Schrade tang stamps

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Beag1eGal

Schrade tang stamps

Post by Beag1eGal »

Is it my imagination, or does it seem like Schrade Old Timer collectors are more interested in the 3 line tang stamp than a 2 line?
I do not see any difference in the years they were produced.
Maybe they really are not more interested in the 3 lines but it seems they are bringing more $$ on some sites.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Schrade tang stamps

Post by Shearer »

In the Schrade Old Timers Knives.
For example:
Schrade Walden NY USA has the 8OT on the other side 1959- 1973
Schrade NY USA 8OT 1973 to about 1980
Schrade USA 80T around 1980 to closed 2004

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

They might want a little more for that 1959r. LOL
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Thanks guys.. appreciate the info.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

LOL... funny you should post this about the Old Timers....

I am trying to figure out how to get my hands on a few stragglers for my collection...
Year model and tang stamp isn't a great concern of mine.... Just as long as it says "USA" on it.... LOL.

It's a slippery slope when it comes to tang stamps. The older the knife is dated from the tang stamp makes it more desirable for some collectors. THEN, you have to look at the condition of the blades. Factory fresh.... sharpened once.... heavily sharpened.... sharpened to a nub... All these factors go into the collect-ability (and VALUE) of a knife.

I have seen people put knives out for sale that have the old tang stamps but they blades are practically gone.... LOL.... If you ask they are quick to tell you, "This is an old one and really valuable."

Anyway, I guess to put it in a nutshell, the tang stamp does give you an age range for the time period it was made.

Mike
:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
Beag1eGal

Post by Beag1eGal »

Mike, let me know what you are looking for please. (If that's ok to state.)
Thanks for everyone's info.
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Oh yes I would be glad to post my Old Timer "wants" here....LOL.

I have just in the last few days found some of the hard to find ones but I still need to locate a few.
These that are find were the ones that didn't sell very well so there is just not a lot of them out there.

I am looking for the ones listed in this thread....

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=60314

I am sure you have 3 or 4 of each you will sell cheap....right?

Mike
::super_happy::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The older the stamp the more desirable, to me and probably to most collectors, when the required condition of the knife is met. If the condition isn't perfect or near perfect then it becomes an impulse buy but the hole in the collection is not filled for me.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”