GEC 21 Bull Buster

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

GEC 21 Bull Buster

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

Anyone buying the Bull Busters? KSF and Traditionalpocketknives both have them.
I am resisting buying one.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: GEC 21 Bull Buster

Post by DM11 »

I have a black linen micrata one underway. Should be here Tuesday. Going to order a OD green one when they hit the dealer shelves. I been waiting on these for a while.
David
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

DM11 wrote:I have a black linen micrata one underway. Should be here Tuesday. Going to order a OD green one when they hit the dealer shelves. I been waiting on these for a while.
I didn’t realize they were coming out w/ a green one. That might make me change my mind about getting one. Thanks
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

From the GEC web site.
Attachments
GEC-ILLUSTRATED-1 (3).jpg
David
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

This black 21 came in today. Ordered a OD green one today also.
Attachments
IMG_4562.JPG
David
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

DM11 wrote:This black 21 came in today. Ordered a OD green one today also.
How do you like it?
SSk
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

I'm liking it very much. Has a good pull but not a nail breaker. Its a bit lighter than my 71. The blade is pinch able with a strong pinch for those who like such. F&F is typical GEC Farm and Field. Which is quite good. The spring is almost flush with the frame at the half stop which I dont see on the more expensive GEC's that I have.
David
MDB

Post by MDB »

I did not get a Bull Buster, but I did get one of the Smith and Sons Mudbug, which is the same style with a back lock. Made by GEC for Smith and Sons.
the knife is thinner but the same length. For a large knife is pockets very well. Anyone out there have a Mudbug?
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

MDB wrote:I did not get a Bull Buster, but I did get one of the Smith and Sons Mudbug, which is the same style with a back lock. Made by GEC for Smith and Sons.
the knife is thinner but the same length. For a large knife is pockets very well. Anyone out there have a Mudbug?

Welcome MDB, glad you are here. Could you post a picture of the knife? Curious about the difference in these knives.
SSk
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

MDB wrote:I did not get a Bull Buster, but I did get one of the Smith and Sons Mudbug, which is the same style with a back lock. Made by GEC for Smith and Sons.

I got two of them OD Green from the 18 run and a Maroon from the 19 run. I'll try to post some comparison pics tomorrow.
David
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

Yes, welcome! I have a maroon Mudbug from 2018 and I like it a lot. It is why I'm not getting a Bull Buster this year, can't justify it. I can't carry it to work (blade's too long) so I wouldn't get enough use out of it to justify two of a kind and while I like it, I don't like it THAT much. I also find that it feels much smaller in the pocket, no doubt because of it's thinness. Another difference is the price. The Mudbug is what, $35 more? My only regret is that I didn't get the Smith & Sons belt sheath at the time, and now I don't want to spend the $5 extra that I could have saved on the knife and sheath package deal when I bought it.

- Lee
mudbug_1.PNG
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

This is a photo of 3 Bull Busters 2019. There's not a lot of color difference from the Black to the Green ::tu::
Attachments
Schrade & GEC Farm & Field 015.JPG
Schrade & GEC Farm & Field 024.JPG
Schrade & GEC Farm & Field 033.JPG
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Top pic is two Mudbugs. Rest of the pics are OD Green 21 & Mudbug comparison. 21 right side and Mudbug left side.
Attachments
IMG_4996.JPG
IMG_4997.JPG
IMG_5000.JPG
IMG_5002.JPG
David
m0nk

Post by m0nk »

David, thanks for those good comparison pics. Handle thickness makes a big difference, especially if you carry it in your pocket. Even if you carry it in a belt sheath and lean up against it while riding in a vehicle. Even a 71 Bull Nose feels bigger in my pocket than the Mudbug. But the real factor is that these are (supposed to be) work knives, and a thicker handle would presumably be more comfortable in the hand during hard use. Has anyone used either the Bull Buster or the Mudbug for extended cutting chores and can comment on hand feel? Does the thinner Mudbug handle cause discomfort after a full day's work?

I'm the guy who complains about the lack of black linen micarta GEC knives, yet when they make a Bull Buster and a 15 Boys knife in black linen micarta, I don't buy either of them. Hmm, maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and grab one of the black 21's. Now that I think about it, for a while I carried a yeller full size Case Sodbuster as a work knife, and I'd catch myself smiling every time I opened it. Maybe a black linen micarta Bull Buster is just what I need. Hmmm.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

No GEC sodbusters her, but I can attest that the fat-handled synthetic soddy jr. handles are far more comfortable in hand under extensive use than the slim bone-handled models. That Mudbug might be the happy medium, however, especially given the back lock.
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Those of you that have a 2019 bullbuster, how is the snap? I'm thinking of getting a green one to match my well used 2015 green bullnose but I like a hard snap for such a knife.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Those of you that have a 2019 bullbuster, how is the snap? I'm thinking of getting a green one to match my well used 2015 green bullnose but I like a hard snap for such a knife.
The pull and snap on 2019 run of 21's is a little lighter than on the 2018 71 I have. Its certainly no weaking but doesnt have the bank vault slam of the 71. My 71 was a almost nail breaker till I got some Quick Release worked into it.
David
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

DM11 wrote:
KnifeSlinger#81 wrote:Those of you that have a 2019 bullbuster, how is the snap? I'm thinking of getting a green one to match my well used 2015 green bullnose but I like a hard snap for such a knife.
The pull and snap on 2019 run of 21's is a little lighter than on the 2018 71 I have. Its certainly no weaking but doesnt have the bank vault slam of the 71. My 71 was a almost nail breaker till I got some Quick Release worked into it.
Thanks David, appreciate it. Sounds like it would be fine for my preferences.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”