GEC # 97

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
kootenay joe

GEC # 97

Post by kootenay joe »

The GEC website is showing a new pattern, # 97 the "Alleghany", a 4 3/4" Swell Center Hunter. The Tidioute have a full flat blade grind and the Northfield have a full saber grind.
I just put in a reserve for one knife at CK. I am limiting myself to one so i had to choose. The stag Northfields are already closed.
If you might like one of these knives the time to reserve is now.
A note to those who are new: you do not have to reserve to get one. You can ask dealers to send you an email stating date & time the #97 will go on sale and then be at that site the exact minute the knives show up, grab one and pay as fast as you can. Sometimes all are sold within 5 minutes.
What do you guys think about this knife ?
kj
Attachments
976-971.jpg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC # 97

Post by gsmith7158 »

I am very excited about it Roland! I've seen enough of these 15, 14 and 06 gumball knives. Give me a big meaty one. I've got 3 Northfields reserved. :D
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by robbobus »

Very nice looking, classic pattern. They are making alot of these, I predict below retail prices on the secondary.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I've got a reservation on the smooth yellow rose bone NF (frankly shocked that these reservations are still open regardless of production run length) and I think I'll be checking out the Tidioute jigged bone. The ebony NF is also on my radar, pending shield.

Looking forward to these big hunters.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

Aside from Stag, I don't believe anyone will have any trouble getting a #97, or even a #97 in every cover. They are planning on the run totaling 5000-5500 pieces (potential Northwoods run not withstanding.)

They made ~3550 #44s, and they are still readily available at many GEC dealers, 7 months after the fact. I have a feeling we'll be seeing #97s (especially the maroon micarta) in stock online for a long, long while.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

Any idea as to pricing yet?
Trace
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

Oh yeah, and I have an autumn jigged bone and Texas rose on reserve. And if they decide to do some of the Northfield ebonys with a satin blade, I'll almost certainly pick one of those up as well.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Ajd3530 wrote:Aside from Stag, I don't believe anyone will have any trouble getting a #97, or even a #97 in every cover. They are planning on the run totaling 5000-5500 pieces (potential Northwoods run not withstanding.)

They made ~3550 #44s, and they are still readily available at many GEC dealers, 7 months after the fact. I have a feeling we'll be seeing #97s (especially the maroon micarta) in stock online for a long, long while.

I am glad to know that about how big the run is. I have been reserved for about 2 months now and couldn’t figure out how the early reserves were still open. I have 2 reserved and one notify. I didn’t get in on the stag. It was closed too quickly and they were a lot more sketchy about the details. Saying that it might not be stag if they can’t get good enough stag at a decent price.
No prices were posted w/ this that I can see.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Like the looks of the Northfield. Not sure yet If I'll get one or not. Like Greg I'm really tired of the little Jack knives. I'm more excited about the 29 if it makes it into production.
David
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Quote: "They are planning on the run totaling 5000-5500 pieces"
I hope this is not the beginning of a decline in the high fit & finish standards we have seen in pretty well every knife made in the last 2-3 years.
I would much rather have difficulty getting a new release than have them plentiful but some having 'issues'.
kj
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "They are planning on the run totaling 5000-5500 pieces"
I hope this is not the beginning of a decline in the high fit & finish standards we have seen in pretty well every knife made in the last 2-3 years.
I would much rather have difficulty getting a new release than have them plentiful but some having 'issues'.
kj
That is a concern of mine as well.
David
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
Ajd3530 wrote:Aside from Stag, I don't believe anyone will have any trouble getting a #97, or even a #97 in every cover. They are planning on the run totaling 5000-5500 pieces (potential Northwoods run not withstanding.)

I didn’t get in on the stag. It was closed too quickly and they were a lot more sketchy about the details. Saying that it might not be stag if they can’t get good enough stag at a decent price.
SSk
Where did the 5000-5500 numbers come from? Also, should we worry that no stag is being shown in the pictures already? I hope they find the needed stag! Thanks.
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Ajd3530

Post by Ajd3530 »

boykinlp wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:

I didn’t get in on the stag. It was closed too quickly and they were a lot more sketchy about the details. Saying that it might not be stag if they can’t get good enough stag at a decent price.
SSk
Where did the 5000-5500 numbers come from? Also, should we worry that no stag is being shown in the pictures already? I hope they find the needed stag! Thanks.
Larry
The number came from Bill Howard, via Mike Latham @ CK.

As for the stag, I don't know. Last I heard, which was months ago, they were worried they weren't going to be able to source a large enough batch of GOOD stag that was large enough to fit the#97s. That's why reserves for stag were standby from the get go. I don't know anything else for certain beyond that pertaining to the stag.
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I pre-ordered 6 GEC #97 knives from CollectorKnives. And I sent a $160 money order to buy the O.K.C.A for the 2019 Club knife with beaver shield. (April 15th) I just paid for the GEC #97 Maroon micarta knife. ($104.15 shipped) I never bought a micarta handle knife before. This one is killer. I hope to end up with 7 GEC# 97 knives. I am real excited. I have one arm. I open my folders with my feet and a Case XX blade pick. Most GEC knives open like butter for me.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Quote: "They are planning on the run totaling 5000-5500 pieces"
kj
I don't know if we have to worry about that, the 44's were a large run, I bought 7 and everyone of them was top notch in quality. Not positive but I think the reason for the larger runs is that dealers were requesting large enough runs so that they could have a few knives in stock. The main negative I could see from the large runs is we will have less variety of patterns each year.
I've got a reserve in for very 97 with natural handle materials, hope they find stag.
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

I just got my early reserve alert from Collector Knives for the maroon linen micarta. Just over $100. They look pretty sweet. I think I recall spotting on the GEC What’s Happening page a little handwritten note next to a pile of shapes micarta covers that said 800 pieces. So hopefully plenty to go around. Can’t wait to see some pics over here!
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

HighPlains wrote:I just got my early reserve alert from Collector Knives for the maroon linen micarta. Just over $100. They look pretty sweet. I think I recall spotting on the GEC What’s Happening page a little handwritten note next to a pile of shapes micarta covers that said 800 pieces. So hopefully plenty to go around. Can’t wait to see some pics over here!
Welcome HighPlains. That’s encouraging. I have 2 97’s on early reserve, none in Micarta. Now I’m hoping to get the ones I have reserved come along soon. YEAH!
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

800 handle pieces = 400 knives ?
kj
Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

Great%20Eastern%202019%20drawing.jpg
I order the Oregon Knife Collectors Association knife . I had to send in a $160 money order. I think I got the last one by the skin of my teeth. To be shipped after April 15th , I am very excited.
HighPlains

Post by HighPlains »

I think the Northfields with saber grind and both nick and long pull should look great.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

oabj, Great looking knife ! Please post pictures when you have it.
kj
ozzie marie

Post by ozzie marie »

Anyone get one of these 97's in your hands yet, and what do you think about it?

Keith
Loyalty and Respect are not purchased and owned for a lifetime, they are earned everyday.

Please visit my store at:
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ozziemarie
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

The maroon linen MIcarta knives that are available do not have the two pulls, just has the long one in the picture above. Does anyone know if they are all being made w/ just one pull? Also the maroon ones do not look to be sabre ground. Did I misread something about these?
SSk
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:The maroon linen MIcarta knives that are available do not have the two pulls, just has the long one in the picture above. Does anyone know if they are all being made w/ just one pull? Also the maroon ones do not look to be sabre ground. Did I misread something about these?
SSk
The first releases are the Tidioutes Mark. The ones with the double pull and the sabre ground blades will be the Northfields.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Does anyone know when the Northfield 97's will arrive at the dealers ?
kj

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”