What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
m0nk

Re: What Knife Would You Like GEC To Make ?

Post by m0nk »

Good pics and good info guys, thanks. I wonder if GEC is going to do another run of 15s this year? The last run of Beer Scouts was in 2016. We could only be so lucky to get a run of Beer Scouts, or Soda Scouts, or even Crown Lifters in 2019. Any of those with a classic GEC straight clip blade would be amazing.

This thread has sure brought out a lot of wishes for 2019!

-Lee
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

Ajd3530 wrote:I personally would love to see the #35 pattern in a stockman configuration, preferably in stainless.

Also think a #14 flipped around version (like the #79 is of the #78) in a single spring, opposite end pen knife would be really neat.
Ok. Go ahead and give me a Moose on the #35 frame as well. And a single bladed jack with a spear while your at it. Both in Northfield trim. Please and thank you.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

An 81 Abilene, ebony scales with the Templar trim set into the wood. I mean they inset the shields why not at least partially inset the Templar bolsters. Stainless steel blades would really top it off.

I don't think it will ever happen, but a boy can dream can't he...
Trace
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Have they ever done a Camp or Scout knife? I think that would br fantastic. I have been wanting one of these, so a GEC could be my first.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

boykinlp wrote:Have they ever done a Camp or Scout knife? I think that would br fantastic. I have been wanting one of these, so a GEC could be my first.
Larry
GEC Texas Camp Knife
GEC Texas Camp Knife
Trace
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Rotten wrote:
boykinlp wrote:Have they ever done a Camp or Scout knife? I think that would br fantastic. I have been wanting one of these, so a GEC could be my first.
Larry
981416-Antique-Autumn-Jig-Bone-f-1.jpg
You will need good luck to find one that's available and then several dollars to acquire it :) These are hard to come by and who knows if and when they will be produced again.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Rotten wrote:
Larry
Thanks, I'll take one in stag or Ebony. :) How much did they cost in 2016?
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

boykinlp wrote:
Rotten wrote:
Larry
Thanks, I'll take one in stag or Ebony. :) How much did they cost in 2016?
Don't know 2016 price, but there were no stag or ebony. There was a king wood, smooth bone and several jigged bone variants. Best of luck finding one.
Trace
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

boykinlp wrote:[ How much did they cost in 2016?
My recollection is fuzzy because the 98 was also introduced in a Cattle and Whittler variation in addition to the Camp knife. I can't recall if the Camp knife was made in Micarta or not, but assuming it was then the lowest price would have been around $150 and the highest price around $200. The original KSF price for the white bone camp knife pictured below was approximately $170 if I recall correctly. Asking prices are typically $300 or more on the secondary market whenever they show up. The Charlie Campagna SFO versions are even higher.
Attachments
GEC 98 Texas Camp #3 small.jpg
GEC 98 Texas Whttler #3 no background small.jpg
GEC 98 Texas Cattle #3 no background small.jpg
Campagna SFO
Campagna SFO
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Larry
Larry, a #35 Camp Knife would be perfect. Just too obvious to ignore forever so I think GEC should do one eventually. It would probably be more affordable and pocketable than the 98 as well. I say that not having one, meanwhile Roland has posted pics of his 98 camp knife and has reported carrying and using his often. But yes, a camp/scout knife is very useful. If you don't have an example of a camp/scout knife, I highly recommend you go online immediately and get yourself either a Vic Pioneer or Electrician, or a Colonial military/scout knife. Those are abundant, nicely made, affordable at around $42, and rugged. Because we could be waiting a long time for another GEC camp knife, and you shouldn't miss out on another day without the utility of a camp knife. ::tu::

- Lee
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Jerry, are those 4 #98 pattern knives yours ? If so you had a lot of foresight to get them when they first came out. The bone handled ones are hard to find now.
Yes i love my Texas Camp Knife but i carry it in a belt sheath, not free in my pocket. I like carrying in a belt sheath anyway, not just this #98.
kj
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Thanks Jerry and Lee for the info. :D
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I want Great Eastern Cutlery to make a #97 swing-guard lock knife Northfield sabre clip blade. I want to see more knives in Oily Creek bone , Blueberry jigged bone , and Autumn Leaf bone. Schatt & Morgan made a humpback lock whittler. That would make a great GEC knife.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I'd like to see GEC make a limited run of serialized big knives(sunfish, whalers, big coke bottles, or #23 pioneers) with mammoth ivory handles. Maybe with engraved bolsters, fluted handles, etc.
I would be happy to pay $600, $700, $800 or maybe even more for one of those.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

When folks are getting $600, $700, even $800 on eBay for short-run wood or bone Whalers already, there's probably not a lot of impetus for GEC to run more with very exotic handles using machining they probably thought they could retire forever. ::disgust::

Wish they would anyway, though. ::paranoid:: ::smirk::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've been accumulating the Tuna Valley mammoth handle knives. I'm crazy about mammoth ivory. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a pair of GEC mammoth handle sunfish knives.
One is interior mammoth and the other is exterior mammoth.
They are beauties.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Stephen have you posted pictures of your 2 mammoth sunfish knives ? If you have can you please post a link. If no pictures posted then how about posting here ? I think they are a #36 pattern and we all would really like to see them.
kj
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Kj:
I just updated the message with the photos originally posted by Big Monk in 2011.
rjrsky

Post by rjrsky »

I would like them to remake 570311.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Stephen wrote:I've been accumulating the Tuna Valley mammoth handle knives. I'm crazy about mammoth ivory. About 7 or 8 years ago I bought a pair of GEC mammoth handle sunfish knives.
One is interior mammoth and the other is exterior mammoth.
They are beauties.
Does the interior mammoth have more of a white color that looks closer to elephant?
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

The new GEC#29 release will happen later this year. I hope that AAPK will order this for our 2019 AAPK club member Northfield #29 knife. I hope AAPK orders a rare popular color like smooth Oily Creek bone , Blueberry jigged bone , Autumn Leaf bone , or Tiger Maple Wood !!!!
291319-TIDIOUTE-NORTHFIELD-768x594.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

That punch whittler will probably retail well over $100 and that might prevent an SFO from AAPK, but I for one would be willing to pay for it (in advance if need be) - and still try for a sure thing reservation from dealers when they are offered. :mrgreen:
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Piling on to comments about the #29 - of the patterns publicized for 2019 this is the one I am anticipating the most. My hopes for handles are yellow rose and a classic bone jig such as peach seed. Giraffe would be nice, but seems highly unlikely unless Northwoods is getting a SFO from this frame.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Me too! :wink:
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "I just updated the message with the photos originally posted by Big Monk in 2011."
Stephen i am not seeing the pictures. Did you post them in this thread ?
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”