Carving a face

A place for whittlers and wood carvers. Everything from Beginner to expert topics welcome. Stop by and show off your work or check out the wonderful creations made by fellow members.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Carving a face

Post by doglegg »

Some of you fellows sure make it look easy but when I try I know it isn't. Kudo's to you. My attempt at carving a face. Next time I will know not to use the face in the mirror.
DSCN5403.JPG
Steve Warden

Re: Carving a face

Post by Steve Warden »

Pretty good! Better than I can do ::nod::
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mountain Man Knives

Post by Mountain Man Knives »

Did you see the Video I shared on Carving by Doug Outdoors - He says he makes carving even Bass Wood "LOOK" Easy but says it is still pretty tough stuff and a Really Sharp Knife is KEY - "In the Mirror" ~ Here's Doug's a Link to Doug's Page, a large assortment of all kinds of Projects - If Interested ~ Nice Job on the Portrait ~ MMK

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-eOXK ... ewivwNxYKQ

P.S. Not Laughing at You Doglegg, but with You ~ It actually reminds me of a Friend I Know - he looks just like it ~ Nice Job

First Carving I ever did was a KNIGHT in ARMOR ~ Recently a Bear, I've always liked Bear Carvings - One of my Favorite Books I've ever Read was Called "JOSHUA" ~ "A Parable for Today" ~ by Joseph Girzone - Joshua was a Simple Wood Carver of Birds and Toys and He Carved a life SIZE Moses and Peter in the Story ~ God Bless

P.S.S ~ I didn't care to much for the eMoji ~ take care my Friend
Doc B

Post by Doc B »

My hat is "off to you"!!! Anyone that can carve anything...with only a pocket knife, has my admiration. Is that basswood? My one attempt with basswood made me realize...it isn't that soft...I ended up using other carvers and drills (I cheated). ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks for the encouragement Steve and Doc. Yes it is bass wood. And a sharp knife is usually my down fall.
Mountain Man I appreciate your humor. And thanks for the video suggestion. I will give it a look. ::handshake::
Delmar Morgan

Post by Delmar Morgan »

Practice makes perfect. I wish I could find the little bowie knife my dad whittled out for me when I was about 5 years old. Due to moving several times it got lost.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Delmar Morgan wrote:Practice makes perfect. I wish I could find the little bowie knife my dad whittled out for me when I was about 5 years old. Due to moving several times it got lost.
If it ever shows up be sure and share a pic with us.
Doug51

Post by Doug51 »

I'm right there with you doglegg. A face is something I struggle with. I always skip eyes because haven't figured them out and ears and a mouth to. Doesn't leave much to make a face that way!:-)
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Doug51 wrote:I'm right there with you doglegg. A face is something I struggle with. I always skip eyes because haven't figured them out and ears and a mouth to. Doesn't leave much to make a face that way!:-)
I'm with you Doug. outside of eyes, ears and mouth my only problem seems to be nose. Oh well it's for me and no one else so I keep plugging. Thanks. ::handshake::
Maddogfl

Post by Maddogfl »

That is pretty good work! When I was a young man, I used to hang out in some bars where occasional face carving went on.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I try to avoid that kind of face carving.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

you may want to buy the cast study sticks. Look at these.
Attachments
rob and jackie 006.jpg
080.JPG
081.JPG
Steve Warden

Post by Steve Warden »

mrwatch wrote:you may want to buy the cast study sticks. Look at these.
That's assuming one has an artistic talent. I don't have a lick.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

I didn't know I had much art ability. Can't draw a straight line. When I joined the seniors center in 2,000 they had a water colors painting class. Then got with a couple of guy's to go too a ladies house for any media painting lessons. learned to do oils and acrylics on canvas. She said you need to learn to draw before you can paint. Bought a very good set of drawing pencils and paper. Then a lady offered a drawing class in the evening doing pencils and charcoals. She had her son model for charcoal and even brought a bunch of purses. In other words lean to draw every thing you see. learn to scale distance using buildings, and the hard to figure vanishing point. Carving in the round has been a challenge for me.
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

Check out these study sticks. Not sure if still made?

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1AO ... 40&bih=785
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Thanks for the encouraging words. ::handshake::
MrW, it surprises me that you didn't start painting until late in life. Your work doesn't look like that. And your carving is just exceptional. I shall apply myself to a study stick and see if there might be some improvement. Thank you. ::handshake::
redferd

Post by redferd »

For me , carving a face is difficult. I can do hands and feet ok but the face is really difficult. :( ::dang::
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

The only thing I can carve is a point on a stick, can't draw either.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

redferd wrote:For me , carving a face is difficult. I can do hands and feet ok but the face is really difficult. :( ::dang::
redferd, I'm not very good on hands and fee either. I usually stick to puzzles and the like. ::handshake::
Can't draw either samb. Sometimes I can get the stick sharp. ::handshake::

Return to “Whittling And Wood Carving”