GEC # 97

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC # 97

Post by gsmith7158 »

kootenay joe wrote:Does anyone know when the Northfield 97's will arrive at the dealers ?
kj
Should be soon Roland the second Tidioute hit KSF today, so one more Tidiouteand then the Northfields. ::groove::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The 97's are very appealing. I don't like every gec to hit the shelves but these are much more intriguing than many of their recent runs. They are also much cheaper than a nice old coke bottle hunter, something I have always wanted but they are so costly. Too bad the 97's came out while I'm saving up for a show.

With such a large run maybe I can still get one or two, I certainly don't want them all. Either way I'm looking forward to other people's impressions of them.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

Received the first one I reserved of the 97's, jigged Brazilian Cherry and its a nice knife. Great fit and finish, I don't know how GEC consistently puts together such a high quality knife. Pull is fine, on the lighter side, 5 or so, I'm starting to appreciate lighter pulls as the arthritis in my hands is getting worse. Looking forward to the Northfields I have reserved.
Attachments
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0019.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

JohnR wrote:Received the first one I reserved of the 97's, jigged Brazilian Cherry and its a nice knife. Great fit and finish, I don't know how GEC consistently puts together such a high quality knife. Pull is fine, on the lighter side, 5 or so, I'm starting to appreciate lighter pulls as the arthritis in my hands is getting worse. Looking forward to the Northfields I have reserved.
John I like those much more than I thought I would. Somehow GEC has given that wood a bit of a distressed look which I think makes it look fantastic! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

gsmith7158 wrote:
JohnR wrote:Received the first one I reserved of the 97's, jigged Brazilian Cherry and its a nice knife. Great fit and finish, I don't know how GEC consistently puts together such a high quality knife. Pull is fine, on the lighter side, 5 or so, I'm starting to appreciate lighter pulls as the arthritis in my hands is getting worse. Looking forward to the Northfields I have reserved.
John I like those much more than I thought I would. Somehow GEC has given that wood a bit of a distressed look which I think makes it look fantastic! ::tu::
Thanks Greg, it is a good looking well built knife.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I HAVE ONE ARM. I OPEN SOME OF MY FOLDERS WITH MY FEET AND A CASEXX BLADE PICK. I HAVE BEEN WANTING THE GEC#97S FOR A WHILE NOW. I HAVE 7 GEC#97S ON PREORDER. MY MAROON MICARTA AND THE BEAVER TAIL #97 CAME IN THE MAIL. I GOT BAR-B-Q AND FRIED CAT FISH STAINS ON THE MAROON MICARTA KNIFE TODAY. I OWN A 100+ KNIVES. THIS IS A 4 3/4" CLOSED KNIFE. THEY ARE THE SMOOTHEST BIG FOLDERS THAT I OWN. I HOLD THEM BETWEEN MY KNEES AND THEY OPEN RIGHT UP WITHOUT BREAKING MY THUMBNAIL. THE MAROON MICARTA #97 IS A GREAT WORK KNIFE. NOT BUYING THIS KNIFE BECAUSE IT NOT A NORTHFIELD IS INSANE !
971119-Maroon-Linen-Micarta-1.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

The new #97 Autumn Gold jigged bones are being sent out to dealers next week.
778889999004.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Well finally, now maybe we'll get some good Northfields! :D
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Here is my jigged cherry wood handled 97. One of 3 I early reserved. Like this one a lot. They did a very fine job on this wooden handled knife.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5279.jpeg
IMG_5280.jpeg
IMG_5281.jpeg
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

nice little 'review' onearm. The micarta one looks very smooth & elegant, like an athlete in a tux.
kj
Edit to add: The maroon micarta #97 is so 'sharp' that i bought one last evening.
Duffer

Post by Duffer »

The new sabre clip dual pull Northfield 97 in Eboooony!! What do you all think of this variation?
Attachments
6EB7E587-35CE-42B3-A8D5-B752D9F1EADD.jpeg
Lloyd
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Duffer wrote:The new sabre clip dual pull Northfield 97 in Eboooony!! What do you all think of this variation?
Lloyd I think it is an instant classic, a must have . I can't wait for mine to arrive. ::super_happy::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Onearmbladejunkie

Tsar Bomba wrote:I've got a reservation on the smooth yellow rose bone NF (frankly shocked that these reservations are still open regardless of production run length) and I think I'll be checking out the Tidioute jigged bone. The ebony NF is also on my radar, pending shield.

Looking forward to these big hunters.
IMG_7790.jpg
Onearmbladejunkie

Duffer wrote:The new sabre clip dual pull Northfield 97 in Eboooony!! What do you all think of this variation?
I have mine on pre-order, waiting on an email to pay it off. I have two others and the Tidioute bone on the way. These are the smoothest hunter style knives that I have ever held in my only left hand. NO NAIL BREAKING ! I can't wait to test out the double nick knives , not like they are really needed. But they sure look cool.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The Northfield 97 with ebony is one the home page of GEC website. How long before it gets to the dealers ?
kj
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Two GEC's 97 Autumn Gold Jigged Bone & Maroon Linen Micarta :D
Attachments
Autumn Gold & Maroon Micarta
Autumn Gold & Maroon Micarta
Willian H,Ontario Rat, 97 GEC 020.JPG
Willian H,Ontario Rat, 97 GEC 022.JPG
Willian H,Ontario Rat, 97 GEC 025.JPG
Willian H,Ontario Rat, 97 GEC 026.JPG
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

[quote="kootenay joe"]"like an athlete in a tux."
Roland you are not only a knife connoisseur but a wordsmith as well. ::tu:: ::nod:: ::tu::
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kennedy knives wrote:Two GEC's 97 Autumn Gold Jigged Bone & Maroon Linen Micarta :D
Very nice Gary. Seeing the Micarta one is making me think that I might need to pick up one of those also. I have the cherry jigged bone, the autumn gold bone on the way, an early reserve on the Ebony handled, and not sure on the stag. I convinced myself that I wouldn’t like the Micarta, but I was wrong, that’s beautiful.
By the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
kennedy knives wrote:Two GEC's 97 Autumn Gold Jigged Bone & Maroon Linen Micarta :D
Very nice Gary. Seeing the Micarta one is making me think that I might need to pick up one of those also. I have the cherry jigged bone, the autumn gold bone on the way, an early reserve on the Ebony handled, and not sure on the stag. I convinced myself that I wouldn’t like the Micarta, but I was wrong, that’s beautiful.
But the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
SSk
Mark I believe it stands for Pre Production are in other words some of the 1st ones made
Gary
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Thanks Gary, I wasn’t coming up with anything on my own.
Here are two so far that have come in. I am liking the way these look side by side, makes for a pretty picture and display.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5289.jpeg
IMG_5290.jpeg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

They're here! They're here here ::super_happy:: ::super_happy:: just paid for mine at CK.
Attachments
97eb.jpg
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:By the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
Pattern Production Premiere. The first run (usually the Tidioutes since the Northfields come later) for a brand new pattern number. The Tidioutes of the recent #44 run were all etched "PPP" too.

I broke down and now there are a jigged cherrywood Tidioute and an ebony Northfield en route.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I too received notification from CK that the ebony Northfield 97 is inbound (to CK) and so i too paid for it.
kj
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

4A469AB9-964F-4C68-9589-809E6A4356B8.jpeg
:shock: Those are some fat slabs!
7E605BF2-558C-4B3C-9076-260055C667BB.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Tsar Bomba wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:By the way, what does the circle w/ the 3 P’s stand for?
Pattern Production Premiere. The first run (usually the Tidioutes since the Northfields come later) for a brand new pattern number. The Tidioutes of the recent #44 run were all etched "PPP" too.

I broke down and now there are a jigged cherrywood Tidioute and an ebony Northfield en route.
You won’t be disappointed with the cherrywood jigged. It’s as nice as any I have.
Ebony on it’s way. I hope I can get one of those stags.
SSk

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”