Is this a real winchester or a knockoff?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Vinball

Is this a real winchester or a knockoff?

Post by Vinball »

Hello there! New member here and i’m just getting into knives.
Recently picked this knife up from a car swap meet.
Thought it looked interesting and it felt sturdy and very well made, no play in any of the Moving parts. Then when i came home i thought id do some research on the knife but i cant seem to find any picture or thread or anything about this knife.
So my Question is, did i buy a ”good quality” (or good feel) knockoff, or did a buy a somewhat rare winchester, oooor, am i just really bad at finding stuff on Google?
Attachments
image.jpg
Gunsil

Re: Is this a real winchester or a knockoff?

Post by Gunsil »

That would depend on what you call a "real Winchester" The "real" Winchester Cutlery Co to many was only in existence from 1919-1942 and those are the only ones actually made by Winchester in their own factory. Naturally, your knife is not one of those. With the advent of knife collecting and the Winchester name being famous and their original knives being sought after but scarce fakes have been made, usually in Germany. Then there are the Winchester approved knives which are not made by Winchester but made "for" them by other cutlery companies, and then there are the complete "knock-offs" marked Winchester made without company consent. I am sure there are folks here who collect the later "Winchesters" who will be able to tell you whether your knife is an "approved" one or a knockoff.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Vinball wrote:Hello there! New member here and i’m just getting into knives.
Recently picked this knife up from a car swap meet.
Thought it looked interesting and it felt sturdy and very well made, no play in any of the Moving parts. Then when i came home i thought id do some research on the knife but i cant seem to find any picture or thread or anything about this knife.
So my Question is, did i buy a ”good quality” (or good feel) knockoff, or did a buy a somewhat rare winchester, oooor, am i just really bad at finding stuff on Google?

Welcome to the forum. I am pretty sure that is a Chinese made Winchester. Surprised it doesn’t say China on it somewhere. Maybe they put that on the box.
Check on Ebay for this “Winchester lockback knife”.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Vinball

Post by Vinball »

Well thats a Shame, waste of money. But hey atleast its still sharp, guess it would make a good boxcutter :D
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Vinball, just put it in your pocket and cut something with it. Treat it like a knife you meant to use and enjoy it. And welcome to AAPK. ::tu::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Welcome to aapk and knife collecting. I am not an expert on old Winchester Knives but most of the Chinese made copies did have a "china" etched on them some place on the tang, BUT- it wore off pretty easy and if it was there, you maynot be able to see it. Some of the currently made Chinese knives have pretty good quality, so I would just use it. Personally I don't buy any Winchester knives because there are so many copies, fakes, and etc. and I don't know enough about them to tell what they are. My advise to new collectors of anything, is to buy books and do the research. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Vinball

Post by Vinball »

Thanks for the warm welcome!
The knife feels good and does seem to hold an edge pretty well, i will use it on a daily basis and who knows, it might outlive me!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Welcome to AAPK, and that is a Chinese made knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Definitely constructed of better materials and workmanship than the Carolina Knife and Tool Winchesters you'll see at a lot of stores around Christmas. They're not sharp and neither can you sharpen them--the steel is BAD! Likely predates that by a few years. The Bluegrass Cutlery Winchesters (USA and Chinese) look good as well.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

There are many knives which are lightly etched "China" on the blades and the owners polish the etching off in hopes of increasing their value.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
RancherinAz

Post by RancherinAz »

I just got a Winchester Muskrat . Made in China
with the "staglon" covers . It's about a 15 dollar knife .
But it's pretty impressive for 15 bucks . In fact , it has better fit and finish than a lot of some US manufactured stuff I've seen . The walk and talk is excellent on it . No gaps to speak of and its no doubt the typical 440a stainless or Chinese equivalent .
For 15 bucks , you really can't go wrong . Even for 20 bucks .
I've seen 60 dollar knives that were no better to tell ya the truth .
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Welcome to AAPK!

Knives are for cutting stuff.....many Kershaw knives and Gerber and others have knives made in communist china....just the way it is.
There plenty of USA knife makers as ytou'll learn.

Start your collection with that one!!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Welcome Sir, there are an amazing variety to choose from catering to price, political persuasion, artistic appeal, history........ Glad you got one you like. Welcome. ::handshake::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”