GEC # 97

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
WillyCamaro

Re: GEC # 97

Post by WillyCamaro »

You guys are baddd... ::disgust::
I am almost broke from this last month of starting guitar, new glasses, clothing stock up.
Now i "have" get one for myself...
:lol: :lol: :lol:
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Greg, i don't understand this: " With the larger blade you just don't need the kind of snap that you get in a stockman or or smaller jack."
I associate larger slipjoints with stronger springs and knives like Gent's pen knives with softer springs.
Would you mind explaining why a lesser snap on a larger knife is 'all you need' ?
thanks, note i am not disagreeing, just wanting to learn.
kj
Nothing really scientific on my part Roland it just feels to me like the weight of the larger blades on these hunters kind of equals out the spring strength and the blades just roll into place. The only exception I found was a thin flat grind hunter that snapped fairly hard..
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Knife Connection just listed some stag.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Some very nice stag on the Knife Connection 97's but all are SOLD.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Some very nice stag on the Knife Connection 97's but all are SOLD.
kj
That didn't take long, I was able to pick up a pretty nice one, I'm thinking each dealer did not get very many of the stag ones.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The internet connection i have takes a full 2-3 minutes per mouse click to connect. I don't stand a chance.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Here's the one I picked, you have to do it fast or they disappear while you are looking.
Attachments
GEC-N976119-SS-1.jpg
GEC-N976119-SS-1_alt2.jpg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

John, nice knife ! These 97's have excellent stag but i am sure there are not enough of them for all of us who would like to get one. I wonder how many are already on ebay with high B.I.N. price ?
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:John, nice knife ! These 97's have excellent stag but i am sure there are not enough of them for all of us who would like to get one. I wonder how many are already on ebay with high B.I.N. price ?
kj
Thanks Roland, I did see one on Ebay Sat or Sun that had a 175 BIN and it sold fairly fast.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Right now there are no stag 97's listed on ebay. Likely a few will show up. $175 is quite reasonable for secondary market price.
kj
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I just bought a "yellow rose"
from TSA Knives. $119.95.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

This is my 3rd 97, in Gabon Ebony. The snap on this is just fine as is the snap on the other two that I have.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_0013.jpeg
IMG_0014.jpeg
IMG_0015.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

This one was here when I arrived home today. I wasn't overly impressed with CK's allotment of stag 97's. I thought other dealers got some much nicer examples but sometimes that's what happens when you lock yourself in to a reserve. You get one but it may not be the best one. This one has some blade rub on the mark side crest of the saber grind. The snap and action is consistent with the ebony 97 I have already received. I may turn this one into an EDC if I can find a proper sheath.
Attachments
IMG_5137 (2).JPG
IMG_5138 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Stephen wrote:I just bought a "yellow rose"
from TSA Knives. $119.95.
Stephen, Thank for posting that. Just bought a yellow rose as well. I have not heard of TSA knives. Much appreciated.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

You are very welcome. I've been buying GEC kives from TSA for years.
The owner, Greg, is a very good guy.
He delivers quickly and if you have a problem, he can be easily contacted by email or phone and he'll resolve any issues fairly.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Stephen wrote:You are very welcome. I've been buying GEC kives from TSA for years.
The owner, Greg, is a very good guy.
He delivers quickly and if you have a problem, he can be easily contacted by email or phone and he'll resolve any issues fairly.
I couldn’t believe that within minutes of the confirmation email I got a shipping notification. Fantastic. Thank you again.
Mark
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

GEC Stag 97 just hit Knives Ship Free
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My email from KSF about Stag 97's came in at 1523 hrs. I did not see it until 45 minutes later and expected all would be long gone. But there were still about 15 ? left including one i rather like. Then even with my Slow Speed internet i was able to checkout successfully.
Did KSF receive a very large shipment ? Or is the demand slacking a bit as other dealers have had these for up to 1 week ?
kj
Attachments
gec-97-stag-a-29__39349.1555624858.jpg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:My email from KSF about Stag 97's came in at 1523 hrs. I did not see it until 45 minutes later and expected all would be long gone. But there were still about 15 ? left including one i rather like. Then even with my Slow Speed internet i was able to checkout successfully.
Did KSF receive a very large shipment ? Or is the demand slacking a bit as other dealers have had these for up to 1 week ?
kj

I didn’t see if for an hour and missed this one too. RATS!
SSk
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

There will be Stag 97's sold on secondary market here at AAPK for reasonable prices. Because there is no time to carefully select the stag that looks 'just right', some of the successful buyers will be a bit disappointed and will 'pass along' their knife.
Well, i think this is what will happen.
kj
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

kootenay joe wrote:Because there is no time to carefully select the stag that looks 'just right', some of the successful buyers will be a bit disappointed and will 'pass along' their knife.
kj
I ordered one from CK today. Like kootenay joe wrote, you can't take a long time to decide. I think (hope) I got a nice one, but who knows? There is no way I was going to take the time to save pictures. I would be afraid someone else would buy it while I was taking the extra time to do it. I thought I might be able to hit the back arrow to go back to the pics, but that did not work.:( I will post them when I get it in.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:My email from KSF about Stag 97's came in at 1523 hrs. I did not see it until 45 minutes later and expected all would be long gone. But there were still about 15 ? left including one i rather like. Then even with my Slow Speed internet i was able to checkout successfully.
kj

Nice one Roland, I almost bought that one but decided I really did not need 2. They all went in less than 2 hours so I don't think demand has slackened.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

UPDATE: I just received a call from Charles at KSF. The Stag 97 i paid for and received confirmation of the sale, is going elsewhere. I think while i was going through the checkout which is slow with the internet speed we have here, someone else checked it out faster.
He has offered me a different Stag 97 which is nice but not as appealing to me as the one i 'bought'. Or i could get a refund.
Not sure what i should do. Quite likely this is the only chance i will get for a Stag 97.
I have to decide quickly. Darn.
kj
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Buy it, receive it, inspect it, and keep it if you like it.
If not, put it up for sale and I'm certain that you'll
make a profit regardless of your opinion of its appearance.
I have a 97 stag enroute that I "bought blind" from 'Circle A Knives
that I intend to handle in the above fashion.
Good luck.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Question: How long does it take you to go from item in cart at KSF to completed checkout with PP ?
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”