Any one care to help me out identify this imperial knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Hoss29860

Any one care to help me out identify this imperial knife

Post by Hoss29860 »

Hi I just brought this imperial from a coworker . I've found out it was made in the 1959-1988 time frame by the tang stamp but I don't know much about imperial knifes. I believe it to be a 855 stockmen pattern. Because I'm honestly just guessing its a stockmen due to its shape . so figured somebody here would be able to help me identify it correctly
Attachments
0110191635.jpg
0110191636b.jpg
0110191637a.jpg
Steve Warden

Re: Any one care to help me out identify this imperial knife

Post by Steve Warden »

Sorry I can't help with exact ID, but I do know a Stockman has 3 blades - a clip for the main and a combination of sheepsfoot, spey, pen, or punch.
Most of my stockmans have clip, sheepsfoot and spey.
Take care and God bless,

Steve
TSgt USAF, Retired
1980-2000

But any knife is better than no knife! ~ Mumbleypeg (aka Ken)
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

The shape of your knife is called "serpentine", which has nothing do with whether or not it is a stockman, although some stockman knives are built on a serpentine frame. The blades determine whether a knife is a stockman pattern. A stockman typically has three blades, one of which is usually a spay blade. The other blades most often include a clip master blade and a sheepfoot or a pen as the other secondary. As with most things cutlery related there are exceptions.

If you can post a picture of the knife with blades open, we can tell what pattern it is. ::tu::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

What I'm seeing is a shell handle 1956-1988 Imperial (single blade???) serpentine jack that's had the sheet celluloid covers stripped off. Are there more blades your pictures don't show?
Attachments
Imperia & Hammer Brandl Tang Stamps.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Hoss29860

Post by Hoss29860 »

jerryd6818 wrote:What I'm seeing is a shell handle 1956-1988 Imperial (single blade???) serpentine jack that's had the sheet celluloid covers stripped off. Are there more blades your pictures don't show?
yes there are a total of three blades here's a picture showing them
Attachments
0110191715.jpg
0110191715a.jpg
Hoss29860

Post by Hoss29860 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:The shape of your knife is called "serpentine", which has nothing do with whether or not it is a stockman, although some stockman knives are built on a serpentine frame. The blades determine whether a knife is a stockman pattern. A stockman typically has three blades, one of which is usually a spay blade. The other blades most often include a clip master blade and a sheepfoot or a pen as the other secondary. As with most things cutlery related there are exceptions.

If you can post a picture of the knife with blades open, we can tell what pattern it is. ::tu::

Ken
Here's pictures show all blades thanks for your help
Attachments
0110191726.jpg
0110191726a.jpg
0110191725.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Unusual blade assortment. I'd call it a serpentine pen, but most of those have just two blades. The lack of a spay or sheepfoot precludes it's being a stockman IMHO. Hard to say from your pictures but is it possible the larger of the secondary blades has been reshaped from a spay blade?

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Hoss29860

Post by Hoss29860 »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Unusual blade assortment. I'd call it a serpentine pen, but most of those have just two blades. The lack of a spay or sheepfoot precludes it's being a stockman IMHO. Hard to say from your pictures but is it possible the larger of the secondary blades has been reshaped from a spay blade?

Ken
Ken I'm not sure if it's been reshaped to me it doesn't look like it to me but then again I'm a newbie to this whole knife collectin thing and have tons of learning to do . ill post up close picture for the more skillful eyes can tell if its been reshaped. But I do want to thank everyone for there help. it means a lot to find a place with helpful members when your a newbie like myself with tons of learning to do
Attachments
0110191820.jpg
0110191832.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It doesn't appear to be reshaped from what can see into those pictures. I'm no Imperial expert. Maybe someone will recognize it or have some old catalog cuts to compare.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”