P O S Roundtable 2019

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
richard

Re: P O S Roundtable 2019

Post by richard »

[quote]Still, all things considered, and especially considering some of the other piles that have been shown, this "dump" wasn't the worst I've seen. In fact, other than the synthetic handle scales, there's no reason I can see why the Schrade 5OT Lockback wouldn't make a perfectly serviceable EDC. I'll probably toss that one in the glove box of my truck. As for the others...well, if anyone sees anything they want, just let me know. Otherwise, I'm all set for next year's POS Roundtable. ::nod::

With the exception of the Sabre (Japan), it was very thoughtful of KleenCut61 to send only USA made PsOS...somehow that lessens the stench that lingers in the nose and the back of the throat just a bit.

i like the camillus bone handle one.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

bladebuddy wrote:Mike [galvanic1882] your pakapoo ::barf:: is on it’s way. Hopefully you’ll see it Tuesday, no mail on Monday. :mrgreen:
Nothing yet, plus Payson roads have been closed going in and out because of the HUGE snowfall we are getting, maybe 2 feet so far and more coming today.

Wherever that package is I hope no one is getting sick from the smell ::shrug:: if there is any
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

richard wrote:i like the camillus bone handle one.
You can have it.
Send me a PM if you want it badly enough to pay the cost of shipping it to you.

~Q~
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

Got My POS from Cletus Awreetus (Steve) well pack to keep the smell down and a letter explaining all the POS .
Nicely Done Steve
Gary
Attachments
POS 001.JPG
POS 004.JPG
POS 002.JPG
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! I didn’t get in this year, but I’ve been following the thread. I gotta say, a lot of y’all’s POS knives look better than my edc knives! Excellent show!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Colonel26 wrote:Wow! I didn’t get in this year, but I’ve been following the thread. I gotta say, a lot of y’all’s POS knives look better than my edc knives! Excellent show!
You’ll feel a lot better when you see what I sent to Kolvir. Even the EDC candidates are shameful stinkers. ::nod:: ::facepalm:: ::paranoid::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Ken, (thestretch71) may have only joined AAPK within the last year, but he obviously knows how to do a POS exchange! ::tu::
I got the package in Tuesday after the Federal holiday. I kind of thought that the Postal Service might have confiscated the package or called in hazmat to remove it. We had a bunch of packages delivered Tuesday, late in the afternoon and not all of them were opened. Some were overlooked and left by the front door.

About 0300 hrs. my wife woke me up and sent me on a search and remove mission! She thought the puppy had gotten sick in the living room. She told me I had to go find whatever the horrible smell wasn't remove it from the household because she thought I had a cold I couldn't smell it. She only thought a cold was the reason I could not smell; truth be told I had fried all of my olfactory senses the previous week when putting together a 2 pound 15.5 ounce POS box that I sent to some other poor unsuspecting soul. ::smirk::

After spending a half an hour searching the living room with a roll of paper towels and cleaner, looking for a puppy poo or puke I could find nothing, because fortunately I could smell nothing. I did happen to notice a brown stain and peeling paint on the wall above one of the boxes by the door. When I saw the return address, I put two and two together and it might be the problem. ::disgust::
I sent the box outside in the bushes and forgot about it until yesterday when the city of Salem sent one of their trucks to our street with their poo sniffer technology looking for a sewage leak.
I saw the city truck coming and realize what was happening, so I took the offending box into my shop, got out my respirator and waited for the city truck to leave before opening the package. I weighed it first and I must say I was impressed! Ken had managed to get 3 pounds 1.5 oz of POS in a flat rate box, beating my record by a full ounce! ::not_worthy::
POS box.jpg
I got the package open, through tears filled, watering eyes I laid the knife like objects out on the workbench. It was then that I discovered there were so many knives I couldn't get them all in one picture. I don't have a wide-angle lens (for my cell phone) and my shop is not large enough for me to to backup far enough to get them all in one shot. If it hadn't been for the noxious fumes that were making me lightheaded, in spite of my respirator, I might have climbed a ladder to get them all in one shot but figured that that was living dangerously given the amount of green gases rising off of the pile.

I turned the fan on, blew away the worst of the visible noxious fumes and took some quick pictures. The pictures will probably be blurry because not only were my eyes watering but the camera lens on my cell phone was watering as well., This was the first time I have observed this phenomenon!
I was quite pleasantly surprised, there were some good possibilities in this pile! ::groove::

The first row is mainly shell handle knives, and smaller knives at the bottom.
POS row 1.jpg

The second row starts up with four little Swiss Army Companions, the last of which was a nudist. Then there is a Kabar with used up blades, a Ranger with used up and broken blades, a cute little something with wooden handles and no visible markings, a beautiful little Diamond Edge with no hope the blades and a little peanut that I have no idea what it is.
POS row 2.jpg

The third row showed the most promise!
Right off the bat and opened up with a Craftsman fish knife. The handles are beautiful, the fish scaler/caplifter/hook remover blade appears to have not been used but the master blade snapped off right above the tang. ::dang:: ::dang:: Nothing to do with that one except replace the blade but I don't have a blade that will fit it among my two dozen fish knife/parts knives.
The Craftsman was followed by an M Klein with usable parts, and easy open that has had the nomenclature ground off of it as well as the blades thinned so badly there like paper. Beneath that is in Imperial which has lots of parts in it, in fact I think most of it is probably salvageable and beneath it a Made In U.S.A.which may have a good blade and a decent rear handle.
The ebony Challenge Cutlery has some potential. The large pen blade is good but the small pen blade is used up to a nub. Not sure what I can do with it yet but it should be fun. To the right of that row is a Easy Lap Diamond Hone, which is always useful.
POS row 3.jpg
BUT.............. (wait for it)..................... my favorite of the entire box was:
This little Ulster with the celluloid falling off the handles! ::ds:: ::ds::

POS Ulster Knife Co.jpg
I have stripped the remainder of the celluloid handles from the Ulster and set it aside in my TO DO pile.

This was great fun! :mrgreen:
And it's always interesting to see what sort of knives other people hang on to hoping that this might someday be able to make it better.
I guess I'm not such a sick puppy after all! :lol:

Thank you Ken, ::handshake::
Perhaps next year I can draw your name and return the favor, and probably a few knives also. :mrgreen:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Jporter1974

Post by Jporter1974 »

Tony, I got the knives today and I have to say that I definitely got more than a few good knives. You know that sometimes we get hung up on a brand and overlook certain knives even if they have bone handles, brass liners and good blades..thank you for supplying me with a small arsenal to drop on a couple guys I know.. ::sneaky:: ..boda-bing, boda-boom.. ::groove:: ~Jon
Jporter1974

Post by Jporter1974 »

Sorry guys I'm struggling with my camera and pictures... I am trying to find my files from earlier today ~Jon
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Jporter1974 wrote:Tony, I got the knives today and I have to say that I definitely got more than a few good knives. You know that sometimes we get hung up on a brand and overlook certain knives even if they have bone handles, brass liners and good blades..thank you for supplying me with a small arsenal to drop on a couple guys I know.. ::sneaky:: ..boda-bing, boda-boom.. ::groove:: ~Jon
Glad they arrived safely and undissolved in their own stink! :lol: Enjoy...if you can stomach 'em! ::smirk::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Sharpcutsbest wrote:
Eustace...........Thanks for the information. I can't read the receipt but it sure looks COOL! A couple of weeks wait isn't bad at all when it's travelling all the way from Bulgaria. I'm honored (I hope :lol: ) to be receiving your package.
February 22, 2019 at 4:00 pm

Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

JAMAICA NY INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Suspicious package from a dark Balkan subject crossed the ocean and is now in New York. God save America ...
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

I thought it was over. I figured 'Reverand' had done about all that could be done to me. Mess cleaned up, product stored, sanity returned....then this happened. A fresh box in my mail box. I hadn't ordered anything. Who could it be from? Totally unprepared I opened it and to my amazement and horror ken98k had slapped me with a fresh (?) box of POS. When viewing his box I had innocently (naively) asked a question about one of his 'items'. I did not see the evil man who lives behind the tag of ken98k. To my shock and horror he forwarded it to me with an 'in your face' note. I am devastated but recovering. A double supply of POS! See for yourself.
DSCN5373.JPG
DSCN5374.JPG
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

doglegg wrote:I thought it was over. I figured 'Reverand' had done about all that could be done to me. Mess cleaned up, product stored, sanity returned....then this happened. A fresh box in my mail box. I hadn't ordered anything. Who could it be from? Totally unprepared I opened it and to my amazement and horror ken98k had slapped me with a fresh (?) box of POS. When viewing his box I had innocently (naively) asked a question about one of his 'items'. I did not see the evil man who lives behind the tag of ken98k. To my shock and horror he forwarded it to me with an 'in your face' note. I am devastated but recovering. A double supply of POS! See for yourself.DSCN5373.JPGDSCN5374.JPG
Those knives are very well travelled! :D
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

"Those knives are very well travelled! :D"

I'll say! ::nod:: From Sacramento, Ca. to North Pole, Alaska and then Texas. If they could only describe all of their travels!
Kolvir

Post by Kolvir »

I got the package from Mumbleypeg a while ago. Sorry for the late photo post, my eyes have finally opened up enough that I could type again. The stink had swelled them shut, though my muscles and jaw are awfully stiff and sore; when did I get my last tetanus shot?
100_2353.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Hmm, that brass Balisong sure looks familiar. :mrgreen:
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Kolvir

Post by Kolvir »

I'm thinking that regifting(or resh*tting) is common here. I plan to continue that tradition next year!
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

I actually like the little white fixed.
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Now I remember where I saw that (actually one like it) Balisong. I used to keep it in a cigar box with the other POS candidates but at some point in time, I moved it to my low-end knife roll.
Attachments
Parker - Japan - Balisong - 4¼ in closed.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Kolvir wrote:I'm thinking that regifting(or resh*tting) is common here. I plan to continue that tradition next year!
I have “regifted” some POS before. But the sh, er, stuff I sent this year is all virgin, never before shared, from a new source! ::paranoid:: And there’s more where that came from. ::facepalm:: So I was happy to divest some of it.

But feel free to share, spread it around - after all, that’s the best use for fertilizer. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

zoogirl wrote:I actually like the little white fixed.
Ann be careful making observations like that. Some times the results are insufferable! (don't let it get out but I thought it interesting as well)
Kolvir

Post by Kolvir »

If anyone wants it I'll send it if you cover shipping.
zoogirl

Post by zoogirl »

Have to pass. Shipping it up here is prob more than it’s worth! Still nice, though. I do like little fixed blades!
I’m too young to be this old!
“Hey Ann, gotchyer knife?!”
Sharpcutsbest

Post by Sharpcutsbest »

Jody, glad you like it! I enjoyed seeing your son opening the box. Good call, their immune system is more robust than yours.

This is my first POS. When I read the invitation I thought Piece not Pile. I'll try to better next time.

Eustice, thanks for the heads up! I agree, God help America!
thestretch71
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by thestretch71 »

Dale

I am pleased you can find something of interest and or usable in the Box.
Had I drawn another name I would likely not have sent quite that many knives. Your fine reputation as a master mechanic is why I decided to fill the box as much as I could.
You just never know when somebody may ask you to work up an old Kabar & you could use some of those parts.
The little wood knife is actually a Shapleigh & does have some shoe advertising faintly visible on the side.

The second reason I went for Quantity is .... well I was severely lacking in any quality this year. I completely understand the rules of this game & It's only my second year to participate but I would always like to include at least some good with the bad. I just didn't hardly have much of anything good on hand at the time.

A few of those came to me in last years box. The rest were mostly provided by my dad. He likes to bid & Buy at estate sales also. I told him a few years ago that pretty much any knife made in the US has at least some value. I have since amended that a few times to include Intact blades, etc. He snagged a few batches of knifes that were 70% broken. It's fair trade , I buy as much old train items for him & my picks are not always stellar either.

Ken

PS... Zoogirl
I did receive the pack last Friday & will be posting on your Poetry & knife selections later today. :lol:

Return to “General Knife Discussion”