Value of a Henkel Triodwr Inox Folding Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
227thcrewchief

Value of a Henkel Triodwr Inox Folding Knife

Post by 227thcrewchief »

Good afternoon all,
This is my first time on the forum site, so please forgive me if what I'm about to ask is not in line with the purpose of this site. I was a vendor at a knife and gun show yesterday located in Port Charlotte, FL and traded a Winchester Gut Hook Sheath Knife for a Henkels Triodwr Inox folding pocket knife in near mint condition. Please take a look at the pictures and can anyone tell me the retail value?
Many Thanks
Huey Crew Chief
Attachments
2019-01-07 001.JPG
2019-01-07 005.JPG
2019-01-07 002.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Value of a Henkel Triodwr Inox Folding Knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! Nice looking knife. What is its closed length?

It's "Friodur" which is the name Henckels calls their temper process. Sorry I don't have any idea on value but someone else here may know more. Providing retail value appraisals is not really the purpose of AAPK but the question gets asked, and sometimes answered. Nobody here is going to banish you to the dungeons for asking. :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Welcome Huey!

As Ken says the term "Friodur" refers to a process of cryogenically quenching the steel to improve it's properties. I think I'd call your knife a gent's (gentleman's) knife, i.e., a dress knife. Unless it is some special pattern Henckels' collectors covet, my guess is $30 - $50. If you go to the upper right and search in the Member Stores for "Friodur" you will see some such knives, though not yours. Probably your best bet is to search for sold Henckels Friodur knives on eBay and see if your specific pattern has sold recently... that will give you a good idea of value.

Here is a brief discussion of the term Friodur: https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/en/help ... l/friodur/

Dennis
richard

Post by richard »

i would say was fair trade, as they worth about the same.$35/$45.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Huey, I think the 30-50 range is about right for your knife. As a knife maker, I will tell you that cryo treating stainless steel has been done for quite a few years in the custom knife business. It is a process where you submerge the blade after heat treating in liquid nitrogen (about -300 degrees). It does improve the quality of the heat treat. Firearm makers have played around with cryo treating their barrels. Nice looking "gentlemen knife". and welcome to AAPK ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Henckels made metal handled 'Gent's' knives by the millions. Ebay usually has many listed. I have about 75 of them. They are very well made knives but worth very little. Almost nobody wants them. Supply exceeds demand by a thousand fold. If i were to list the Henckels Gent's knives i have on ebay with an opening bid of $0.99, i would end up with about $5 average per knife.
kj
227thcrewchief

Post by 227thcrewchief »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Welcome to AAPK! Nice looking knife. What is its closed length?

It's "Friodur" which is the name Henckels calls their temper process. Sorry I don't have any idea on value but someone else here may know more. Providing retail value appraisals is not really the purpose of AAPK but the question gets asked, and sometimes answered. Nobody here is going to banish you to the dungeons for asking. :lol:

Ken
Thaks Ken, for the heads up on Friodur
227thcrewchief

Post by 227thcrewchief »

terryl308 wrote:Huey, I think the 30-50 range is about right for your knife. As a knife maker, I will tell you that cryo treating stainless steel has been done for quite a few years in the custom knife business. It is a process where you submerge the blade after heat treating in liquid nitrogen (about -300 degrees). It does improve the quality of the heat treat. Firearm makers have played around with cryo treating their barrels. Nice looking "gentlemen knife". and welcome to AAPK ::handshake:: Terry

Thank You for your Service, I was with The First Cavalry Airmobile Division. And thank you for the information.
227thcrewchief

Post by 227thcrewchief »

deo-pa wrote:Welcome Huey!

As Ken says the term "Friodur" refers to a process of cryogenically quenching the steel to improve it's properties. I think I'd call your knife a gent's (gentleman's) knife, i.e., a dress knife. Unless it is some special pattern Henckels' collectors covet, my guess is $30 - $50. If you go to the upper right and search in the Member Stores for "Friodur" you will see some such knives, though not yours. Probably your best bet is to search for sold Henckels Friodur knives on eBay and see if your specific pattern has sold recently... that will give you a good idea of value.

Here is a brief discussion of the term Friodur: https://cuttingedgeknives.co.uk/en/help ... l/friodur/

Dennis
Thank You
227thcrewchief

Post by 227thcrewchief »

kootenay joe wrote:Henckels made metal handled 'Gent's' knives by the millions. Ebay usually has many listed. I have about 75 of them. They are very well made knives but worth very little. Almost nobody wants them. Supply exceeds demand by a thousand fold. If i were to list the Henckels Gent's knives i have on ebay with an opening bid of $0.99, i would end up with about $5 average per knife.
kj
Thank You for your input
227thcrewchief

Post by 227thcrewchief »

deo-pa wrote:Welcome Huey!

Dennis
Thank You for your reply and the education.
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Regardless of value, I'd still think you got the better end of the deal. Those Winchesters (while those I've gotten recently are better quality than those say, 4-5 years ago) aren't exactly stellar in their performance or edge retention. But, the steel Henckels uses is. As users, these old gentleman's knives are the best value I think there is. Most, viewed as "cheap giveaway knives" don't sell for much, but performance-wise are excellent. I enjoy collecting them and using them since they don't cost much, and look good, so they can be used as a formal knife as well as an EDC.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Absolutely the Henckels are well made knives particularly the pre 1960 ones which were Henckels' made. But price of these now is not a function of quality or of original price. Price is strictly a function of, how many are there (lots) and how many people want them (not many).
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”