (43.42 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Here is an auction w/ 6 almost 7 days left to go and it’s already up to 500 dollars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MINT-1-60 ... SwJ8hcxg~d
I find it amazing that an acrylic handled knife would command such a high price. It is a beautiful knife though.
SSk
Who are these people that are willing to spend or are spending so much on gec's? Holy cow.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Here is an auction w/ 6 almost 7 days left to go and it’s already up to 500 dollars. https://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-MINT-1-60 ... SwJ8hcxg~d
SSk
Who are these people that are willing to spend or are spending so much on gec's? Holy cow.
Just not my cup of tea dropping that much on an acrylic handle. I don't think that will stand the test of time.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It takes at least 2 people bidding to drive the price up, now at $510, for a Grinling whittler, 381315 with "Kryptonite acrylic" handles, which is green with black streaks. So more than one person thinks it is worth this much. I think it is a 'need' to win the competition rather than just really liking the knife. Obtaining GEC knives has become a competitive 'sport'. Once a few of the competitors move on to something else, the secondary market prices will drop and this will make others re-consider and then prices plummet, all the way to the original price, or less.
My sense is that this is coming sooner rather than 'later'. Sooner meaning next 2-3 years. Might even be at market peak right now.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

kootenay joe wrote:It takes at least 2 people bidding to drive the price up, now at $510, for a Grinling whittler, 381315 with "Kryptonite acrylic" handles, which is green with black streaks. So more than one person thinks it is worth this much. I think it is a 'need' to win the competition rather than just really liking the knife. Obtaining GEC knives has become a competitive 'sport'. Once a few of the competitors move on to something else, the secondary market prices will drop and this will make others re-consider and then prices plummet, all the way to the original price, or less.
My sense is that this is coming sooner rather than 'later'. Sooner meaning next 2-3 years. Might even be at market peak right now.
kj
I just can't wrap my head around the fact that people are paying up to 5x, 6x or more of what these gec's cost when you could get them new. These are not custom knives but people are paying that price. It's nuts!
-Paul T.

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Regarding my prediction that the very high prices for many GEC knives will not last, it must be noted that i have a perfect record of predicting financial changes. Whether it be local real estate market or various stocks, etc., i have always been wrong. So far i have a perfect record of making sensible predictions that turned out to be the exact opposite of what subsequently transpired.
kj
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

::rotflol:: ::tu:: ::tu::
kootenay joe wrote:Regarding my prediction that the very high prices for many GEC knives will not last, it must be noted that i have a perfect record of predicting financial changes. Whether it be local real estate market or various stocks, etc., i have always been wrong. So far i have a perfect record of making sensible predictions that turned out to be the exact opposite of what subsequently transpired.
kj
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

kootenay joe wrote:Regarding my prediction that the very high prices for many GEC knives will not last, it must be noted that i have a perfect record of predicting financial changes. Whether it be local real estate market or various stocks, etc., i have always been wrong. So far i have a perfect record of making sensible predictions that turned out to be the exact opposite of what subsequently transpired.
kj
Roland you ain't alone.A lot of so called experts are on that boat taking on water also.
Roger
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

Just did an eBay sweep for GECs...these prices are crazy! 200-300% mark up on knives that are still available through dealers! I understand supply/demand, and that the super rare models get those prices, but come on. Gonna stick to new releases.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The Green acrylic knife sold for 530. Just to keep track. Still can’t imagine why?
SSk
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

Ya, that green acrylic makes zero sense

Heres another
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-Great-Eas ... SwTitbxJ6k\

And a Charlie 97, 2 weeks ago sold for $155 new, if you could grab one.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Charlie-Campag ... SwcjBcvi1p
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

BAX229 wrote:Ya, that green acrylic makes zero sense

Heres another

Outrageous Buy Now prices are meaningless. It’s just someone fishing for a dupe. Maybe they get lucky occasionally.

Only completed auction listings give a sense of the state of the market.

As for the green acrylic whittler, I don’t like acrylic scales either. But some guys do. Dead skunk comes to mind.

But more to the point, that is a very scarce knife. GEC whittlers in general are fairly scarce and I believe the 38 was made only in 2015. And that color of acrylic is the third-lowest production total of the whole run. So for someone who really prizes whittlers and really prizes scarcity, this is a valuable knife.

And remember you can’t get these at retail easily. Especially if you joined the GEC game late. I am a relative new-comer and after having bought quite a few GECs I’ve found that I really only get super excited about old, stiff 23s and 73s. So yes, I have paid well above retail sometimes. And I can tell you I don’t regret it. And if I do, then that knife goes back onto the market. And if I take a bath on a knife, that’s just part of the game. As KJ always says, you can’t judge a knife by a picture. You simply have to get them in hand to know if you like them. The greater the risk, the greater the reward.
BAX229

Post by BAX229 »

HighPlains wrote:
BAX229 wrote:Ya, that green acrylic makes zero sense

Heres another

Outrageous Buy Now prices are meaningless. It’s just someone fishing for a dupe. Maybe they get lucky occasionally.

Only completed auction listings give a sense of the state of the market.

As for the green acrylic whittler, I don’t like acrylic scales either. But some guys do. Dead skunk comes to mind.

But more to the point, that is a very scarce knife. GEC whittlers in general are fairly scarce and I believe the 38 was made only in 2015. And that color of acrylic is the third-lowest production total of the whole run. So for someone who really prizes whittlers and really prizes scarcity, this is a valuable knife.

And remember you can’t get these at retail easily. Especially if you joined the GEC game late. I am a relative new-comer and after having bought quite a few GECs I’ve found that I really only get super excited about old, stiff 23s and 73s. So yes, I have paid well above retail sometimes. And I can tell you I don’t regret it. And if I do, then that knife goes back onto the market. And if I take a bath on a knife, that’s just part of the game. As KJ always says, you can’t judge a knife by a picture. You simply have to get them in hand to know if you like them. The greater the risk, the greater the reward.
Ya, I get how it works. A knife is only worth what someone will pay (even if it's $400, for a $100 knife)
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Did you all see this one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-EASTERN- ... fresh=true Went for 520 and that was a 300 dollar bump at the very last second. Impressive. I was thinking of bidding but got out bid early. This one is pretty sweet.
Attachments
s-l400.jpg
s-l400.jpg (28.7 KiB) Viewed 4407 times
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Extremely nice knife but a very high price. I would like to know what this might sell for in 5 years time.
kj
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

There were only a handful or two of the double shields made. There are a number of folks who value it, obviously. :)
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Wow...these just keep commanding more and more $$$...
tc.png
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Head bang ::facepalm:: .
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

If Charlie's intention is for his TC Barlows to be carried by everybody who buys one, he may have to rethink the quantities.

Things like this are why I've put my ebony and ancient TCs in the safe. ::shrug::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Tsar Bomba wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 10:56 pm If Charlie's intention is for his TC Barlows to be carried by everybody who buys one, he may have to rethink the quantities.

Things like this are why I've put my ebony and ancient TCs in the safe. ::shrug::
For those who bought these in the hope of selling for a profit, i think now is a good time to cash in. It might not the absolute top of the market, but i do not see these high prices being maintained for more than another 2-3 years. When some of the dedicated GEC collectors move on to new interests, the very highly price GEC's will begin to drop in price. It will be sudden and precipitous.
The knife 'market' has a history of swings in popularity and therefore prices because collector interests change regularly.
Although i believe this, i have also believed things in the past and with things that involved money, i have so far always been wrong.
kj
KnifeSlinger#81

Doc B wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:14 pm Wow...these just keep commanding more and more $$$...tc.png
I could find 3 or maybe 4 really nice old bone schrades on ebay for around the same price that one TC sold (spread out of course). Lol.
-Paul T.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”