New Guy here - Show off knife too

The W.R. Case & Sons Cutlery Company has a very rich history that began in 1889 when William Russell (“W.R.”), Jean, John, and Andrew Case began fashioning their knives and selling them along a wagon trail in upstate New York. The company has produced countless treasures and it continues to do so as one of the most collected brands in the world.
LeftyKnifeGuy

New Guy here - Show off knife too

Post by LeftyKnifeGuy »

Been lurking for a while. Got a new knife so decided to join. New to this collecting stuff and am addicted at the moment. Here's some pics of the new knife. IT'S A BEAUT! Should be here today.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg
s-l1600-3.jpg
s-l1600-4.jpg
s-l1600-5.jpg
s-l1600-6.jpg
s-l1600-7.jpg
Now, as they say, here's the rest of the story. I called myself researching this prior to purchase off Ebay. Due to inexperience on this forum I wasn't able to find out anything here. I did make comparisons to other knives and other than the upside down shield I couldn't see any other differences. Figured someone put the shield in upside down and didn't wan to redo it. Of course after the purchase I was able to locate information that would have prevented me from buying or at least ask some questions. The Ebay seller seems to be one of this forum's "favorite" sellers out of Tennessee. So now I have doubts as to the authenticity of this knife. Y'alls input would be appreciated. OH YEAH...don't be too hard on me....LOL

here's the Ebay link: https://www.ebay.com/itm/BEAUTIFUL-CASE ... 2749.l2649
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: New Guy here - Show off knife too

Post by doglegg »

Well welcome, your story sounds pretty familiar to most of us. We have done things research would have stopped us from. I think the knife looks good but I'm not the expert. I have an affinity for Dr's Knives although I only have one. It will be interesting to hear the consensus. Be sure and post you future purchases with us.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK.

Other than someone at the factory having a brain f**t and putting the shield in upside down (which I understand does happen on occasion) I don't see anything wrong with the knife. It's a 2001 single blade Doctor's knife with what looks to me like Staged Bone handles. Doctor knives are what started me down the road to ruin. Since then I've gone in several different directions. I'm no genius on 'em but unless there's something someone else sees, I'd say the knife is right as rain.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Eye Brand Man

Post by Eye Brand Man »

Shield probably fell off and somebody glued it back upside down.
Eye Brand Collector
geocash
Gold Tier
Gold Tier
Location: Southern Appalachian Mountains, outdoors preferably

Post by geocash »

I won't admit to ever gluing a shield back on upside down. But if you asked me if I turned a round one half the way, well.... maybe so.
geocash
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Looks like a nice knife, never been used. I wonder if there is a way to break /dissolve the glue
on that and turn it around. Maybe Case factory can help you out?

Bob
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

Lefty, welcome to AAPK and thank you for posting pictures with your question. Like others have already mentioned, the knife is good ::tu::

You’ll probably never be able to figure out the who, when, where, and why of the shield being upside down. You don’t need to be as paranoid about stuff like this on newer knives. On an older knife this would be more of a cause for concern.
samb1955

Post by samb1955 »

Welcome to the forum.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Lefty welcome to aapk and you would do well to question things that show old rocky top in the photo. ::paranoid::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

LeftyKnifeGuy, ::welcome:: to AAPK!
I too don't see any issue with the knife other than the shield.
I did notice something in the sellers description, one statement in the middle says, "Please look at the pictures good before bidding." He knew what he had for sale and in a round about way told the buyer to beware. ::sneaky:: Just my opinion. :)
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK Lefty! As others have said, knife looks fine except for the shield.
treefarmer wrote: I did notice something in the sellers description, one statement in the middle says, "Please look at the pictures good before bidding." He knew what he had for sale and in a round about way told the buyer to beware. ::sneaky:: Just my opinion. :)
Treefarmer
I had the same thought. ::nod::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
LeftyKnifeGuy

Post by LeftyKnifeGuy »

Thanks for the welcome Gentlemen>

treefarmer wrote:LeftyKnifeGuy, ::welcome:: to AAPK!
I too don't see any issue with the knife other than the shield.
I did notice something in the sellers description, one statement in the middle says, "Please look at the pictures good before bidding." He knew what he had for sale and in a round about way told the buyer to beware. ::sneaky:: Just my opinion. :)
Treefarmer
Yeah, I seen that statement. That's another reason I researched as much s I did. FWIW I checked some of his other items and they said the same. I suspect he's trying to cover his self when he is informed the item "might not" be what he says. After having found some information I have an idea who and what locations to be cautious of when looking at knives. Unfortunately I'm in one of those areas, KY.....LOL.

As far as the knife goes, I got it yesterday. Looks as good as it does in the pictures. Gonna wipe it down, oil it and put it up. The shield HAS apparently fallen off at some point and was installed upside down AFTER it left the factory. If you look at the first picture you'll see a "white" area at the upper left side of the shield. This area of the shield appears/feels to be shaved. If the shield is turned to it's proper position I'm pretty sure it will match up to the shape of the handle. As it sits now the shield is not flush on the right side. Probably will leave the shield as is unless there's some reason to install it correctly. To me it'll make a good conversation/speculation piece but not hurt it's value.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Well, you got it for just about the right price anyway. Not too much and you didn't steal it so no harm no foul.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
donjr

Post by donjr »

I think your Tang Stamp is correct = The V - stands for Vintage, the 5 means - Stag, the 1- is the number of Blades, and the 85 is the Pattern Number (Doctor"s). So what you have is a Vintage Stag, Doctor's Knife ,with an upside down shield. Very Nice Doctor's Knife

Return to “Case Knife Collector's Forum”