P O S Roundtable 2019

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
thestretch71
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: P O S Roundtable 2019

Post by thestretch71 »

Ann (zoogirl)
My POS package has arrived from Canada & all I can say is WHOOPEE.
Cushion , that is.... as one was graciously include in the group.

Another nice bonus was the provided Air Freshener. Well almost nice.
I was dumb enough to open it. Now my Office smells like Canada.
Salmon Candy, Cheese Curds & Maple syrup is an awful combination. ::undecided::

Ann also wrote me a thoughtful note, Which after squinting at it several times I realized it was actually a poem.
I should have caught on sooner but my Poetry skills are mostly limited to dirty Limericks.

Here is a reprint of her elegant Elegy...

These Knives were once made Strong & True
But that was long ago
Now they more resemble what
my cat leaves in the snow !
A little Richards, gleaming bright lies hid amid the poo
So when you ask "Who sent this pile?"
Then you'll know it was 'Zoo'

It was nice that you wrapped them in the light sandpaper. I was able to cleanup the tang stamps
right away & reveal there are 2 IXL George Wostenholm Sheffield Knives & a neat German import
from Premier.
The Richards is beautiful skinned in it's Root Beer swirl.

It will be interesting to do a bit of research on these knife makers. I do, on occasion come
across other Sheffield brands and a few German ones too, but these are not immediately familiar to me.

Oh... I see the Postscript now -
You are claiming that was TP.
Really ? Please then tell us all what the actual brand is. I would never want to accidentally purchase that for real TP duty, er Doody,
Oh Hell
The Poutine smell is really making me lightheaded.

Much Thanks

Ken
Attachments
zg7.jpg
zg2.jpg
zg1.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Love the Whoopee Cushion. What a great idea.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Hey Steve......
Did you get your box of...... sh... uff that I sent?

Or did the dog gone mail service mess on me?

AND... If you got it.... I'm sorry.

Mike
::shrug::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Sharpcutsbest

Post by Sharpcutsbest »

Eustice, got your package in yesterday's mail. Delivered after dark, which is unusual, by a postman I'd not seen before, who had me sign for it before he gave it to me. Very peculiar! I reckon they'll have someone to blame later. Me!
I opened it and started to take out items and realized someone put some care and thought packing it. So today I took photos taking out the items.
I've never posted pictures before or photographed knives. These were taken in full sun.
I've not photographed all of the contents yet because I wanted to see if I did it good enough. No point in boring every one with bad pictures.
Can't cipher out how to post them. I've seen the instructions before just don't remember where. Old age bites!
I'll search and hopefully post them later. Gotta run!
Thanks, Eustice!
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Click here for image posting instructions.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Hey Sharpy!
What i do to post pics on here and elsewhere,
Open the folder on your phone/computer where you save your pics,
Blow it down to small size.
Open aapk.
Go open your post reply.
You should see the pics folder you opened on your taskbar.
Click that icon.
Make sure that page is smaller than the aapk page.
Click the pic you want to post.
Drag that pic to over where you post writing on aapk.
Drop that photo here.
You should then see it loading in attachments. If you roll down a bit on aapk.
You can only load 10 pics at a time.
If you have a big post then save draft so it doesn't go blewey.
Hope that helps.
Willy
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Having received a package from our good Hawaiian friend Q with forewarnings from the POS Roundtable, I found myself somewhat apprehensive late last week as I headed into a long weekend of scheduled work and the exhausting but inevitable fallout in this work week. I left the parcel in a closed Rubbermaid airtight tote with about 4 car air freshener trees and a leaky can of Lysol. Even after taking such painstaking measures, I decided to lay down a new strip of plastic sheeting and grab some rubber gloves before opening up my POSes.

I may have overreacted. ::paranoid:: ::smirk::

First up was a knife in a sheath marked "Walther." I immediately perked up a little and freed the contents from the sheath to discover...a fat little wood mini-trapper with extra-thick saber-ground blades and tarnished brass bolsters. Aside from "Surgical Steel" on the master, the blades are unstamped and I rapidly concluded that it wasn't actually a Walther trapper of any kind, a supposition confirmed by an etch on the spey blade indicating that this was one of Paki Stan's finest. The "mystery stainless" blades are tight and the spey in particular is fairly sharp, but I think I'll find more use for the sheath in the long run since a Case mini-trapper fits into it perfectly. :mrgreen:

Next was a small knife in a clear bag. The first thing I noticed was the telltale Bear & Son shield and the lovely curly maple handles, and my smile was back. I fished out a serialized Bear Trap serrated spey mini-mini-trapper, #10, and I realized that this is neither the first example nor the lowest serial # of this very knife that I've received - #5 is in its factory box in my pile. This one has SO much nicer handles, though. The knife is mechanically excellent, one of the better ones I've held from Bear. I'm thinking they may have run multiple variations with different kinds of wood (my other one is a lot darker and grainier), but I haven't researched it yet. Regardless, this toothy little cutter is riding the watch pocket first thing in the AM.

Last to come out was a white 2 piece box marked "Silver Select," which turns out to be from Rough Rider (before they stuck a "y" into the brand name). Inside was a full-sized trapper that reminded me of some Yellowhorse mods I've seen, with what I think are pearl inlays bordered by some fancy-looking translucent red material with nickel-steel (?) accents. The Rough Rider brand seems to be improving year after year - this knife walks and talks, has nicely-centered blades, and snaps satisfyingly when closing. It is a fine-looking trapper.

So after all that there was really only one POS in the mix, and even that came in a nice sturdy sheath that will serve my good mini-trappers well. The Bear was a super pleasant surprise and the RR won't make me ashamed of toting a Pacific Rim knife. Thanks, Q, you outdid yourself! ::handshake::

Oh, and Q: I might be a "Barlowist" (good word for it) but I've never been shy about carrying a trapper. :lol: ::tu::
Attachments
2019-02-26_08-41-24.jpg
2019-02-26_09-28-16.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Zoogirl,Ann,according to tracking your package has cleared customs and has made it across the border.You should get it soon.
Roger
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

thestretch71 wrote:Ann (zoogirl)
My POS package has arrived from Canada & all I can say is WHOOPEE.
Cushion , that is.... as one was graciously include in the group.

Another nice bonus was the provided Air Freshener. Well almost nice.
I was dumb enough to open it. Now my Office smells like Canada.
Salmon Candy, Cheese Curds & Maple syrup is an awful combination. ::undecided::
You’re lucky I found an old air freshener. You won’t believe what Canada has smelled like since October 17! ::paranoid:: :mrgreen:

I glad you liked ‘em! The Richards are kinda what I’m known for. I have quite the family in the Root Beer, including the twin to yours.

You should keep the poem. I am, ahem, published! (Oh ok, so it was a newspaper contest and a couple of local coffee shop booklets, but still...!). That handwritten, um, piece, might be your retirement fund!

Thé TP is the real deal, in all its single ply glory. It comes in a big cardboard box and the rolls are about a foot wide. Sort of frightening to see a whole bunch together in the box, lurking...probably plotting...
I do not want to know what it’s made of. I suspect fingernail clippings and recycled pottery.

Thé IXL’s and Premier did start life, a very long time ago, as quite respectable knives. Unfortunately time, grindstones and whatever loosened up the Premier, happened. They are the formerly respectable old rummies of the knife world. ::tear:: Give them a good retirement.
Or burial out back, by the dark of the moon.
Whichever!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

peanut740 wrote:Zoogirl,Ann,according to tracking your package has cleared customs and has made it across the border.You should get it soon.
Yay!!!
I think.
::paranoid::
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Got mine yesterday, thanks Steve and yep my POS pile just got bigger!! I love the Schrade cigar box!!

I enjoyed this completely especially the comments you guys crack me up. Now i have to go and try and make peace with my postal carrier who says the stuff left a really bad smell in her truck ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
Attachments
IMG_1192.jpg
IMG_1193.jpg
richard

Post by richard »

the swell end .m.o.p looks ok . what make is it?
Scale Military

Post by Scale Military »

Sweeet! Boy, I wonder what I'm going to get. If I got anything close to what's being shoveled out I'd be quite happy! ::tu::
William C. Westmoreland "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."
George S. Patton Jr. "Live for something rather than die for nothing."
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

richard wrote:the swell end .m.o.p looks ok . what make is it?
I don’t think that’s MOP. Looks more like mother-of-toilet-seat. ::sotb::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

Scale Military yours has been held up at the Canadian border over a week, my guess is the fumes have caused the bldg to be evacuated and fumigated before they can keep shipping the package. Hopefully no one was hospitalized
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Scale Military

Post by Scale Military »

I hope there wasn't anything prohibited that will cause the pileup. Don't want to see what's happened there.
William C. Westmoreland "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."
George S. Patton Jr. "Live for something rather than die for nothing."
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Sharpcutsbest wrote:Eustice, got your package in yesterday's mail. Delivered after dark, which is unusual, by a postman I'd not seen before, who had me sign for it before he gave it to me. Very peculiar! I reckon they'll have someone to blame later. Me!
I opened it and started to take out items and realized someone put some care and thought packing it. So today I took photos taking out the items.
I've never posted pictures before or photographed knives. These were taken in full sun.
I've not photographed all of the contents yet because I wanted to see if I did it good enough. No point in boring every one with bad pictures.
Can't cipher out how to post them. I've seen the instructions before just don't remember where. Old age bites!
Thanks, Eustice!
Welcome!
Don't forget to wear the martenitsa I sent you tomorrow - 1st of March.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Eustace wrote:
Sharpcutsbest wrote:Eustice, got your package in yesterday's mail. Delivered after dark, which is unusual, by a postman I'd not seen before, who had me sign for it before he gave it to me. Very peculiar! I reckon they'll have someone to blame later. Me!
Thanks, Eustice!
Welcome!
Don't forget to wear the martenitsa I sent you tomorrow - 1st of March.
Now you really have me wanting to see the pic's. Martenitsa????
I've already seen several trees bloom but no storks, does that mean I don't get to wear one?
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

doglegg wrote: Now you really have me wanting to see the pic's. Martenitsa????
I've already seen several trees bloom but no storks, does that mean I don't get to wear one?
Any kind of migratory bird is gonna work. :D
This is a very ancient Bulgarian custom. There are only hypotheses and legends about its true meaning. This is a symbolic sacrifice for the end of the winter. The colors red and white can be interpreted in many ways, but the main and the old one is clear. Blood on the snow.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

Sorry all my IPad had crashed just got a new one and everything restored. So I will get my package in the mail today for Bladebuddy. So sorry about the delay! I will send you tracking shortly Bladebuddy.
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
bladebuddy

Post by bladebuddy »

Drukai, I knew there had to be a reason we hadn’t heard from you. I’ll be watching for my smelly box now.

Thanks Steve B.
Steve B.
Keep your edge sharp, otherwise you just can't cut it.

Looking for Carrier Cutlery and early Robeson with Elmira tang stamps.
Drukai

Post by Drukai »

steve99f wrote:Drukai:

Its headed your way, stand back, use gloves. You've been warned. :D
Steve thanks for the super Awesome smelly package! Sorry about the delayed response my IPad crashed. That butterfly balisong is quite fun..I hope she dnt fall apart when I'm swinging it around doing sweet tricks ::ds:: I absouletly love the small Kutmaster knife have been carrying it in my watch pocket! Thanks again Steve much appreciated. Will put some pics up when I get a chance :lol:
"I don't think you can ever do your best. Doing your best is a process of trying to do your best". Townes Van Zandt

In search of GEC 15 Farm Boy knife user or new(My Grail)
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

No worries drukai, happy to know they landed somewhere else. :D
steve99f
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Waiting... ::pace::
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

:lol: :lol: :lol: Ann, you are a true AAPK'er.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “General Knife Discussion”