#82 Dixie Stockmans

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: #82 Dixie Stockmans

Post by JohnR »

Heads up,CK has both Possum Skinners available right now.
Lansky1

Post by Lansky1 »

JohnR wrote:Heads up,CK has both Possum Skinners available right now.

Thanks for the heads up ::tu:: - price is a bit better than expected. The only thing that scares me is that CK says the snap is a 2 on a scale of 1-5 (5 being hard). Seems on the anemic side, kind of like everything I've read on the #35 Churchill's, which is why I never could bring myself to order one of those. That's the one aspect I really like about all the late model Case Muskrats I've modded, is that they're all a solid 4 on the scale of 1-5 - consistently a very snappy pattern.

Can you pls fill us on your overall impression & walk and talk when you receive yours, I'd appreciate that.
pffffft that's not a knife ......... now THAT'S a knife !! Crocodile Dundee

John
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My stag #35 Churchill has good spring tension, not at all wimpy.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

JohnR wrote:Heads up,CK has both Possum Skinners available right now.

John, Any idea if KSF is going to get these Possum Skinners soon? I have a coupon I am waiting to use. I don’t want to miss them while they are still available somewhere else. I see Gunstock Jacks has them in today. Surely KSF will have some soon?
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Just got my answer. KSF has the Possum Skinners in stock now too.
SSk
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

My 82 Possum Skinner came today. I am excited about this Elderberry Bone. It looks great on this and the stockman. Here are all 4 of the 82’s that I purchased.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5102.jpeg
IMG_5103.jpeg
IMG_5104.jpeg
IMG_5105.jpeg
IMG_5106.jpeg
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Looks like you're hooked Mark! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

gsmith7158 wrote:Looks like you're hooked Mark! ::tu::
I am Greg. I just combined all my GEC knives in one display case and it’s getting full quickly. My wife asked why I had left some room, my answer of course was that it is for future purchases. I have a lot of early reserves at CK, so I think I can fill it soon. And man do those knives look great all together like that.
SSk
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is my just arrived stag Dixie. I very much like the not typical blade profiles: a Wharncliffe-like blade beside the master, and a drop point at the other end. No sheepsfoot or spey blades makes this a unique stockman knife. Great design GEC !
kj
Attachments
IMGP5901.JPG
IMGP5902.JPG
IMGP5900.JPG
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

A plus stag on that one Roland! ::tu:: Very nice. ::nod::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

My Possum Skinner came today.
Attachments
GEC 828218 Dixie Possum Skinner Northfield Elderberry Jigged Bone - Labeled.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Greg. After paying for it, the pictures disappeared on KSF and i could not remember what the stag looked like. However they did send me one with almost bolster to bolster exterior stag. However i think it is the blade profiles on this stockman that make it a special knife and one that has a 'blade for most occasions', i.e. excellent 'forever' EDC.
kj
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Here is my just arrived stag Dixie. I very much like the not typical blade profiles: a Wharncliffe-like blade beside the master, and a drop point at the other end. No sheepsfoot or spey blades makes this a unique stockman knife. Great design GEC !
kj

Roland, You did pick a nice one. That’s the nicest stag on one of these I have seen. Nice going.
SSk
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Ssk. I am a bit fussy about stag handles and there are many that do not appeal to me. KSF had 2 pages of stag Dixie's and i had a quick scan of them all and was surprised that this one was still there when i went back to it, as it had the least amount of 'white' showing.
I also just received a very nice stag 78 "American Jack" that i posted in the #78 thread.
kj
JohnR
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by JohnR »

kootenay joe wrote:Here is my just arrived stag Dixie. I very much like the not typical blade profiles: a Wharncliffe-like blade beside the master, and a drop point at the other end. No sheepsfoot or spey blades makes this a unique stockman knife. Great design GEC !
kj

You sure picked a nice one Roland, great stag!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is the GEC #82 Dixie Stockman compared to a 4" "Forged/U.S.A." Slender Stockman which was made by Camillus for Sears in the 1930's-'40's.
The GEC is 1/8" longer and a bit thicker, but i think this is the stag not the frame. Blade stock looks to be of the same thickness.
The Camillus is a bit more serpentine (curvy).
The master blades are similar. The GEC stretches out the curve of spine to edge on it's 'sheepsfoot' making it more of a Wharncliffe. This drops the spine of this blade when closed so that the grip is more comfortable. And in stead of a spey blade GEC has inserted a very slight drop point which i think is the most useful blade of the lot. Never seen this in a stockman before and i think it is a great idea, worth buying the knife just for this blade.
Just thought you might find the comparison with a 70-80 year old USA knife to be interesting. I do.
kj
Attachments
IMGP5918.JPG
IMGP5919.JPG
IMGP5920.JPG
IMGP5921.JPG
IMGP5922.JPG
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

kootenay joe wrote:Here is the GEC #82 Dixie Stockman compared to a 4" "Forged/U.S.A." Slender Stockman which was made by Camillus for Sears in the 1930's-'40's.
The GEC is 1/8" longer and a bit thicker, but i think this is the stag not the frame. Blade stock looks to be of the same thickness.
The Camillus is a bit more serpentine (curvy).
The master blades are similar. The GEC stretches out the curve of spine to edge on it's 'sheepsfoot' making it more of a Wharncliffe. This drops the spine of this blade when closed so that the grip is more comfortable. And in stead of a spey blade GEC has inserted a very slight drop point which i think is the most useful blade of the lot. Never seen this in a stockman before and i think it is a great idea, worth buying the knife just for this blade.
Just thought you might find the comparison with a 70-80 year old USA knife to be interesting. I do.
kj
Very interesting comparison. GEC is really resurrecting these old patterns well.
SSk
JET79

Post by JET79 »

Wow, really liking all the pics I'm seeing. To answer the original question to this post, I wasn't crazy about this knife when I first saw it but then I realized that the muskrat clip is very similar to the blade on the leatherman of which I use extensively. So... I picked up the natural canvas micarta and.... I love this knife. I'm coming to understand what I like more in my knives now that I'm gaining a more sizable collection and I really enjoy a handle that stretches out across my palm. I feel that the blades on this knife are perfect for a lot of everyday tasks. Definitely recommend this knife now and I'm really glad that it's not a super crazy popular pattern or it would've been gone by the time I came around to it. Cheers guys
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
I am Greg. I just combined all my GEC knives in one display case and it’s getting full quickly. My wife asked why I had left some room, my answer of course was that it is for future purchases. I have a lot of early reserves at CK, so I think I can fill it soon. And man do those knives look great all together like that.
SSk
SSk,
Sure would love to see your display! :D
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

boykinlp wrote:
Sharpnshinyknives wrote:
SSk
SSk,
Sure would love to see your display! :D
Here you go. I am not happy with the way this looks, I need to spread them out and start a second display case. Fortunately my wife got me 3 extra display cases for Christmas. Just hope I don’t fill them all this year.
SSk
Attachments
IMG_5228.jpeg
wlf

Post by wlf »

Nice knives fellas, you can’t go wrong with a GEC knife.

Roland you got a nice stag example. Mark you’re bitten, great collection.

John I see where your knife budget went.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

I ended up with two of the 82's this run, an elderberry and a copperhead. Really nice stockman pattern that I like much better than I expected. I am now seeking out the older slant bolster ones as they look really nice. I'll get a micarta 82 as a user as the two I have now are just for looking. The 82 is too good of a knife with unique and useful blades to not have a user.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
boykinlp

Post by boykinlp »

Sharpnshinyknives wrote:Here you go. I am not happy with the way this looks, I need to spread them out and start a second display case. Fortunately my wife got me 3 extra display cases for Christmas. Just hope I don’t fill them all this year.
SSk
Mark,
You got a nice collection and isn't it awesome to be able to easily look at it whenever you want to?
Larry
Larry

Each one, teach one.
Modern Slip Joints

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

Anyone who can easily do so please post a picture of an 82 Dixie Stockman beside a 53 Stockman. I'd like to see how much broader the 53's handle and blades are.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Modern Slip Joints wrote:Anyone who can easily do so please post a picture of an 82 Dixie Stockman beside a 53 Stockman. I'd like to see how much broader the 53's handle and blades are.
I can do that for you once I get home, if nobody beats me to it.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”