Weak snap on a GEC?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Tsar Bomba

Re: Weak snap on a GEC?

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Personally I have no problem with the snap on my ebony NF or my cherrywood Tidioute. It's not gator-like such as most of my large Barlows but it is definitely snappier than some of my >1970s Schrade folding hunters and they out-snap every large knife I own by Gerber, Buck, or Parker. The slipjoint locks up fine and the open blade won't budge unless you rap the spine. Since I'm not making knife-torture web videos with Lynn Thompson using my GECs, I think I'll be OK. :wink:

I get the complaints, and I do somewhat appreciate the visceral sound and feel of a beartrap snap, but the 97 appears to be a perfectly functional knife for using as intended.

JMNSHO/YMMV/NRNE (no refunds no exchanges)/ETC. :mrgreen:
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree with this: "the 97 appears to be a perfectly functional knife for using as intended."
How difficult would it be for GEC to do a run of 97's with a thicker spring ? All they would need to do is make some thicker springs, it seems to me.
If anyone here knows Bill Howard how about asking him if another run with a stouter spring might be considered. Could have it's own handle material so right away could be ID'd as "97 stout" and just the FFG which is better for a dedicated hunting knife than a saber grind.
kj
"
TravisB

Post by TravisB »

Mumbleypeg wrote:The #35 Churchill. ::td:: ::td::

Ken
I haven’t had much luck with 35 Churchill’s either, :(
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

Tsar Bomba wrote: I get the complaints, and I do somewhat appreciate the visceral sound and feel of a beartrap snap, but the 97 appears to be a perfectly functional knife for using as intended.
JMNSHO/YMMV/NRNE (no refunds no exchanges)/ETC. :mrgreen:
You are correct, only because it is itended to sold to old men with weak fingers who place the knife in a display case where it is left, only to be fondled a few time a year.
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The 97 is a good user for those with experience in both knife use and field dressing. If you have not used a folding knife much or if you are not 'at home' field dressing a downed game animal, then the softer spring might mean you knock it to half stop. It is unlikely to go past the half stop.
The importance of experience with field dressing cannot be over-stated in this situation. Field dressing involves quite a few cuts, many are inside the body cavity with limited visibility. If you don't have all the moves 'down', then you could easily bump the blade spine and knock it to half stop.
A stronger spring would be better for those with less experience.
I hope to use my Tidioute 97 this Fall and if i do i will post how it went.
kj
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

kootenay joe wrote:The 97 is a good user for those with experience in both knife use and field dressing. If you have not used a folding knife much or if you are not 'at home' field dressing a downed game animal, then the softer spring might mean you knock it to half stop. It is unlikely to go past the half stop.
The importance of experience with field dressing cannot be over-stated in this situation. Field dressing involves quite a few cuts, many are inside the body cavity with limited visibility. If you don't have all the moves 'down', then you could easily bump the blade spine and knock it to half stop.
A stronger spring would be better for those with less experience.
I hope to use my Tidioute 97 this Fall and if i do i will post how it went.
kj
You are going to tell an Alaskan Big Game Guide how to dress out game? :roll:
The bible say not to argue with a fool so keep on flapping your gums :lol:
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "You are going to tell an Alaskan Big Game Guide how to dress out game?"
No.
I was just stating the obvious. If you or anyone is afraid of their 97 closing to half stop when in use then find a slip joint with a stronger spring or better yet, with a locking mechanism.
I am confident that my 97 Tidioute is safe for me to use. This is not about you or the 97 you have.
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I own 5 GEC#97 Allegheny knives. I already paid for the Oregon club knife. The knife show is today , so I will receive my knife very soon. The Oregon Club knife and the American Whittler #97 have the best looking Antique yellow bone. My snaps are fine so far. I have one arm and these #97s were made just for me. I spotted some "S" stamped reduced priced #97s at "The Knife Connection" I bought two #43 "S" knives last year and they work perfect for me. I recommend the American Whittler knife. If you can't find a Sambar Stag #97 , go with the American Whittler with the large hounds tooth. The GEC#97s are the best Hunter knives for one arm me. "NO SUCH THING AS A PERFECT KNIFE !"
American-label-97.jpg
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

I've been saying for over two months, of only they had produced some with liner locks, there would be no issue. The collectors could get the lockless, and the folks who actually wanted to use theirs could get locks.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the workmanship that went into this pattern. Gorgeous knife, silky smooth action. But the weak spring combined with just how much leverage that big long blade is able to produce, and it pretty much takes it out of the equation for the pattern's intended use, (a folding hunter.) Sent my antique amber, err "autumn gold" back. I'll be keeping the yellow Rose in the collection.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I picked up my Northfield 97 with ebony handles today. Very well made knife with decent spring tension. I would call it a 5.0 - 5.5 for pull strength. I consider the spring tension to be correct for this pattern. My Tidioute maroon Micarta 97 has similar spring tension, just slightly less than the Northfield one.
Based on posts here it seems that some 97's have a weaker spring than others. I doubt it is all just owner preference.
kj
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

::tu::
Ajd3530 your comments hit the mark with me. Fit & finish as well as walk-n-talk are fine but pull is weak to piddly on this one I bought. I considered sending it back but read the reviews and figured that's just the way most are on this run. My two cents to add; on folders, heavier pull or liner lock get the nod when reaching up to cut the windpipe when field dressing. On collectors I much prefer a firm pull and loud snap.
Attachments
IMG_7528.JPG
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Glad I stayed away from this run..if I buy a big single blade slipjoint I want a 7 or higher pull n snap. That’s a big blade it needs some authority on spring tension. I hate light pulls make em strong it adds peace of mind while I’m using my knives!
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
markpreston

Post by markpreston »

Ive been handling GEC at shows a lot lately and have definitely noticed the pulls getting weaker from about 2016 on. Maybe its just the examples Ive handled, I don't know. The modern Case and GEC seem about the same now on the pull. Older GEC and older case where much snappier. I like a stout snap but the sweet spot is objective to the user. Only knife Ive ever sent back to a dealer was because of almost non existent walk and talk. If I had to pick one brand out of the box that had the most consistent pull would be Victorinox or Wenger.
Open Range-19
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Open Range-19 »

I'll 2nd markpreston about those Swiss knives. My Wenger as well as others I've handled and all Victorinox I've crossed paths with, no issues. In addition IMO most Queens-even the late ones (that often have other problems; grind(s), hafting or polishing issues) tend to be snappy. I soured on Case's lazy blades productions from the 90's-unless they were made by Queen (Case Classics).
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Drukai wrote:Glad I stayed away from this run..if I buy a big single blade slipjoint I want a 7 or higher pull n snap. That’s a big blade it needs some authority on spring tension. I hate light pulls make em strong it adds peace of mind while I’m using my knives!
Now y'all know why I asked for a granddaddy Barlow in the thread about dream future patterns from GEC. :mrgreen:

Oh, and for my final input into this thread: The new #12s seem to have solved the GEC "snap problem." If you consider them to have "weak snap" then I consider your judgment of snap to be misguided at best and outright silly (if not dangerous) at worst.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Onearmbladejunkie

I own 22 GEC knives and two on the way. I have 4 fingers and one thumb ! I don't need no "gator snap" !
fb8790075443.png
fb8790075443.png (44.17 KiB) Viewed 3354 times
Onearmbladejunkie

I just bought a 2017 GEC#38 Special in Tractor green . The pull is about a 5 at most. I love it. This GEC #38 is the best child's knife. I need to buy another one for a gift.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I agree that a folding knife does not need stiff springs. They should be easy to open but with enough spring tension to solidly hold the blade in the open position. But if it is not 'just right', then it is better to be 'too stiff' than 'too weak'.
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”