Northwwoods Wharnecliffe Whittler in Mammoth

The Northwoods Knife brand name originated in Gladstone, Michigan when a man named Dave Shirley adopted it as his knife company's name in 2004. Dave was well known for collaborating with popular knife companies to have knives made to his specifications for resale well before 2004 & beyond. KnivesShipFree bought Northwoods from Dave & has continued to team up with respected makers to produce knives marked with the Northwoods brand name.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Northwwoods Wharnecliffe Whittler in Mammoth

Post by gsmith7158 »

I didn't see a thread for the GEC wharnecliffe whittler so I made a new one in the Northwoods forum. I was most pleased to acquire this one
Attachments
IMG_5116 (2).JPG
IMG_5118 (2).JPG
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Northwwoods Wharnecliffe Whittler in Mammoth

Post by doglegg »

Lovely Gregg! Love it. ::nod::
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

Gorgeous knife!!!
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Greg, beautiful knife and nice pictures. ::tu:: ::tu::
Is that a Norfolk pattern?
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Jerry it is a Norfolk Whittler. Here's a pic from the KSF Northwoods Archives. I bought this on a BIN the first day it was up on Ebay and it looks like I got it just in time. Here's what they did to my purchase history page on the day that it was delivered.
Screenshot_2019-04-14 My eBay Purchase History.png
Attachments
Norfolk Whittler.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Greg, i think this Norfolk might be the best of all possible Northwoods finds. Super pattern and the best of handles. I have an elephant ivory Norfolk and would love to find a mammoth one.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

gsmith7158 wrote:Jerry it is a Norfolk Whittler. Here's a pic from the KSF Northwoods Archives. I bought this on a BIN the first day it was up on Ebay and it looks like I got it just in time. Here's what they did to my purchase history page on the day that it was delivered.Screenshot_2019-04-14 My eBay Purchase History.png

Greg, Beautiful knife. Any idea why the removed this? Is this an ivory issue? Just wondering.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Doglegg, Doc B, Jerry and Roland , thanks for those gracious comments. It's a fantastic knife. ::nod:: SSk apparently it was. I find their actions pretty ridiculous. I am unable to leave positive feedback for the seller but I'll bet a dollar to a donut that that Ebay wasn't offended enough by this sale to refuse their final value fee. ::td::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Wow, that is a nice one!! Love that color.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

OLDE CUTLER wrote:Wow, that is a nice one!! Love that color.
Thanks OC! ::handshake::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

gsmith7158 wrote:Doglegg, Doc B, Jerry and Roland , thanks for those gracious comments. It's a fantastic knife. ::nod:: SSk apparently it was. I find their actions pretty ridiculous. I am unable to leave positive feedback for the seller but I'll bet a dollar to a donut that that Ebay wasn't offended enough by this sale to refuse their final value fee. ::td::

I really think that you are going to see more of this kind of activity from eBay. Since there are 5 states that ban the sale of mammoth ivory already, I am surprised they haven’t moved to ban it on their platform before now. All it will take is some state attorney general going after them or someone else and eBay will remove all mammoth ivory in no time. Wouldn’t be surprised if GEC and others stop offering knife handles in mammoth ivory because of this.
I am not buying any more knives that are handled in mammoth ivory, unless I plan on using it. For collectors it seems to me you are running the risk of having a “stranded asset”. I know the fights I have had w/ eBay over this very issue and it’s getting uglier all the time if you try to sell mammoth ivory on eBay. They have threatened to ban me from selling because of this. There is no reasoning w/ corporate policy.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:Doglegg, Doc B, Jerry and Roland , thanks for those gracious comments. It's a fantastic knife. ::nod:: SSk apparently it was. I find their actions pretty ridiculous. I am unable to leave positive feedback for the seller but I'll bet a dollar to a donut that that Ebay wasn't offended enough by this sale to refuse their final value fee. ::td::

I really think that you are going to see more of this kind of activity from eBay. Since there are 5 states that ban the sale of mammoth ivory already, I am surprised they haven’t moved to ban it on their platform before now. All it will take is some state attorney general going after them or someone else and eBay will remove all mammoth ivory in no time. Wouldn’t be surprised if GEC and others stop offering knife handles in mammoth ivory because of this.
I am not buying any more knives that are handled in mammoth ivory, unless I plan on using it. For collectors it seems to me you are running the risk of having a “stranded asset”. I know the fights I have had w/ eBay over this very issue and it’s getting uglier all the time if you try to sell mammoth ivory on eBay. They have threatened to ban me from selling because of this. There is no reasoning w/ corporate policy.
SSk
That's probably true Mark but if it is banned I don't think there is much they can do about private sales among collectors. All they are doing is increasing the collector value of these knives IMO.
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
FarSide
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by FarSide »

That's a heck of a score. Very rarely see any of those in the three blade whittler. I used to have the two blade Calico Norfolk, but was stupid and sold it ::dang:: ::shrug::
-Tim
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Just for sake of accuracy, the O.P. knife is a Norfolk whittler pattern with a Wharncliffe master blade. A "Wharncliffe whittler" has a serpentine frame & Wharncliffe master blade.
kj

Return to “Northwoods Knife Collector's Forum”