To all members.......

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
knife7knut

To all members.......

Post by knife7knut »

This is not a political discussion but merely a warning to those of us who like knives. As most of you know I have been collecting knives for over 60 years now and do not sell them anywhere.
Recently I had posted a thread on a knife site on Face Book about some knives of a specific style similar to one I did on here. I have posted on this site many times with no problems and was shocked when I got a notice saying the post had been rejected due to the content contrary to Face Books ,"standards & practices". When I read further it stated that posts that advertised weapons and ammunition of any type were prohibited. I found out that for some reason the for sale option had been activated which was what brought down the,"Wraith of Zuckerberg" on me.
Not being very computer-literate I finally managed to disable the for sale feature and the post went through. All's well that ends well I thought.
Well it turns out it hasn't ended. I was on there today and went to reply to a schoolmate's post about HIS problems with posting and it wouldn't let me respond. Later on I couldn't even log on to the site and when I finally did get on I could only look at about 5 or 6 posts and that was it.
So I decided to post a rebuff on my time line and guess what? I get a notice saying:"OOPS We're having trouble posting this and will try and fix it as soon as possible." I went in and mollified my language somewhat and it STILL wouldn't go through;so I guess my days of posting there are over.
One of the moderators of the forum has a warning posted about this at the beginning of the site and I am just passing this on to members here. If this post is not appropriate please delete it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
eveled

Re: To all members.......

Post by eveled »

It’s been on the news that lots of people are having issues with social media sites today.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

I think social media like Facebook is overrated. I just don't see putting personal business out for the world to see. I wouldn't do it. No offence.
KleenCut61

Post by KleenCut61 »

I Received a Notice Facebook and Instagram were" DOWN" Around 2PM This Afternoon, May have just been Bad Timing .. K.C.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

What’s Facebook? :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:What’s Facebook? :lol:

Ken
I don't know, but it can't be as good as aapk. :D
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

And it's not political at all. Millions (regardless of political affilation) hate Facebook (myself included) and can't wait to see them burn.

How can a company with no easily discernible products and services make money? By selling your own personal information--that's how.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:
Mumbleypeg wrote:What’s Facebook? :lol:

Ken
I don't know, but it can't be as good as aapk. :D
Agreed.
Twhite

Post by Twhite »

I do no social media. They are all geared to track everything you do. It will end up in all sorts of people’s hands including the government. Not a good thing in my opinion.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Facebook has been in the Canadian news. We have a Federal election coming up in October of this year and the Cdn. government is wanting Facebook to find and remove posts aimed at manipulating voters. I think FB might be taking down easy targets (nothing to do with voters or politics) so they can say "Look we took down xxxx number of posts this month".
kj
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

I'm the only one in my office that doesn't do facebook. Don't much care for the owner ...
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

My wife tells folks, AAPK is "facebook" for old men who like knives! ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

No Facebook for me either. Aapk is the sum total of my social media.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

treefarmer wrote:My wife tells folks, AAPK is "facebook" for old men who like knives! ::nod::
Treefarmer
Ha! And at least one oldish lady ;)
I do quite a bit of FB but I seldom put up a post of my own. I ‘like’ friends comments and comment on their posts, but I don’t like the drama.
What I do like abt FB is that it gives me the opportunity to stay in touch with friends and family that I don’t see very often. I try to keep my friends list down to people I’ve actually known, even if it was years ago. It’s great for keeping up with the music circle too. I can see friends videos and get info on who’s playing around town.
I think FB can be ok, depending on how you use it and who you present yourself as when you’re posting.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

I'm gonna tell y'all sumthin'....

If you want to get in a FIGHT real QUICK.... just get out there on (non) social media and say ANYTHING about guns, knives, politics, religion, SPORTS or most ANYTHING..... SOMEBODY is NOT gonna like it!

To me... social media has turned into a place to go start a disagreement.
I joined back in the day when you could find those old "school chums" you haven't seen in decades but now..... it's a HUGE mess.

Facebook came straight from the devil.....
Go to h-e-double hockey sticks facebook... back to where you came from.

NO, I don't like facebook.....

Mike
:x
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

AAPK is as close as I get to face book. ::woot::
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Colonel26 wrote:No Facebook for me either. Aapk is the sum total of my social media.

AAPK is a bunch of like minded good folks who can all get along with each other....

face(less)book is just a useless free-for-all where people can gather and bicker with each other.....

HARUMPH.....
::td:: ::td::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Well it appears that I have opened a family-sized can of worms with this post. I originally joined Facebook with the idea of keeping in touch with a number of friends and fellow artists who are scattered around the country and the world. I also realized that I could find out about classmates;some of which I hadn't seen or talked with in nearly a half century.
I also found out there were several sites dedicated to knives as well and occasionally recognize posts from people who are also on AAPK.
I try very hard to stay away from political posts and that can be a challenge in itself. The political climate I notice has been changing(and sadly not for the better)and it shows very much on Facebook. I guess I will continue there but for how much longer I cannot say. Sorry if I offended anyone with this post and I would suggest that the moderators remove it forthwith.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Here is a facebook example for ya'....

My wife was on facebook a couple of weeks ago....

My wife and HER sister's daughter-in-law got into a political bicker....
Yes.... family members that see each other regularly at family gatherings got into a tiff over politics.

NOW... they aren't speaking to each other.....

See what facebook is good for?

::td::
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Here is a facebook example for ya'....

Yes.... family members that see each other regularly at family gatherings got into a tiff over politics.

Sounds like one of the family gatherings we had when I was married to my first wife. I remember one ended with my brother-in-law jumping into his car and tearing up the front lawn going sideways out of the driveway. A few of them ended with the police being called. We didn't need no stinkin' Facebook! :mrgreen:
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

As my three children reside in two different states, neither one of which states is my place of residence, facebook is the best way to know what is going on in their lives. If it wasn't for the kids I would have never bothered to start texting either. As the kids have gotten older their posts have become less frequent and we text quite often. Interesting thing, when my 83 year old mother got a phone with a slide out keyboard I taught her to text. Texting is now mom's preferred communication method as she can get straight to the point without a lot of chit chat as holding a phone up to her ear causes arm and shoulder pain.

I rarely post on fb or Instagram but occasionally find interesting things there.
Trace
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Meridian_Mike wrote:Here is a facebook example for ya'....

I started teaching high school right before Facebook became a thing. Then Facebook came along, and brought its offshoots like Snapchat, Twitter, and instagram. I can tell you 100% for sure that the kids got along better, worked harder, and had better outlooks on life before all the social media.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

Ray,

I wouldn't have the moderators clone or delete this thread, it's a valid discussion. Plus, I don't think anyone is any more angry at facebook than they were before you posted it.

I see Facebook as a sometimes necessary evil. I don't like it for the reasons mentioned before about religion and politics. Wanna have some fun, just toss in a post about Trump and see what comes out of the woodwork. People lose their minds (on both sides).

There are some decent knife groups, but none as valuable and friendly as AAPK. ::tu::
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

The primary reason I am on facebook at all is because so many of the groups and organizations I belong to or are interested in have all shifted to facebook. The primary reasons are reduced cost (no web site fees, no website programmers to pay, no newsletters to mail out), reduced complexity (no mailing lists or email lists to maintain), faster dissemination of information and feedback to info and questions posed, easier recruitment if the groups are "open" so that friends can see what else you are interested in and may follow suit.

If facebook ever goes 100% full bore anti-gun or anti-knife, most of the groups I'm in will be screwed - I'm in gun groups, knife making/throwing/collecting groups, etc.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”