Interesting and Instructive

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Interesting and Instructive

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Here's an old Tested XX jack with some "character". When I first saw it my initial reaction was "what's that Delrin shield doing on a Tested era knife?" I thought it should go in the counterfeits thread. But on closer examination I believe it to be an HOK that has a "tall S" shield, with the inner oval just worn off due to pocket wear. https://www.ebay.com/itm/CASE-TESTED-XX ... SwWCdZkf9I

Ken
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (26.15 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (27.15 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Re: Interesting and Instructive

Post by zp4ja »

Not sure Ken. If in fact the oval is pocket worn I would expect the rest of the shield lettering to show wear also.

Pictures are not best to see much more.

Personally would steer clear based on variables I stated above. Just my opinion.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I compared what I believe is an XX style shield used on Tested XX knife to the shield in question. I can't draw a counterfeit / not counterfeit conclusion from this analysis. Here is what I observe:

1. The shield is either smaller than the typical shield or the lettering is larger than typical lettering.
2. I don't see any evidence of a the inner oval remaining, which seems odd given the apparent lack of wear on the letters (as Jerry zp4ja mentioned)

In the picture below on the left side I made the size of the shields equal which made the size of the letter unequal. On the right side of the picture I made the size of the lettering equal which made the size of the shields unequal.

The bottom shields on both sides of the picture is my shield with the lettering from the shield in question painted red and superimposed on top of the lettering on my shield. It is possible that my shield could be the one that it is out of whack :).
Attachments
Case Shield Compare.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Jerry (both of you). :lol: Getting others opinions is why I posted it. You may be right but look at the shape of the "S" . I think it looks taller than the Delrin shield "S" . I noticed the handles look very worn too.

I have no interest in the knife - not a pattern I'm interested in and certainly not in the condition of this one in any case. Just thought it interesting looking, especially the shield. The rest of the knife looks okay to me but what do you think? You're probably both more familiar with this pattern than me. Have to ask myself why anyone would bother to fake a knife in this condition too. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here is the delrin shield on top and the op shield on the bottom. It doesn't look like the delrin shield has a standing S.
Attachments
Case Delrin shield.jpeg
Case Delrin shield.jpeg (17.16 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
20190109_203307.jpg
20190109_203307.jpg (5.47 KiB) Viewed 1531 times
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Hard to tell but I'm inclined to say the master blade is a transplant. Not at all common to see a shield with the oval surround missing and all letting so intact. Pen blade looks out of place considering the amount of ware on the master. Pictures aren't clear enough for me to say for certain what the handle material is be it doesn't necessarily look like bone to me.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks Greg and Wayne for your input. Without knife in hand or better pictures, it's a mystery. ::shrug::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”